Ringing noise in 3rd and 4th gear

Shidifen

Jan 3, 2006
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie to the dirtbike world and have recently purchased a 1990 KDX200. I love the bike but I have noticed that in 3rd and 4th gear there is a ringing noise when I am hard on the throttle. It is a metallic ringing sound that can also be heard by other people as I ride by. If I let off the throttle the noise disappears and if I roll on the throttle it comes back. Any thoughts on what this might be? Is it the power valve?
I have one more question. My bike has about 2300 miles on it and I believe it still has the original piston. Since I don't know a lot of history about the bike would you recommend that I replace the piston? I have searched the forum and it seems like the KDX200 is pretty bullet proof but I don't want to damage anything. Particularly since I'm having so much fun.

Many thanks,
Stephen

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
I'd at least tear it down and take a look at the condition of the piston and the KIPS valves. You should also check the condition of the bearings on the bike and grease them while your at it. The ringing could be the pipe vibrating. This could happen if the pipe/cylinder crush gasket is not installed or one of the pipe dampers is missing or broken.

Top Bottom