Ripped off by FunMartCycle on KTM purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tahuya Rat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 11, 2002
I just purchased an '03 525 SX from Tim Taber of FunMartCycle in Moline, Illinois.

Before bidding, I called the contact listed, Tim Taber, to inquire about the condition. The bike was advertized as a "Demo with Electric Start", "Very good condition", "Needs nothing". Tim asserted that all the above was true, there was nothing wrong with it, and the bike had very low hours, no more than 30. I even questioned him about the rear fender. The picture was taken a ways from the bike, but it seemed like there was some discolorization, like when it gets tweaked. I asked if he was sure, cause it looked like it, and I needed to know if there was anything else at all wrong with the bike before I bid on it. He insisted this was not the case, everything was fine. He gave me a price for shipping fed ex. I put in a bid, and "won" the auction. This was 8/17/04
The bike arrived on 8/27/04. As soon as my son and I got it out of the crate we started to find some massively glaring problems. This "demo" bike was one of the most hammered bikes I have ever seen in my life! Apparently, "demo" stands for "demolished" in Moline! This bike showed wear that I never came close to on my exc I just sold after 4000++ miles of NW singletrack, wear in places that don't even make sense, not to mention parts that'd been raped off it!
Here's a list of what we've found after just a cursory inspection w/o even riding it;

KTM 525 SX
Vin#VBKMXM4353M537614
Bike description - Demo “In very good condition” , “needs nothing to go riding”
Initial inspection upon uncrating found;
1) No MSO or Bill of Sale (just got in mail)
2) Both fork’s seals leak profusely
3) Shock squeaks, sounds like it’s out of fluid
4) 2 small holes in front of seat caused by long term wear
5) Frame guards on both sides show a great deal of wear
6) Handlebars and clamps show grooves - long term wear from cables/hoses rubbing
7) Both air box bolts missing, air box decals peeling
8) Rear fender tweaked from crashing, 2 bolts missing. Large black rubber marks on underside of fender from bottoming rear wheel on jumps.
9) Wear marks on right side of fuel tank from long term rubbing by riding gear, wear on top from long term wear from seat & shrouds, frame/tank rubbers completely wore out
10) Large crack in left radiator shroud, small one on right.
11) 1 rim lock missing on front wheel, 1 missing on rear wheel
12) Generator cover beat up from crashes and leaks oil
13) Aluminum chainguard housing is missing
14) Charging system INOP
15) Radiator brackets bent on both sides from crashing, has cracks where stiffening bars are welded on.
16) Lots of scratches on front fender from multiple crashes.
17) Right case (clutch cover), footpegs and brake lever has wear marks indicative of extensive hard use
18) Large gouges on clutch master cylinder -
19) NO OIL FILTERS INSTALLED IN ENGINE
20) auto decompression starting stystem INOP

I talked to Tim on Friday, he said to add up the costs and he'd see what he could do. I got most of it to 'em right away and waited for him to call back. This morning I called him. He said I was being too picky and that there unwilling to make any effort to set thing right on the bike, nor were they willing to take the bike back. I asked him to reconsider, as I intended to file a claim with the Illinois State Attorney General and take this dispute public should he continue to perpetuate this fraud.
He told me to bring it on.
This is the start.
If anyone has had similar dealings with FunMartCycle or Tim Taber, please let me know. Crooks like this usually have a history
Ph# 877-389-7540 fax 309-762-2591
funmartcycle@msn.com
:| :| :|

L

LukeRips

I'd definitely hire an attorney and don't change anything on the bike. Take lots of pictures, right down the whole scenario and save it as a document. I guarantee it will save you from typing it or explaining over and over. The pressure form an attorney might get them to return it just to shut you up but you have to be persistant. If you bought it on Eb*y you can slam him there and nobody will buy from his auctions again. Also, file a complaint with Eb*y.

Hope this helps!

BigSwole

Jun 8, 2004
not trying to be an ass but you should have asked for more pics and close ones at that.sorry ya got ripped man.I say take it to him.he should not be selling bad bikes.

kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
I second the motion about ****. If that is where you purchased the bike, you definitely could make it tough for him to sell there again.
You might also register with KTMtalk.com and lamblast the dude there as well.

I will not name the dealer I had problems with, since the issue was resolved; however, if your guy is a KTM dealer you could also phone KTM customer service directly. Even though your bike was used, if it is a KTM, the KTM customer service will place an official call to the dealer to get involved.
Also lodge a complaint with the BBB. No business likes this, and as is probably the case, Tim Taber is just the sales manager. BBB complaints go to the owner.

Tahuya Rat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 11, 2002
Thanks. So far I've got it posted here, on Ktmtalk .com, will post it on Thumpertalk, and any sites connected to Taber or the dealership. (I think he rides enduros locally, at least used to) I posted a flaming comment on **** Feedback, the Illinois State Attorney General has mailed me a complaint form, and I'm going to see if I can file a complaint with any dealer's association they may belong to (could use some help getting pointed in the right direction on this one)and I'll be looking for local m/c clubs and motorcycle associations in the area. I did my best to educate myself on the exact condition of the motorcycle (due diligence) before I bought it and was misled wholesale throughout the process. I've documented every step of this transaction and taken digital picture. I offered to settle for replacing parts, and when they declined, to let them take back possesion of the bike and return my money.
They chose unwisely. :|

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Here is some cut and paste of the actual ad since E-Boy links are bad.

Description
Item Specifics - Motorcycles
2003 KTM : SX : 525SX
KTM 525SX 2003 Demo With electric start !!!!!!!

Year: 2003 Warranty: No
Miles: 100 Engine Type: Medium (500-699 cc)
Condition: Used Title: Clear
Exterior: Other VIN Number: --

Seller funmartcycle assumes full responsibility for the content of this listing and the item offered.

KTM 525SX 2003 Demo With electric start !!!!!!!
Vehicle Description

This is a KTM 525SX with electric start. The bike was a demo and has been put back in our inventory. It is a great chance for someone to get a good bike at a great price. The bike is in good condition and needs nothing to go riding. If you have any questions please e-mail or call toll free 877-389-7540.

Vehicle Condition

Bike is in very good condition.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Here are the pics shown in the ad.

Attachments

• d6_1.jpg
    d6_1.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 193
  • ec_1.jpg
    ec_1.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 185

Tahuya Rat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 11, 2002
Yep, that'd be the pig in question.

No, couldn't go look at it, I'm in the north west, the bike was in Illinois. All I could do was ask questions and hope they wouldn't lie about 'em :bang:

Tahuya Rat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 11, 2002
Thanks okie. I was just going through the paperwork (came in today's mail). The Bill of sale is marked NEW, and it came with a 30 day ktm warranty. I could just see bringing this wreck into a shop and asking them to warranty it for me... :rotfl:

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
As they say; there are two sides to every story.

Before you guys all go ripping on FunMart Cycle and Tim I will tell you that I have been buying bikes from them since 1974 and have never had a problem. They also sell more KTM's then anyone in the area so they can't be having these problems all of the time.

I, of course, don't know the details of this transaction but I can assure you that it is not typical of most bike sales.

Also, if you check his rating on e-bay you will find very few negatives especially considering the number of bikes he sells each year.

Last edited:

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Only used 30 hours! That's 15 Harescrambles...a lot of riding.

From your description of the condition of the bike, 30 hours sounds about right.

funmartcycle

Aug 31, 2004
No Fraud at Fun Mart Cycle

There is no FRAUD at Fun Mart Cycle. On **** I have 6 negative and 546 positive feedbacks. The bike was listed corectly. The bike was ridden one week before I listed it on ****. I know there was nothing wrong with the bike. You will never be happy with a demo bike when you really want a new one. We never send the MSO or any paperwork with the bike. If the bike is lost during shipping we do not want the MSO with the bike. The customer was told this. I was not told by the service department the fork seals were leaking. However I did offer to send fork seals and a gasket to the customer and credit him for labor. Shocks do not squeak when they are out of fluid. Frame guards on KTM's are plastic. They will show wear after only a couple of rides. The rear fender was not tweaked. It has a small discolered spot where it was pushed down. The plastic does have normal scratches in it from riding. It is a demo. Overall the plastic is in good condition. There are scratches on the fuel tank from riding the bike. The front rim only has one rim lock in it because it comes from KTM with only one rim lock in it. One of the rim locks on the rear tire was removed for easy tire changing. The generator is scratched from riding. It is not BEAT UP. The aluminum chain guide was removed. I remove them on all of my personal bikes as well. If it is bent it will wear out the chain and sprockets. The hard plastic will just bend back if it is hit with something. I put a brand new Yuasa battery in the bike the day it was being shipped. I know the battery was good. The bike has a electric start put on that is offered from KTM. The bike does not have a charging system. That is how the kit is offered from KTM. If you call a tech at KTM they will tell you an the SX model the battery has to be charged when done riding. It is all KTM has to offer on the SX model. The clutch cover does have wear on it and yes the footpegs show wear as well. Lets remember this is a demo bike and it will show some wear. And yes I am sure the brake pedal shows some wear as the bike has been ridden. Also the bike did have oil filteres in it when it left here. To sum it up: the bike was sold as a demo and it has been ridden. It was sold for 3650.00 and it is worth at least 3650.00. I offered to help with some parts , but not everything as I do not believe the ad was misleading. I did offer to take the bike back and exchange it for a new one. However a new one is not 3650.00 and I did not recieve a reply back on this offer. It is clear this person wants a brand new bike at a used price. We have been here since 1969 and are one of the top KTM dealers in the country. We did not get this way from cheating people. You will have a hard time finding people that have had negative dealings with Fun Mart Cycle. I realize you can not make everyone happy but if you read my **** feedback you will find over 98% of our customers are very happy. And thats just ****.

Tim Taber
Fun Mart Cycle
1320 36th avenue
Moline Illinois 61265
877-389-7540
309-762-9624

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Now things get interesting. :)

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Tim - I won't point out the problems with your post, as I'm sure everyone can see them.

Why don't you just take the bike back?

ironworker

America since 1908
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2004
Studboy said:
Now things get interesting. :)

Yep!,
Quote Fun MartCycle: "The aluminum chain guide was removed. I remove them on all of my personal bikes as well. If it is bent it will wear out the chain and sprockets."

Obviously it was bent thats why it was removed...
As for Tahuya Rat complaining about buying a used motorcycle and wanting a new motorcycle I would say thats a lame excuse since he bought a used one. If the man wanted a new one he would bought one.

Hey FunMart, Why dont you take the motorcycle back and let him pay for shipping? that would be fair unless you think the bike isnt worth what he paid for it?

I just went back a read the original post again and it seems that some of the problems stated with the bike have not even been addressed by Tim.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
ironworker said:
"The aluminum chain guide was removed. I remove them on all of my personal bikes as well. If it is bent it will wear out the chain and sprockets."

Obviously it was bent thats why it was removed...
I'm not jumping on either side here, but even Larry Roesseler takes off his aluminum chainguard.

Check the bottom of the page: http://www.lrsmotozone.com/techtips1.htm

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
TR... I think you should call Funmart and see if you can resolve this without the use of DRN.

We love a great discussion and battle here but I think it would be more professional to try and deal directly with them since they have shown on DRN a willingness to communicate.

Good luck.

Ivan

munch

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2002
You know what really sucks here is that one guys perception is trashing a reputable dealer, after reading the response, I think someone should have done some more homework before buying a bike unseen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom