Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Rites Of Spring / MTR Reunion Ride: May 1-2, 2004

Well alrighty then! Something to look forward to as the temps drop into the single digits here. Mark your calendars!

General Info
• Hosted by the Capitol Chapter, located @ Whiskey Creek Resort, near the town of Baldwin, MI.
• Must be a CCC member (available at sign up).
• Must have Michigan 2004 ORV sticker (also available at sign up).
• Must meet spark and sound requirements (94db).
• Safety training and certification classes available for new riders (kids and adults).
• The resort includes a restaurant, ice cream parlor, indoor pool, jacuzzi, and sauna.
• Limited RV hookups available (in a busy, crowed, dusty area).

-> CCC Event Page

-> Whiskey Creek Web Site

-> Bird's Eye View Map

-> MTR Spot (???)

-> Pics from 2003 ROS

Directions
• From I-75, take US-10 west towards Ludington. In the small town of Custer, turn left (south) onto Custer Road. Go approximately 9 miles south on Custer Road to Sippy Road, then turn left (east) onto Sippy. Go 2-1/2 miles east on Sippy Road (dirt road) to Whiskey Creek Resort. The resort will be on your left (north side).

• From Grand Rapids, take M-37 north to US-10, go west and follow previous directions.

The Committed
1. Smit-Dog Clan (4)
2. V-Man and Sally - Chance too! (2)
3. Fred T, Fender, Erin (3)
4. MotoWEISSEN Clan (4)
5. miScott (2)
6. MarlinBerg Clan (5)
7. 1350CFM Clan (4)
8. Farmer Tom (0 - Hangin' in the Hood)
Total -> 24

So RickShaw.... hear tell that Magoo is gonna make the trip over the bridge for this weekend... Whatcha gonna do? You're not going to let a Yooper show you up now are you? :aj:

Last edited:

miScott

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Oct 19, 2003
Count me in +1. I should have my new ride by then. :)

Scott

Last edited:

Tom Dixon

Farmer Tom = Face Planter
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
What are the requirements?? I know that you have to join the CCC (no biggie), but is there anything else? Possibly Farmer Tom may join in on the fun! I will have to check my racing calendar!

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Way to go Smitty!

Tom, the requirements are like Smit Dog said- ORV sticker, 94 dB, spark arrestor, CCC member. Your KTM will pass.

The CCC gets special permission to allow non-street legal bikes to ride on the road to each trail section, so you don't have to worry about having a road legal bike.

Last edited:

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
Don't forget the awesome Dual Sport they have!
Woodsy - you should try the 160 miler we have for 2004! Yeah, I'm sure it'd be too short and easy for you..

Here's another "campground" map from the terraserver. This may help your orientation - I always think the road/entrance is to the East when it's to the South. Talk about weird when the sun comes up in the North!!
Here's the pict <http://homepage.mac.com/jvalley/.Public/Whiskey-Creek.jpg>

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
That's an awesome shot 2TrakR! Terraserver is very cool, but a pain to find remote places sometimes.

BTW, what are the latitude and longitude coordinates of Whiskey Creek Resort?

EDIT: Nevermind, found it... 43.84089 LAT, -86.14978 LON.

So sound check is way over by the lodge this year? I remember last year it was over by the safety training.

Last edited:

Tom Dixon

Farmer Tom = Face Planter
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
Oops, I over looked that!

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
Originally posted by Smit-Dog
So sound check is way over by the lodge this year? I remember last year it was over by the safety training.

Heh, could change... Usually that's not decided until Thursday night. So, by the lodge or by safety training, as you stated, are two places to look. I forgot they did sound over by the training area last year, but now that you mention it, it makes more sense.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
FYI, the new camping areas are where 2TRAKR's labels say "Sat/Sun". If you ever go there to ride outside of the ROS weekend, they're highly recommended spots (power and water too).

I see the MTR spot is already picked! Cool!

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Which begs the question....

Will Zach still be on an XR???

:think:

Question @ hand, what will smith dog be on? :confused:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by rickshaw
...you could always ride my Reflex!
Is that was Mrs. Shaw calls it? Ah.... no thanks... leave your, ah "Reflex" and blue pills at home. Just bring your bikes...

:confused:

rickshaw

Sponsoring Member
Sep 24, 2000
no Smitty...just a sincere offer for a ride within your capabilities and in the 200cc limitations you're used to :eek:

rickshaw

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
FYI.... it's 216cc !!! :aj:

Seriously, I'd love to try a trials bike. Bring it up, and I'll supply the open-face helmet and stump. :scream:

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Well alrighty then! Something to look forward to as the temps drop into the single digits here. Mark your calendars!

• Must be a CCC member (available at sign up).
• Must have Michigan 2004 ORV sticker (also available at sign up).&nbsp;

What is the cost of the CCC membership and the Meechigan ORV sticker??

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
Originally posted by KelvinKDX

What is the cost of the CCC membership and the Meechigan ORV sticker??

$25 and $16.25 respectively.

Sign up fee at events are $10/day, $18/weekend, $5/day family members, $8/weekend family members or $30 for family weekend.
Huh?
Have sticker and CCC member, then:
You show for 1 day = $10
You ride both days = $18
You and your son ride one day = $13
You/son both days = $26
You/son/daughter one day = $18
You/son/daughter both days = $30
You/son/daughter/triplets/wife/adopted Nigerian (the one with the rich uncle who wants you to hold his money if you'd just send him your bank account #) = $30

CCC membership gets you a year of the Great Lakes Trail Rider - puts DirtRider to shame.
But wait, there's more! You also get the CCC mapbook. I know plenty of people who sign up just for this fabulous book. Contains maps of all MI ORV trails as well as the entire MCCCT.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
2TrakR....

Please double-check the math, or the quoted rates - I'm confused! :think:

You/son both days = $10 (you) + $5 (son) = $15 for one day. Right?

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
Originally posted by 2TrakR

You and your son ride one day = $13

Heh - should be $15. Thanks Smit-Dog. Kept trying to make one day adult $8 instead of $10. If you'd have done the reverse dyslexic math in your head (like I) it would have made sense...

Been trying to get the rates raised so the clubs can actually afford to put them on. DNR wants $.50 per head for camping in the woods now, besides all the permits and other fees.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
With 900+ riders last year, I don't think that a slight rise in cost is going to deter too many. With all the volunteer work and permit/insurance coordination involved, a club should be able to make some money at an event of this size.

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
Capitol makes money of RoS (I too, would hope so with that level of turnout) and then loses or breaks even on the rest of the year's rides. They usually do three total:
Rites of Spring
Kids Ride
Vintage Ride

Figure they have a free hot dog cookout at the Kids run with ice cream and tons of door prizes, that "eats" into the cost of things. For a good cause and definitely worth it though.
If permits aren't too bad, they can get close to breaking even at Vintage.

That's just one example of a more active club.

I don't think any of the CCC chapters are out to make $ for themselves, they just want to have a good time and let people ride. Of course it takes money to put events on...

We almost break even with the DS rides - thank God for the volunteer work so many put in. Our trail maintenance money is where our (GLDS) budget comes from.

Not whining though - this just helps me prep to "talk" people into the higher rates. Heck, I'm only thinking up the ante by $2.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom