MJ27

~SPONSOR~
Feb 28, 2002
I found this on motonews.com...

Riverside MX Park?

It started as a passing thought and then became a mission; to bring a new motocross park to Riverside County. Riverside Motocross Park (RMP) would be a new track 15 minutes from Corona located on a piece of land many riders already know; 60 Fwy @ Rubidoux. It was to be an 83-acre facility with 4 to 6 tracks ranging from a peewee to a vet track, from a natural hilly terrain track to a big supercross track. The land is available, all the plans were in place, but our District 2 Supervisor, John Tavaglione, is “adamantly opposed”, according to his office. With the massive amount of power he has been given, he halted an 8-month project in its tracks without giving the proposal any apparent consideration.

The location selected for RMP already attracts a lot of riders who are desperate to find somewhere close to ride. The county was already aware of the illegal riding going on here. They know that a massive amount of dust is created by the riding here (dust is a form of pollution because it increases the amount of particulates in the air). They are also aware that there is rampant dumping and general littering at this location. As well, riders have free range to ride anywhere they want. Noise isn’t an issue both because the property is surrounded by hillsides that buffer the noise and the county isn’t aware of any noise complaints coming from this area. The proposal made to Mr. Tavaglione 1) eliminated illegal riding on this property, 2) drastically limited the available riding area since riders would be limited to riding on tracks, 3) virtually eliminated the air quality issue by controlling the dust with a watering schedule, 4) would eliminate illegal dumping and would beautify the area, 5) would give a much needed outlet to the riders in the local area decreasing illegal riding in the surrounding areas, 6) would bring a significant amount of revenue to the struggling local economy and would create jobs. These are but a few of the benefits. However, Mr. Tavaglione’s position is that he is adamantly opposed due to concerns about air quality and noise. (Keep in mind that there is already a significant amount of riding occurring at this location.) As well his office responded by saying that “He has neither the time nor the inclination to deal with this kind of stuff in the coming year.”

RMP is therefore asking for you to get involved. Please give support to this project and voice your opinion by e-mailing John Field, Senior Legislative Assistant to John Tavaglione at Jfield@CO.Riverside.CA.US and let him know that you support this project. His phone number is (909) 955-9159. Please copy RMP when sending this correspondence. Remember, Mr. Tavaglione is an elected official and he is supposed to work for you! As well, you may contact RMP at RiversideMXPark@aol.com or call Eric Elrod at (909) 273-0834 to find out if there are other ways you can support this project. RMP thanks you in advance!

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Thanks for posting this MJ27.

I will send an e-mail but, I don't really see this happening. We have tried to deal with the County and Mr. Tavaglione in particular to open areas up to riding. The problem here is Mr. Tavaglione comes from a family of developers. He sees that land as income for the County. By building a kajillion little houses there, the County would recieve much more revenue in taxes than a cycle park would provide.

On the other hand, Riverside County is becoming very crowded. The freeways cannot support the trafic that we already have. The air is getting worse. Talk about dust. You should see all of the dust in the air from all of the land grading going on for new homes. Much more dust than a cycle park would produce.

There have been areas where we used to ride that have been closed because of some endangered plant or animal or bug. So, they kick us out and fence the area off to protect the critter. But, a couple years later you see bulldozers in there carving down the hills for new homes. What happened to the endangered critters???

It's all about money and a cycle park doesn't produce enough money compared to the tax base from new homes and businesses.

These are the points that have to be addressed when sending your response. Are they trying to turn Riverside County into another LA County? What are the young people to do for recreation if there are no places to ride. Why, when Riverside County has the largest amount of registered off road vehicles as most any other County, why do we have the worst excuse for a cycle park? What are they doing with all of our green sticker money?

I will do what I can, but I will be very supprised if this happens. :(

Ol'89r

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Thanks Bood. :thumb:

Now that you mention it, the County Planners are a good place to send your e-mails and letters. They represent the people of the County a lot better than the Supervisiors. Many of them are for the rural lifestyle and against runaway growth.

Unfortunatuly, they can only make recommendations to the Supervisors and the ultimate decision is up to the Supervisiors. But, it can't hurt to contact them.

BTW, how's that elbow doing??

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
The old arms healing well although its a slow process. I was hoping to be back on the beast by the beginning of March but its looking like it may be a little longer according to doc. Guess us older guys are slow healers.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by Boodac
Guess us older guys are slow healers.

Jeeze, it must suck to be one of you older guys. ;) :scream: :laugh: :) :)

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Originally posted by Ol'89r

Jeeze, it must suck to be one of you older guys. ;) :scream: :laugh: :) :)

Did somebody forget to take his medicine again? Being faster doesn't make you younger!

(Damn; I wanted to 'moon' you, but you already used to many emoticons and it wouldn't let me, so let me just say, "moon-flame-debil!"

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
Old but not crusty yet. Besides we will see who makes the old folks home first ;)
Luckily even KTM's older than this middle aged man. :yeehaw:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by Boodac
Besides we will see who makes the old folks home first ;)

:laugh: Only cause I got the holeshot. :laugh:

Hey ktmboy, :moon: this butt's for you. :moon:

Last edited:
Top Bottom