rmrider04

Sep 22, 2005
Alright I just bought a 2000 rm 125 and it has racing fuel in it.
I am pretty sure the guy before me raced it with racing fuel. I am wondering if i should just run it with racing fuel or would it be ok to use just high octane gas from like wherever. Will it run ok if it is use to the racing fuel. I will not be racing just going to some offroad parks and stuff. Anything will help thanks

unclefista240

Apr 23, 2007
ive had a lot of two strokes in the past,and just recently purchased 1 95 rm 250 that was never raced but always had premium unleaded & castor maxim 927 2 stroke oil in it. i used the same for two tank fulls and checked the plug. then i used two tank fulls of premium gas but with castrol tt2 oil and it still runs great ,no plug fouling , no running hot so im under the assumption as long as its not too cheap its ok. i do always run a full synthetic two stroke oil.

Jun 5, 2006
I wouldn't be so sure. If the guy was using racing fuel, then you could assume that the top end was rebuilt for more compression. Therefore, the engine was BUILT for the racing fuel. Without it, the performance will suffer and the engine will quickly develop problems.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Xtremesports445 said:
I wouldn't be so sure. If the guy was using racing fuel, then you could assume that the top end was rebuilt for more compression. Therefore, the engine was BUILT for the racing fuel. Without it, the performance will suffer and the engine will quickly develop problems.

To further expand, can you get in touch with the person you purchased the bike from? If the head was modified for more compression and race fuel you will start getting detonation on pump gas and do some significant damage to the engine. Also if the bike has been jetted for the race fuel you will have to watch your jetting isn't too lean on pump fuel as well. If he was just a weekend warrior who runs pump fuel for practice and dumped race fuel in thinking it gave him an edge on raceday then you should be fine.

rmrider04

Sep 22, 2005
I went riding sat and sun with just high octrane gas. It seemed to be fine ran the same way as it did with the racing fuel. I got it from a riding shop and they coudnt really tell me much about it. The shop actualy might have had it laying around and put it in im not sure but ill just keep an eye on the bike. Thanks for all your help

95xr250

Apr 6, 2007
klotz smells the best and your 2 stroke isint goina have over 11:1 compression so 93 octane from the pump will be fine that is wat i use

Top Bottom