mopower440

Jan 27, 2006
I bought a 1998rm 125, i looked at the suzuki parts fich and they list an NGK spark plug with some weird part# thats like $25.00!! Ok, the plug that came in the bike is an NGK BR9EG, and thats what ive been using with no problems, as i said, it runs fine with this plug with no problems so far, BUT, the thing that bothers me is that the electrode in this plug is so small im afraid that it might break off and ruin the engine, i mean, the electrode is about as big around as a needle!
Ok, my freinds blaster has a B8ES in it and it has the normal size bigger electrode in it, im wondering if i can use that plug in my rm with no trouble? I know the B8ES is a hotter plug, thats why im asking if it will hurt the rm..(It may be a BR8ES rather than just B8ES)

mmz77

Oct 15, 2006
You will be fine using a ES in your rm. The only difference is the electrode and the EG is set up for "racing" and can run more money. Personally, there is no difference between the two and if you want to use an ES... Go Ahead!!!

Oh yeah, the hotness shouldn't make any difference getting hotter one level. And I believe that the manufacture requests all should be an "8" range, at least most I know of do...

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
We've been running the B8ES for years..........no problems.

rpm12505

~SPONSOR~
Sep 25, 2005
We used the cheaper ones for years, till I watched 3 motors blow at various race tracks. Following up on them turns out the ground strap broke in all 3 cases. We use the $25 one now. Besides they last forever. I buy one a year but I don't think I need too. The gamble is yours

mopower440

Jan 27, 2006
as small as the center electrode is in the 'EG', it scares me into thinking it will break off easy and kill my engine, the 'ES' plug has the fatter center electrode and looks more solid..

rpm12505

~SPONSOR~
Sep 25, 2005
The most expensive plug has a small electrode also. Thats not the problem, it's the big ugly ground loop that breaking at the weld.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
rpm12505 said:
We use the $25 one now. Besides they last forever. I buy one a year but I don't think I need too.

I also hate to spend $25 for a plug, but it's only $25 per year - or at worst, twice a year.

If you're working on jetting, why not buy a couple cheap ones to jet with and then run the expensive one when you get the jetting right.

84cr125

Apr 8, 2007
robwbright said:
I also hate to spend $25 for a plug, but it's only $25 per year - or at worst, twice a year.

If you're working on jetting, why not buy a couple cheap ones to jet with and then run the expensive one when you get the jetting right.

Ya the 9eg foul out alot easier than the 8es. When you get your jetting right use the 9eg. Also i found that the 9eg dont like to idle and for me tend to foul out.

mopower440

Jan 27, 2006
you guys that are saying that the ground strap will break off on the 'ES' plugs, are you saying the ground strap WONT break off on the 'EG' plugs like that?

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
mopower440 said:
you guys that are saying that the ground strap will break off on the 'ES' plugs, are you saying the ground strap WONT break off on the 'EG' plugs like that?

No they are saying it's a risk with any plug other than the one specified by Suzuki.

Try reading these threads:

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=93254&page=1&pp=10&highlight=plug+vibration

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=76305&highlight=plug+vibration Pay particular attention to Post #5 in this thread.

And this is another case where a simple use of the search function would have turned up loads of information.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
mopower440 said:

I believe it is a lot more complicated than that. Or perhaps a lot more simple, depending on how you look at it.

The technology of attaching the center ground strap on a sparkplug has been around and used for many, many years. For 99.99999% of all engines the conventional method works fine.

MX bikes use high performance engines. When a fraction of a horsepower improvement can make a big difference in the sales department the engineers will get creative and push the limits of things.

It sounds to me like Suzuki created an engine that for some reason puts a stress on the sparkplug. I am sure that it is a very complex situation that involves resonance and combustion chamber shape and focusing and all sorts of things that were probably beyond the capability to simulate. I would bet that the Suzuki engineers didn't realize they had a problem until they were already committed to production and using a very expensive sparkplug was the best solution.

I think that it speaks volumes that NGK would publicly admit that it is even possible that one of their sparkplugs could fail like that. I am sure that they get a bad rap from all this. I would expect that the person who puts a less expensive spark plug in his Suzuki, has it fail and destroy the engine will blame the spark plug manufacturer instead of Suzuki (or himself).

The bottom line is that if the manufacturer recommends a certain plug you should use that plug. If you use a different plug then you should make sure you understand why you are using a different one and accept any consequences that it might have.

Rod

Top Bottom