Rm 125.. What to do with it to help me??

carajean

May 27, 2006
Ok I recently purchased a RM125 that I need to set up for me. I came off a TTR 125L only been riding bikes for goin on a year.

1) I need to be able to lug this bike just a tad more till my reaction time catches up to the bike.

2) I have been fouling plugs and spooge is a major issue. I have spooge coming from the collar and out the silencer. I am now running a hotter plug br8es and 50:1 ratio and it still spooges. My next step would be to crack the carb open and see what I have in there. and changing some stuff.

3) I was told to not get a flywheel weight and just go up a tooth size in the front. by doing this it will calm the hit of the bike down which is what I want... but will I be able to lug it more??

Im mostly woods riding or open play. Im not on the pipe every second well not yet anyways. So I need to set this bike up to foul less plugs and lug a bit more.

Any advice would help me out a lot. :)

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
carajean said:
2) I have been fouling plugs and spooge is a major issue. I have spooge coming from the collar and out the silencer. I am now running a hotter plug br8es and 50:1 ratio and it still spooges. My next step would be to crack the carb open and see what I have in there. and changing some stuff.

That should have been the first step.

carajean

May 27, 2006
Yeah I know but others told me not too just yet. They said to mess with the ratio and if that didnt help then go into the carb.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
A 125 is a bike that needs to be ridden aggressively........lugging is not going to work out, in time you'll get use to that.
Even though I rode a 125 for years in the woods, I never liked a flywheel weight on one........too hard to get into the power-range.
If the carb is still jetted stock, you'll have to do some work, they're jetted hideously rich from the factory. State what year RM you have, your altitude, and aprox current temperature. Perhaps someone here can get you in the ballpark.
If I were you, I'd go back to 32:1.......little hard working 125s need oil. By going 50:1 you actually made the "burnable mixture" richer (more spooging)

SC_Rider_427

Feb 20, 2007
I dont know how much lugging you will be able to do on a RM125, they are made to be ridden hard. There are things you can do to tame the bike to make it easier to ride, but it will always need to be ridden pretty hard.

84cr125

Apr 8, 2007
sixds said:
my bike has no spooge. not warming up, not lugging it around, never have i seen black stuff drooling out of my silencer.

what mixture? are you running lean? HAve you checked the spark plug?
A properly jetted 2t will eventually have some spooge because the silencer packing will eventually become saturated with oil.

carajean

May 27, 2006
Um i dont know my elevation but I live in Michigan. Yeah I dont know if its stock I bought it used. Its a 2001 RM125. Im trying to ride it hard but with being a newb I come upon situations where I need to slow way down and think about how to go about handling the problem. Im sure next year I wont have this problem but right now I do and I gotta do something about it.

carajean

May 27, 2006
Oh yeah the temp here right now ranges from 65-90 as of right now. The weather is lookin a bit better so the temps are between 70-87 consistently. Yeah Im gonna need a flywheel weight for the next month or so then I will **** it after I get my use out of it. But yeah this week is play around with the bike week. This week I get a spark arrestor and FWW and bark busters.

04MONSTER

May 28, 2007
Put the correct plug back in, 32:1, lower the front sprocket one tooth,
and ride the piss out of it. Two strokes need to be rode hard, really hard.
They do not idle or will load up and foul plugs. When you get use to that
setting, then try to rejet your carb go back up one tooth and get more
power out of it that way. Bottom line, ride it like you stole it !

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Even though a 125 is supposed to be ridden hard it does not have to be ridden hard to keep from spooging and fouling plugs, all that it needs is the correct jetting for how you are riding the bike. Read the jetting stickies and even do a search by jetting and you'll find all the information you'll need. Pick a ratio and stick with it and jet the bike properly for that ratio, 32:1 is a good ratio for a 125 with a decent oil like Yamalube 2-R.

My guess is you'll have to lean out all three jetting circuits on that bike to get it to stop fouling plugs and spooging.

04MONSTER

May 28, 2007
Chili, I agree with you, but a new bike and a new rider, why crack open a carb if you don't have to ? Changing the sprocket takes minutes, and will basicly lean out the motor in a sense to where you dont have to re-jet due to higher rpm's helping to keep the cylinder more clear. I f he cracks open the carb and doesn't know what he doing, it could make his problem alot worse. I still say, 32:1, lower by one tooth, and learn how to ride the bike hard.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
04MONSTER said:
Changing the sprocket takes minutes, and will basicly lean out the motor in a sense to where you dont have to re-jet due to higher rpm's helping to keep the cylinder more clear.

I'm not making the connection here, by dropping a tooth on the front (something I wouldn't do since the RM already comes with a 12 front) you are effectively giving the bike more torque. With more torque means he's going to be even more off the throttle because the bike will pull harder earlier.

Opening the carb is the matter of undoing 6 screws, if he's not capable of doing that then the bike will need to go to the shop either way so it's rideable for him. Too many folks assume spooge is a fact of life on a 2 stroke when all it takes is a bit of your time and a few easy changes to tune the bike properly.

carajean

May 27, 2006
Yeah I will crack the carb i did it on my ttr just didnt feel like doin it yet kinda been lazy. Ok so go back to 32:1 and back to the original plug??? But a lot of people say 40:1 is fine and the hotter plug is fine since im not racing and only doing woods riding.

carajean

May 27, 2006
by the way im running amsoil dominator oil. I was running the klotz benol but i find that the amsoil is the same amount as the klotz but i get more.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
I have no experience with amsoil, I think that's the one all sorts of folks are running 50:1. Knowing how much 2 strokes like oil we've always run 32:1 with Yamalube 2-R in our RM's. Cranks always looked good on rebuild. You can run any ratio you like as long as the bike is jetted appropriately for it although 50:1 always made me nervous of frying the crank on a 125.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Chili said:
Even though a 125 is supposed to be ridden hard it does not have to be ridden hard to keep from spooging and fouling plugs, all that it needs is the correct jetting for how you are riding the bike. Read the jetting stickies and even do a search by jetting and you'll find all the information you'll need. Pick a ratio and stick with it and jet the bike properly for that ratio, 32:1 is a good ratio for a 125 with a decent oil like Yamalube 2-R.

My guess is you'll have to lean out all three jetting circuits on that bike to get it to stop fouling plugs and spooging.

True, true.

carajean

May 27, 2006
Yeah im workin on the jetting but it would be nice if I could find someone with about the same bike that has there jetting dialed in it would help me to get started at least. now im just goin into it kinda blind and only on the jettin how to's i find.

CR500pilot

Feb 29, 2000
carajean you may have a little trial and error here, but you'll get it. I'd try the clip on the needle first, as this adjusts from about 1/4 to 3/4 throttle setting and you will notice the difference. A 125 is meant to be cranked, but it can be jetted to allow for this type of riding. And regardless of the front sprocket, you need to get it jetted right first. There are a bunch of articles in here about jetting. Read a few.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
You really need a manual,the bible of your bike.It will tell you a baseline for your altitude and temperature.2 engines jetted exactly the same will run different when it comes down to exact jetting.If your engine will not run with in a couple sizes from stock,you probably have mechanical issues.Plenty of work arounds for example automatically slapping a hotter,different plug in it,bigger sprocket or monkeying around with ratios,the lazy,scared and cheap way out.I do not know what sounds harder to do,set up an old 125 racebike for trails or a 450 modded mx bike,good luck!

Top Bottom