Squid_uk

Oct 22, 2005
Just bought a 2002 RM 125 and when you start the engine in neutral and go to engage into 1st the bike starts to creep forwards however if the revs are higher (between 2.5 and 3) you cant really notice it also when downshifting from lets say 5th to 2nd even with the clutch lever fully depressed you can hear and feel the engine downshifting almost as if i wasn't holding in the lever, i have tried adjusting the clutch on the lever itself which helped a bit but hasn't stopped it,

could it be that i may need a new clutch or new plates etc?

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
It may just be that the clutch is worn out or it may be as easy as the oil weight being too heavy. Try and change it to a lighter weight, maybe 10-30, and see if that helps. When the bike is running for a bit and is nice and hot, does it still do it? If not, then your oil is too heavy. If it still does it then it may be your clutch plates.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
My 02 RM 125 does a similar thing. If its cold it will actually quit when going from neutral to 1st if you don't give it any gas. The problem lessens as the bike warms up. It's been like that since I got it 6 months ago but slightly worse now as the weather has been in the 40s and 50s. (By the way, my bike has a Hinson Clutch)

Myabe I'm taking the wrong approach, but my view is that if the clutch is working (i.e. I can slip it for starts and exiting corners), then I'm not that concerned about the problem you're describing.

By the way, in a previous thread, it appears that a lot of guys here are not using the clutch to shift after the start. My bike shifts smoothly without the clutch from 2-3 and on up, but using the clutch is like a timing mechanism for me and I can't seem to break myself of using it. I know there must be 5 shifts a lap where I don't use it though . . .

Rob

Squid_uk

Oct 22, 2005
a454elk said:
It may just be that the clutch is worn out or it may be as easy as the oil weight being too heavy. Try and change it to a lighter weight, maybe 10-30, and see if that helps. When the bike is running for a bit and is nice and hot, does it still do it? If not, then your oil is too heavy. If it still does it then it may be your clutch plates.

The problem does continue when the bike has warmed up sometimes i can notice it more, but that might be me concentrating on the problem.

robwbright said:
Myabe I'm taking the wrong approach, but my view is that if the clutch is working (i.e. I can slip it for starts and exiting corners), then I'm not that concerned about the problem you're describing.

I see what your saying here rob but im just worried that it could be damaging the gear box

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Ditto

Squid_uk

Oct 22, 2005
that the problem i dont really have a local dealer where i live eveything has to be bought overseas from the UK, just really need to know the exact part(s) i am after

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
It's pretty hard to tell you exactly what you are after without taking the clutch apart. It could be simply the basket, or you may need the entire clutch setup (basket, hub, pressure plate, plates, springs) Perhaps oe of the UK members can come along with some pricing and shop help.

Top Bottom