rm250curse

Jan 9, 2006
Rm 250 Curse HELP PLEASE

Hi I live in canada and i have a 81 rm 250 that is a curse I have changed the stator and cdi because there was no spark and both were toast from previous owners creative wiring then i got a nice blue spark set stator timing to stock mark then when i was checking for spark it would come and go so i bought a new cdi coil and that fixed that then time came to start the bike kick kick kick kick nothing look down and goo is coming from base gasket and gas coming out the over flow on the carb so i go and buy a new head gasket and base gasket replace both cleaned the gasket mating surfaces very well installed new base and head gasket top end was in very good shape now it starts floods dies and boom back fire then i check the plug after i thought i had been shot and its soaked so i take carb check needle seat and floats adjust acordingly then put it back on and same thing could it be the reed valve its the 3rd time that i have had adjusted the carb so i know its fine its not the floats any help would be great thanks :yikes:

Last edited:

zhillsrm250

Jan 12, 2006
The parts you are replacing is going to be more than the bike is worth, you could upgrade to a newer bike for less money and trouble not to mention better parts availability

Britt Boyette

Aug 16, 2004
Something sounds funny about the carb. It's like the floats are sinking or the float valve is leaking and making the engine flood. I'd rebuild or replace that 25 year old carb first before doing anything else. Although, double checking the timing might be worth a few minutes of your time.

blackjack

Aug 11, 2002
Definitely sounds like the float valve is leaking, that would cause the conditions you describe. The end of the float must be perfectly tapered, not grooved or it will leak.

Top Bottom