jjakatw

Sep 24, 2006
:whoa: I would like to try to replace the fork seals on my sons 2001 Suzuki RM 250. I just got the bike a few weeks ago and notice that it is leaking pretty bad on the right side. The shop wants a fortune to do the job, and I am all about trying things myself and saving the money. Does any one have some step by step instructions on how to do this? Also I do not have a manual for this bike, so does anyone know how much fork oil I will need to replace in each fork? Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

joshp

May 2, 2005
jjakatw said:
:whoa: I would like to try to replace the fork seals on my sons 2001 Suzuki RM 250. I just got the bike a few weeks ago and notice that it is leaking pretty bad on the right side. The shop wants a fortune to do the job, and I am all about trying things myself and saving the money. Does any one have some step by step instructions on how to do this? Also I do not have a manual for this bike, so does anyone know how much fork oil I will need to replace in each fork? Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

What do you consider a fortune? Is it $100?

DPR250R

Oct 25, 2004
Get Pro-X seals only kit...

Don't cheap out on seals (K&S) cause they will leak before you put them back on the bike.

Suspension fluid...

Do the work yourself... it will still cost you about $40... give or take...

Thats not including any tools you need to buy...

The forks on that bike are not too bad to do...

Oct 15, 2006
I have serviced 1996-1999 YZ 250 and 2003 RM 250 forks quite a bit, this model has a similar Kayaba 46mm fork to the 2001 RM 250 ( I think there was changes made to the fork for 03, but the seal basics should be the same ). I would consider replacing the dust seals as well as the fork seals. I have over looked worn dust seals on these forks and ended up damaging the oil seals in a short time. Also inspect the fork bushes, the bike is a few years old now and these parts can be worn. If you are planning to save money maintaining your bike yourself, buy a service manual, that will have step by step guide to rebuilding the forks. Just the fork seales and dust seals should set you back 50USD including oil and all seals. Some after market seals are more expensive than KYB original parts, not sure which would be better than which, but I go for the KYB items first ( after market only in emergency for me!! ).

loudandproud

Jul 29, 2006
clean the puppies first

mine just had alittle dirt up in there and that was enough for a pull of oil on the garage floor.

Take the dust seals and pull them down. Them get a tooth brush and clean the crap out everything. Then after it is ALL CLEAN take a piece of old film (your wedding usually works well) and take it and slip it between the tube and the seal. Rub it up and down and go around the seal. DO NOT force it and damage the seal. Run it around and the oil will run alittle bit and lube everything up and then if that was the case (always has been with mine) it will work and not leak.

Take a whack at it, if it doesnt work than o well it cant hurt.

Zenith

Jan 11, 2001
Here's a guide to doing very similar forks to your's with photos - http://www.mxboards.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20 . I believe the stock oil level for the 2001 RM250 was 100mm.

I'd still recommend getting a manual for the bike though, I have no torque specs in that guide but it is very important to get the fork parts torqued correctly, they're quite delicate and quite expensive! There may also be some differences between my forks and yours.

KaBooM

Jan 12, 2004
You know the cool alternative would be Synergy Seals for a couple reasons.
1. Modern design
2. Kit comes with install tool, instructions, contact cards, stickers.
3. Customer support for fork seal installation questions.
4. You can pull the seals out and reuse them again.
5. you can pull the down without pulling apart the fork tubes. This is awsome for cleaning the seals and very easy to do

Rob

jcarautos1

Dec 3, 2007
If you take the forks apart dont wayste your money by just replacing seals. Been there done that and had to do it again the next year. Get the seal and bushing kit. It costs more @ $75.00 but is worth not having to do it again.

MSB22

Feb 19, 2008
i just did my fork seals...after watching a good video on You-tube on how to do it mine are the Cartridge Style..it was Breeze swapping them out...do it yourself :D...

Top Bottom