miruffneck

Jun 13, 2010
Is it good practice to change piston and rings before the cylinder needs to be bored? Is the proper to prevent having to bore the cylinder? This might be some silly newbie questions but thats what I am pretty green still
Thanks in advance

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
do you mean bored or honed?

miruffneck

Jun 13, 2010
i meant bored. but would you have to hone if your putting new ring and piston? I just wanna do some good preventative type stuff to save me in the long run. Trying to plan all the stuff I wanna do over the winter.
Thanks

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
If your bike is later than 1980, factory cylinder is nikasil coated and most people don't use overbores any more. And yes, it is a good practice to monitor piston/ring wear and replace before you damage a cylinder. But sometimes cylinders can get out of round or plating can wear to where you need to do some repair and replating. As far as honing, some people give cylinder light hone for a little crosshatching, others use scotchbrite pads and others don't do a darn thing but drop in a new slug and rings.

Here is a current thread on honing: http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=179498

Top Bottom