RM 250 or CR 250

How good are the 00 rm 250's on the trails and how reliable are they. Some kid i know offered me his 00 or 01 rm 250 that he just bought brand new from the dealership 2 months ago for 3800. Or i could wait until next year and get an 02 CR 250 which is the bike i was origninally going to get until this popped up. Which one would you guys take if you were me. That 02 cr is really nice but so is saving $2000.

When i said for 3800 that isn't the price he paid for it new that is the price that he is offering it to me for. Just wanted to clear that up.

In my experience I haven't had very good luck with Zuk's reliability. If you want a bike that is reliable, and think everyone on this site will agree with me, go with the Honda. :cool:

Casper250

Motosapien
I haven't riden a CR or an RM, but i can tell you this, if that RM is $2000 less i would go for it. Even if there is some reliabiliy issue, wich i doubt there really is, just think of what you can do with all that money you save. You get get a new helmet, revalve the suspension, get the motor ported, buy a nice set of bars and still have money left over.

In the end, the RM will be faster, and the suspension will be tailored to you. I have a 2000 KX250 and people say that they arent reliable either, but i haven't had any major problems with it at all. If you take care of it, the bike will be fine.

motometal

Lifetime Sponsor
2001 RM250 faster than 2001 CR250? Depends on who is doing the port work, and how far off the cylinder was to start with. Let me just say you'd have a bit of catching up to do. Some of the RMs were only sporting thirty-some horses out of the crate!

This whole power issue depends alot on which year of RM ? 00 or 01. the 00 is very fast. Here in Oregon there are many places you can buy 01 RM and KX's for 3999.00 without any tax which is at least 1500 dollars cheaper than you will find an 02 CR for. I have owed 3 RMs and currently ride a 01 CR 250 I like the CR but can't really say that is worlds better in the quality dept. I guess it depends alot on how much, how hard and how many years you ride the bike. as well as good maintnence, they are two stroke race which have never been know to be the most reliable bikes. I have never had problems with either brands. I do plan on buying another RM in 02. I think their power issue is resolved in 02.

Nathan

I agree. If your going yellow at least get the'00. The motor on the '01 sucks. :o

P.S If you go yellow your going to need that extra 2k for all the tools that you will need to buy. If you don't believe, me check out the thread on page 4 of this discussion titled " New rm250 Going Back " :D:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
I've had a 92' RM250 since it was new and I finally just sold it. That was the most reliable bike I've ever had. It all comes down to how you take care of it. I went out and purchased an 01 RM because I wanted the updated everything! I'm more than pleased with the 01. I've heard that the 00 wasn't that great and I've also read that the 02 motor is alot better on the bottom end. If you have a chance at getting an 01 for that cheap, grab it. If you don't care about the cost, get an 02, they made some adjustments that were supposed to help. I know that the CR is a great bike and that the 02 RM is neck and neck now with it. Get the October Dirt Bike issue, they have a great article on the 02 RM.
I changed out my pipe and silencer and rejetted my 01 and it helped alot on the top end. I will probably have it ported too to take care of some low end power. All in all, buy what you like, don't buy something cause it's a great deal, you may not be happy. I've always liked the zuki just because i grew up with them. I'm not saying that it's the best bike, but it's the best bike for me. Good luck

This is a no brainer

Save your $3800 and get the '02 CR. It is WORLDS better in quality-reliablity and has much better and easier resale. There is a reason that Suzuki is the lowest selling bike brand for MX-their quality is very suspect at best. I have owned Suzukis and raced them for 1 year in the late '90s. I went back to Honda because they simply are better built and if properly maintained are a vastly superior bike in every respect. Buy the Zuk if you like, but be ready for problems if you race it or ride it regularly. Power wise any 250 will get your attention-this is a non issue.

Now that I've gotten a little used to the 02 Cr 250, I can tell you it is an awesome bike. Since I was riding an 01 426 it has taken me a good 4 rides to really get a good feel for the 2 stroke. LIGHT! That is the first thing that comes to mind! BRAKES! That is the second thing that comes to mind. RIPS! That is the third thing that comes to mind. This bike flat out moves, and yet it is so smooth. The clutch pull reminds me of a 125.
The suspension I have not touched, sag or clickers and it seems Awesome!
My girlfriend told me last night that she thinks that if I could sleep with my CR I would!
Regards:cool:

What!

I've owned/ridden lots of newer hondas and Suzukis(race bikes), and i prefer Honda,BUT i have no problems with riding/owing a Suzuki. Their both excellent bikes, but go for the honda.:)

Both are great bike's and I mean no disrespect to Suzuki owners,but the
fit and finish on the Honda is much better.I have had several kawasaki's,
a KTM,yamaha's etc,but I will say that the fit and finish on my 00 CR125R
is better than any other bike I have ever had.Honda just seems to be a little
more concerned with the details.Now that being said,if you can get the RM
for that price,I would probably go with it.But if the price is the same the Honda is the obvious choice.
89vett
CR125R