FMF Man

Sep 22, 2000
How good are the 00 rm 250's on the trails and how reliable are they. Some kid i know offered me his 00 or 01 rm 250 that he just bought brand new from the dealership 2 months ago for 3800. Or i could wait until next year and get an 02 CR 250 which is the bike i was origninally going to get until this popped up. Which one would you guys take if you were me. That 02 cr is really nice but so is saving $2000.

FMF Man

Sep 22, 2000
When i said for 3800 that isn't the price he paid for it new that is the price that he is offering it to me for. Just wanted to clear that up.

tonester

Aug 10, 2001
In my experience I haven't had very good luck with Zuk's reliability. If you want a bike that is reliable, and think everyone on this site will agree with me, go with the Honda. :cool:

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
I haven't riden a CR or an RM, but i can tell you this, if that RM is $2000 less i would go for it. Even if there is some reliabiliy issue, wich i doubt there really is, just think of what you can do with all that money you save. You get get a new helmet, revalve the suspension, get the motor ported, buy a nice set of bars and still have money left over.

In the end, the RM will be faster, and the suspension will be tailored to you. I have a 2000 KX250 and people say that they arent reliable either, but i haven't had any major problems with it at all. If you take care of it, the bike will be fine.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
2001 RM250 faster than 2001 CR250? Depends on who is doing the port work, and how far off the cylinder was to start with. Let me just say you'd have a bit of catching up to do. Some of the RMs were only sporting thirty-some horses out of the crate!

zorlac_147

~SPONSOR~
Jan 31, 2001
This whole power issue depends alot on which year of RM ? 00 or 01. the 00 is very fast. Here in Oregon there are many places you can buy 01 RM and KX's for 3999.00 without any tax which is at least 1500 dollars cheaper than you will find an 02 CR for. I have owed 3 RMs and currently ride a 01 CR 250 I like the CR but can't really say that is worlds better in the quality dept. I guess it depends alot on how much, how hard and how many years you ride the bike. as well as good maintnence, they are two stroke race which have never been know to be the most reliable bikes. I have never had problems with either brands. I do plan on buying another RM in 02. I think their power issue is resolved in 02.

Nathan

tonester

Aug 10, 2001
I agree. If your going yellow at least get the'00. The motor on the '01 sucks. :o

P.S If you go yellow your going to need that extra 2k for all the tools that you will need to buy. If you don't believe, me check out the thread on page 4 of this discussion titled " New rm250 Going Back " :D:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I've had a 92' RM250 since it was new and I finally just sold it. That was the most reliable bike I've ever had. It all comes down to how you take care of it. I went out and purchased an 01 RM because I wanted the updated everything! I'm more than pleased with the 01. I've heard that the 00 wasn't that great and I've also read that the 02 motor is alot better on the bottom end. If you have a chance at getting an 01 for that cheap, grab it. If you don't care about the cost, get an 02, they made some adjustments that were supposed to help. I know that the CR is a great bike and that the 02 RM is neck and neck now with it. Get the October Dirt Bike issue, they have a great article on the 02 RM.
I changed out my pipe and silencer and rejetted my 01 and it helped alot on the top end. I will probably have it ported too to take care of some low end power. All in all, buy what you like, don't buy something cause it's a great deal, you may not be happy. I've always liked the zuki just because i grew up with them. I'm not saying that it's the best bike, but it's the best bike for me. Good luck

moto1313

Oct 9, 2000
This is a no brainer

Save your $3800 and get the '02 CR. It is WORLDS better in quality-reliablity and has much better and easier resale. There is a reason that Suzuki is the lowest selling bike brand for MX-their quality is very suspect at best. I have owned Suzukis and raced them for 1 year in the late '90s. I went back to Honda because they simply are better built and if properly maintained are a vastly superior bike in every respect. Buy the Zuk if you like, but be ready for problems if you race it or ride it regularly. Power wise any 250 will get your attention-this is a non issue.

IBWFO

Aug 5, 2001
Now that I've gotten a little used to the 02 Cr 250, I can tell you it is an awesome bike. Since I was riding an 01 426 it has taken me a good 4 rides to really get a good feel for the 2 stroke. LIGHT! That is the first thing that comes to mind! BRAKES! That is the second thing that comes to mind. RIPS! That is the third thing that comes to mind. This bike flat out moves, and yet it is so smooth. The clutch pull reminds me of a 125.
The suspension I have not touched, sag or clickers and it seems Awesome!
My girlfriend told me last night that she thinks that if I could sleep with my CR I would!
Regards:cool:

cr125_king

Apr 2, 2001
What!

I've owned/ridden lots of newer hondas and Suzukis(race bikes), and i prefer Honda,BUT i have no problems with riding/owing a Suzuki. Their both excellent bikes, but go for the honda.:)

89vett

Aug 6, 2000
Both are great bike's and I mean no disrespect to Suzuki owners,but the
fit and finish on the Honda is much better.I have had several kawasaki's,
a KTM,yamaha's etc,but I will say that the fit and finish on my 00 CR125R
is better than any other bike I have ever had.Honda just seems to be a little
more concerned with the details.Now that being said,if you can get the RM
for that price,I would probably go with it.But if the price is the same the Honda is the obvious choice.
89vett
CR125R

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
No disrespect taken! I know that the quality of Honda is better. It's just personal prefference, like I said, I grew up with the zuki and really have had no reliablility problems with them. I'm also not a hardcore every weekend racer. I ride track and single track it and have been more than happy with my zuki. I'm a sucker for black and yellow I guess, high school colors!

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
Word is out that Suzuki is trying to up it's quality in 02. The new bikes will have Excel rims and supposedly better fasteners, mounts, etc.. I don't know why people bag on Suzukis because they are just as good as other bikes if maintained correctly.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
No disrespect to the massive number of Honda devotees out there but I have owned Yamahas, Suzukis, Hondas, Kawasakis, a KTM and now a Husqvarna and so far the most reliable is my Husqvarna, although fit and finish my KTM was better. And in reality I never had any serious issues with any of the brands but I do the maintaince. I have seen more people leave the tracks here with broken Hondas than any other bike, but I assume that is because there are more people riding Hondas. I just bought my son a new YZ85 but would have bought an RM85 had the 02s been out. My next bike will probably be a KTM again. Seeing I never had any real problems with any brand I will pick the bike by what fits my riding style best and needs the least amount of mods to be what I want in a bike vs any other criteria.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
I have seen Suzukis that were great bikes, but also have seen some real lemons. It isn't fair to generalize and insist that Hondas ALWAYS have better quality. But I just haven't seen to many "lemon" Hondas, and I have seen or owned several Suzukis with lots of weird problems not typical with other bikes. I'm talking about either problems when the bike was brand new, or items wearing out prematurely.

Sometimes I think it depends if your bike was made at 10:45 on a Tuesday, or 4:55 on a Friday.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
That's why I stay away from the Mexico made Chevy's that were pieced together on Friday afternoons! You can definately tell the difference, no kidding. And if you don't know, a "3" in the beginning of the VIN on vehicles tells you it's made in Mexico.

RYDMOTO

~SPONSOR~
Feb 16, 2001
Hey IBWFO, I have a 2000 CR250,been kicking around the idea of a 2002 CR250.Can you tell me if it's that much better than the 2000?I would hate to buy one and end up saying to myself that there isn't that much diff. between the two.But if it is one of those"this thing is wayyyy sweet"I'll order one monday morning.Thanks!

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
Your Choice

FMF MAN,

I recently purchased an 01 rm 250. New Bike. Like you, price was a major issue. I originally sought to buy a good used cr for the same price, but ended up with the new rm.

Never rode a suzuki before and was surprised and at first dissapointed with the bike. If you can ride the suzuki before you buy I suggest doing so. That would be a major advantage of buying any bike.

After getting some help from the guys/girls here, the bike performs well. All I did was experiment a little w/ the jets and needle position and also softened up the forks. Didn't spend any considerable more $ and I feel good knowing I was able to get it to do what I needed it to.

That being said, I don't think you could go wrong w/ the Honda. I've owned 4 (SL, CR, XL, and a Shadow)and was always impressed. I chose the rm and decided to stick with it. If I could do it over, I would probably look for a good deal on a CR, used or new. Just my honest opinion.

Good Luck,

Chief

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
My 91 RM is probably the best handling bike I have ever ridden and I haven't ridden anything with such a top end hit. And this thing is stock. Not even the new 00 CR250 I rode last week was up to snuff, but hey everyone will tell you differently. But it all depends on what you can afford and what you honestly want. None of your riding buddy's have either of the bikes? Might want to try and get a ride in on both and then make up your mind. Hopefully you make the right decision and have a great time with your new bike :)

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
I don't think hondas are more reliable anymore. I got a cracked bridge on the second piston with the 00cr125. and some of my zuk friends are still riding with no problems like this. The difference to me is in resale value. I can get the price I want for a honda and get tons of phone calls when I want to sell it. I would really jump on the zook if you can get it cheap in the first place. Then, you don't mind reselling it cheaper either.

BermBuster

Apr 17, 2001
I currently own a 2000 CR250 and I love it. However, I'm partial to RM's since I've owned several. My 91 RM250 was great. I had absolutely no problems with it.

I've read how the '01 is a dog out of the crate, but if you rode one, you might find that the power is right where you need it. You never know until you try it.

I love the '02 RM250. I looked at a new one on the showroom floor just for giggles, as I have no intention of replacing my '00 CR250.

But for what its worth, I think that Suzuki will turn some heads with the new RM250. In fact, I told my wife that I sure would love to buy one and set it up for the woods, while continuing to ride MX with the CR. As soon as she was done laughing, I said 'Can't blame me for Trying'! ;)

Top Bottom