mxman2000

Jan 19, 2008
Hi,

Just recently my 01 rm 250 has started having problems with the powerband. Sometimes it just wont come on, its as if its sticking. i have not yet checked the power valve yet but will soon. the other thing is when its "idleing" i notice it can rev high then low. the only time i have seen this happen before was when it had run very low on water and was overheating.

Basicly its not running right :fft:

Just wanting to check other peoples opinions to see weather they think this is either a overheating problem/electrical problem or possibly just a clogged power valve.

On a side note, Piston and rings were changed only a few months ago but has been ridden pretty hard :ride:

2strokesrock

Oct 7, 2008
I had somthing like this happen to my old 125.... and it was do to running it too lean, is it smoking at all? if not you may want to check your jetting.

mxman2000

Jan 19, 2008
2strokesrock said:
I had somthing like this happen to my old 125.... and it was do to running it too lean, is it smoking at all? if not you may want to check your jetting.

It is slightly smoky i think but why would my jetting change? i have not touched it.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Some debris may be floating around in the float bowl. I would start by cleaning the carb and power valve.

spark250

Feb 7, 2008
Usually when I have had problems with an idle like that it's an air leak. (which would create a lean problem)

check the carb boot, seal at the cylinder and check your pipe thoroughly.

mxman2000

Jan 19, 2008
spark250 said:
Usually when I have had problems with an idle like that it's an air leak. (which would create a lean problem)

check the carb boot, seal at the cylinder and check your pipe thoroughly.

this is good info. I will give the carb a check, might as well clean out the powervalve cause it looked pretty clogged last time i looked. never even thought about air leaks though.i will check that out too.

Something i did notice was i put a dent in my expansion chamber :(, nothing too serious but you dont think this could change the fuel mix too much?

2strokesrock

Oct 7, 2008
mxman2000 said:
this is good info. I will give the carb a check, might as well clean out the powervalve cause it looked pretty clogged last time i looked. never even thought about air leaks though.i will check that out too.

Something i did notice was i put a dent in my expansion chamber :(, nothing too serious but you dont think this could change the fuel mix too much?

Well I am not sure if a dent would effect it, but....I cleaned out my spark arestor and I had to rejet it..so it could affect it.

mxman2000

Jan 19, 2008
After cleaning out the power valve and taking the carb and reeds off i found nothing but then opened up the water pump and found the impellor has sheered off :yikes: . i just hope i havent warped the head or done any other damage as its been ridden for 3 weeks like that. :bang:

mxman2000

Jan 19, 2008
After replacing broken impellor i still have low power :( Not too sure what could be wrong as have cleanes powervalve, checked reeds, checked carb and sorted cooling problem. Suppose i will get a new set of rings and see if that helps things.

mxman2000

Jan 19, 2008
Ok, i have the cylinder off but piston rings look ok. obviously running the bike with no cooling for a few weeks has killed the power but it only seems to be the top end revs.

Any ideas anyone?

Top Bottom