RM 250 triple clamp fit 05 to 03 frame

Oct 15, 2006
I plan to fit Kayaba 48mm dual chamber forks from a 04/05 Suzuki RMZ 250 to a 03 Suzuki RM 250 frame. No worries with fitment of wheel and brake related parts as I have access to a machine shop and can customise wheel spacers, axels and the like. The main issue I have is the triple clamp. I can source aftermarket triple clamps that were designed to fit Factory Kayaba 48mm forks to an 05/06 RM 250, but I am not 100% that they will fit the 03 frame ( nor is the source of the clamps able to elaborate on this issue! ). The main issue I see is the centre pivot and steering stop tabs, I know of a company called Emig Racing that will make custom centre pivot for very good price if needed, so that leaves the steering stop tabs. Can anyone post information on the 05 triple clamps ( for example 05 frame steerer tube and stop dimensions for comparison to 03 frame )? Or is there anybody who may be aware of issues I may run into trying to fit these triple clamps to the 03 frame. I guess a similar scenario would be attempting to fit OEM 47mm Showa twin chambers from a 04/05 RM 250 to the 03 chassis. Is there a difference between these frames? Some may say that it would be cheaper just to trade up to a 05-07 RM and that is something I may do in future, but this 03 RM is fairly fresh and I have put alot of time and money into upgrading it and even if I buy an 05-07 bike for next season I plan to keep this 03 RM as a training bike ( save the new bike from being trashed during practice so to speak ). Thanks in advance for any comments, suggestions and input.

Oct 15, 2006
I did already, I spoke with Paige, and I was interested in buying the clamps from Emig Racing, however the quote she gave me was twice my original estimate for the clamps. As much as I would like to buy from Emig Racing I couldn't afford the custom clamps. Now I have access to the 05 clamps at a really nice price I'm trying to come up with a solution that will work and a solution that I won't have to buy a new bike ( bit catch 22 ). Perhaps yourself or another forum user could come up with some numbers on the 05 frame? TIA.

Oct 15, 2006
Cheers mate, the source for the 05 clamps I mentioned previously told me that the items were only developed for the RM 250 in 2005, they hadn't fitted factory Kayaba suspension to Suzuki RM machines prior to that and could not guarantee the fit. I have an opportunity to fit a set of unused RMZ 250 48mm forks to my bike. With the 05 clamps the whole job works out roughly 1000euro cheaper than it would cost me to upgrade to a decent 05-06 bike. Also I have recently rebuilt my motor and installed a billet clutch, so I'd like to keep the bike for another season. I would be very grateful to you if you could take a couple of rough measurments of the head tube on your frame. I guess diameter, height and the size of the steering stop tab would be useful.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
if you look, all the recent RMs use the same replacement steering stem bearing kits so i think you are good to go.

well, 03-04 is cool but the 05 uses a different kit.

OK, i just checked, the only thing they changed is the top bearing, the diameters on the bottom bearing are the same.

thus, you should be able to swap clamps no problem

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom