brandname

Dec 7, 2008
I have just changed the bearings on my rm 250 in the linkage arms but after putting in the new seals and bearings some of the actuall linkage feels stiff and tight. Its as if the seals are making it tight.

Should the linkage move freely with new bearings or is it supposed to be tight?

I can upload a photo of the problem parts if its of any benefit.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
It will be a bit tight but that's hard to judge over the Internet. They won't move under their own weight. Did you torque the bolts the the right spec?

brandname

Dec 7, 2008
RM_guy said:
It will be a bit tight but that's hard to judge over the Internet. They won't move under their own weight. Did you torque the bolts the the right spec?

They are not stiff as in u cant move them but you have to apply force to make it move. it seems to be the seals that are making it stiff.

As for the right torque settings. :yikes:

I didnt use a torque wrench, just as tight as i thought was about right.

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
the feeling of the linkage should be snug as in not sloppy but not tight as in binding.
did you grease everything including the seals?dry rubber against metal will have a drag and will also wear out your seals quickly. If you had a joint design that includes a thrust bearing\washer then a torque wrench is essential if not shims to help from squeezing things out of parralel<?>

brandname

Dec 7, 2008
jsantapau said:
the feeling of the linkage should be snug as in not sloppy but not tight as in binding.
did you grease everything including the seals?dry rubber against metal will have a drag and will also wear out your seals quickly. If you had a joint design that includes a thrust bearing\washer then a torque wrench is essential if not shims to help from squeezing things out of parralel<?>

I greased it the bearings but not the outside of the seals. This is probably what is causing the tightness. I have just bought the swingarm bearings now but dont have a torque wrench, it consists of thrust washers.

Top Bottom