RM-Z / KX-F Long term ride reviews ?

Weld it

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2001
Has anyone got anymore long term ( ? ) ride reviews of the RM-Z /
KX-F 250's ? I have been thinking about getting one but you keep
hearing about transmission problems they had at Vegas, and I am curious if this isn't just a internet rumor gone wild.

Have any of you been riding these offroad ? Is a flywheel weight needed or any other mods.

Thanks Weld it

HRP396

Sep 29, 2003
I am not an expert but I have been riding for over 30 years. I got my rmz about 4 weeks ago. I have riddin dozens of different two and four stokes over the past few years. None compare to the rmz.I belive the rmz is everything they said it was and more.It is a blast to ride.it handles just about everything you could imagine and does it all with ease. I have owned over two dozen different dirt bikes over the past five years.After riding the RMZ I don't think I be looking for another bike for a long time.

jsmith811

Jun 21, 2000
I agree 100% with what he said, I have had my KXF for only 2.5 weeks, but can't complain about anything, except the lack of availability on oil filters (will be resolved). I have owned several yzf250's, this bike "Feels" 10-15 lbs. lighter in the air. The lower seat height (as compared to the yzf250) is better for me as well. Not to say anything bad about the yzf, the kxf just fits "me" better & feels alot lighter. It's a good looking bike as well. I don't think you can for-see long term reliability on any of the bikes except the yzf, nobody knows about reliability on the RMZ or CRF yet. I would "guess" with proper attention to oil changes and air filter changes it will last as long as any of them. I don't think there is going to be a big recall on the bikes on transmission or anything else.

Mike Fallon

May 28, 2001
Just got mine took to a indoor practice track every thing was great .Just switched it over to ultimate 4 going to race it indoors this weekend, we also cant get no oil filters yet ?

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
how difficult was it to get you kxf/rm-z's? was there a waiting list or anything? im just curious because as soon as my yz 250f is paid off its up for sale and im probably gonna buy one. i was gonna go back to a 2 stroke but i rode my friends 03 rm 125 and decided i didnt like the 2 strokes power, i liked the 4 strokes torque but i liked the light weight and handling of the 2 stroke. does the kxf/rm-z really feel like a 125 2 stroke?

HRP396

Sep 29, 2003
I rode my sons wr 250f and the rmz feels a lot lighter and better balanced. The wr 250f has good power but is bulkey and does not feel anything like a two stroke .The rmz feels much more like a two stroke than any four stroke I have ever riddin.I am not shure of how long a wait for one I ordered mine last summer after reading everything I could find about the bike I felt it would be the perfect bike for me. It might not be the right bike for everyone but It's the best all around mx bike I have ever riddin.I was lucky to get one of the first ones. I have heard they are hard to get right now.

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
"Long term reviews"???
Didnt these bikes just come out?
Do any of 'em have more than 1 or 2 hundred miles on em yet?
Sorry, guess im not thinking in "motocross" time zones. :eek:
Long term to me is somethin like 2 or 3 years or so......... :laugh:

ob1

Sep 30, 2003
It feels a little bit heavier than a 2-stroke 125 but it is not tiring to ride. I went from a 99-KX125 to the 04-KX250F. It will carve any corner you put the front wheel in, and launching out of corners is as easy as twisting the throttle, it just hooks up and goes..
Off the starting line, (2nd gear start, concrete pad), I was easily able to stay with the 250 2-strokes and 450s for top5 starts, which I could never do on my 125. (I race the + classes).
I have 2 riding hours on the bike and it is as strong as ever..

ob1

Sep 30, 2003
I also forgot to mention that it is as easy to kickstart as a 125, which is a huge difference compared to the YZ250f. I've not tried it, but I bet I could start it with my hand if I had to..

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
You may find the clutch is the first thing to wear-a much abused mag tested bike was ran at the last british championship round-it was very fast and the rider got 2nd in timed practice but the clutch gave up-this isnt a fault as such as the bike had done many hours and no parts were available-its just the same as what a 125 would do given enough abuse.

UKcr125rider

Apr 28, 2002
If thats the Smyths TAS Suzuki bike you are talking about Marcus, it was a brand spanker the weekend of the British but it did fry the clutch! The guy i get my parts off had that very bike in his workshop the week of the race as he spanners for TAS!

whyz

~SPONSOR~
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by ob1
I also forgot to mention that it is as easy to kickstart as a 125, which is a huge difference compared to the YZ250f. I've not tried it, but I bet I could start it with my hand if I had to..

I can start mine with my hand,,,, Cold. :laugh:
Had it since Jan. Now that's a sorta long review.
And I ride every week. :aj:

hug747

May 14, 2001
I just saw a KXF250 at a local dealer in southern Il. I have a couple of questions: #1- Do you really have to drain the coolant to change the oil filter? I couldn't believe the covers were actually made together. #2-Will an aftermarket 2pc cvr become available. Sorry 3 questons: #3 I noticed an opening in the top of the airboot; this couldn't possibly be open? The bike looks excellent and the 01 kaw 125 might come up for sale, but I need to find out about these few details of the kxf.

Thanks

ob1

Sep 30, 2003
Fairly easy answers:

1 (and 2). Yes, as the water pump/oil filter cover is one piece. My SFB cover arrives next week, and pro-circut also has a 2-piece cover available. Both are in the $130 range. It is my guess that the 2005 KXF/RMZ will have a 2-piece cover from the factory.

My bike doesn't have any unusual openings in the airboot or airbox, nor have any been reported by the the other owners I know. Can you describe the location a little better?

Put your 01 in the paper today, cause once you ride the KXF you'll never go back..

hug747

May 14, 2001
Thanks for the answers ob1.

The opening is near the airbox, but is actually on the airboot. The opening looks like a hole, maybe a little smaller than a dime. It is also on the topside of the boot. I'm not sure if it is a clear opening, but it almost looks like a hose of some kind may not have been attached.

326mx

Mar 25, 2002
Hey, could that local dealer have been Sparks & Son's Honda Kaw KTM?

just wondering, cause I line in Robinson, and they have one. I plan on buying a bike from there, and its a possibility.

Could the clutch failure have been from riding it like a 2 stroke?

Top Bottom