overthebars

Jul 9, 2005
A while back I picked up a '00 RM125 that had a bunch of problems stemmed from neglect. It clutch wouldn't disengage, the power valve was stuck, and the holed piston (from the wrong plug being used). The squid kid who had it also said it occasionally pops out of gear. Otherwise the bike was fairly clean, and I bought it for a song, so I tore into it. While I had it apart, I inspected the shift mechanism (it looks perfect), and split the cases (it had never been apart before) and looked at the gears and shift forks. The dogs were not rounded, the forks were not bent or wore beyond spec., I could see nothing wrong so I put it all back together.
Well it is back running, and everything works really well... except the tranny. It shifts itself from 2nd gear into true nuetral under full throttle at full rpm. It doesn't matter if you upshifted or downshifted into second, or did a sloppy shift or deliberete shift. It works fine in 2nd until it is reved out, then BAM!, nuetral, almost every single time.
I must have missed something. Any clues? Should I just go ahead & split the case again and replace 2nd gear? (Bummer!)
Thanks for any ideas.

rpmRMiam

Jul 7, 2005
change the shift drum and the forks and secon gears. also change the spring on the shift rod. Be sure to check the shift plate thing thing that bolts on the outside of the shift drum and the shift ratchet gets stripped after it starts popping out of second

Top Bottom