cr85rb_rider

Uhhh...
Nov 28, 2006
Im not compltely sure this is the right forum

I bought a 2000 rm250 yestersay night for 1500 dollars. At that cheap of a price i thaught it might have something wrong with it. Well i got there and there is like no rust at all on the frame, it has a bills pipe and silencer, a racing clutch basket, pro taper bars, O ring chain and alot more, i just cant remember. Well he has a whole box of extra parts, 2 top end gagket sets, 2 piston rings, front and rear sproket (and there barley even worn at all, still flat on the top) and a chain with no rust,OEM pipe and silencer, a full set of plastic and 2 graphics sets, and a new seat cover.

First ride:

At first i was scared of the powerband because of what yall told me, but i just got over it and pinned it and went through the first 4 gears, i wasnt toped out in 4th, but i was going the fastest ive ever went and i barley even had room to get to speed. It never wheelied on me at all, it does have a 6 oz flyweight, but it was losing traction (its not muddy here, it just loses traction when i hit the powerband) so that explains it not being as fast as i thaught. It feels very light and it is also easy to crank, i crank it 2nd kick everytime, one 1st kick though. I runs strong and is really deep and thoaty. As was actually impressed with how well the bike handles, espically since the suspension with me on it only has about 3 inches of sag. And the brakes are very good, the rear is a little to touchy cuz it locked up on me a couple times, when i wish it didnt. It also feels very light when i was riding it, it feels like the 85, just not as small.

After i got done riding i spent a whole hour just washing and drying the bike, and it looks great, im putting some barkbusters and another skid plate on it tommarow which also came in the box.

I think the guy i brought it from sometimes goes on this message board.

I love the bike and i rate it a 8.5/10

Power: I was expecting a little more power out of i honestly, but it was still a good motor, 8/10

Trans: I liked the feel of the clutch, and it was easy to feather, and it was smoothe, 10/10

Egros: I liked the position of it but it was a little hard to hang on (as expected) and the shifter is the right place, so is the brake pedal, 9/10

Suspension: Ive made it as solf as it can possibly go, and i barley have 3 inches of sag, i might be buying a softer spring, but it did absorb bumps pretty well, no rating

Cornering: I liked its cornering, it is a sharp turning bike and it has new tires which helped, 9/10

Brakes: I liked the front brake its firm and responsize and so is the rear, but it locks up pretty easy, 8/10

I wasnt impressed with the topend power, but thats because it has a flywheel weight, but it didnt have great power from the factory ither, but more topend would be the first thing id do after getting faster on it

so 8.5 - 9

If you do read this eric, i like the bike and glad i could buy it from you.

Ohh and how do you change your name, or am i stuck with 85_rider?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
cr85rb_rider said:
I wasnt impressed with the topend power, but thats because it has a flywheel weight,

A flywheel weight has no influence on top end power.

jtm994

Dec 4, 2006
Glad to hear you like the bike. I bought a KTM250SX a few weeks ago (my first bike) and i also was expecting alot more power but i love it. Before i bought it i talked to alot of guy on this site and they all were telling me to go with the 125 just b/c it was my first bike but i am doing fine on the 250t.

cr85rb_rider

Uhhh...
Nov 28, 2006
Yes, i was expecting something that would throw me off the back, but i was pinning it my first day riding it

Im not sure why its losing traction, because its not really wet over and it was on grass...

I guess about the flywheel weight maybe its because its not like nothing, then everything like my 85, so im not used to a realitivly smooth powerband(or so it seemed), but it still made me hang on by pulling on the handlebars, so i might put the old seat cover back on because it was stickyer

But it doesnt really feel like its losing traction, but its throwing grass and roots 3 stories high, and it diggs a hole from where the tire was, so im assuming thats losing traction (my 85 never did that), or is it just 45 hp doing what it does?

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
Post some pictures of the bike. I like looking at how other people do their bikes up. I'll post a picture in a couple minutes of ours.

cr85rb_rider

Uhhh...
Nov 28, 2006
Yahh, maybe i should of got a cr500 instead, i could use a little more power

not really, its alot faster than the 85, i just need a sticky seat cover so i wont have to use the death grip on the handlebars to keep my ass on the bike. :| :rotfl:

Thanks 4thgearandpinned

Last edited by a moderator:

rjl250

Oct 18, 2004
I think your traction problems are probably caused in part by your suspension set up. With the bike sitting up so high I'm not surprised you can't get any bite. Traction will always be a problem on a big 2t though. I weigh 230 and still have to work at my throttle control on some surfaces to keep from getting excessive wheelspin. If you really want to see how fast your bike is take it onto a nice watered loam where the bike will hook up well or even some pavement if you can do it safely. You really need to get the sag down a little lower to allow the suspension to do it's job though.

MX86

Dec 27, 2006
the wheels will spin on some surfaces.. like wet grass for example...

>MOD EDIT< dont link to urls containing profanity

Last edited by a moderator:

cr85rb_rider

Uhhh...
Nov 28, 2006
So the suspension is whats doing it, i'm going to order some new springs once i get enough money in my hand.

Ill keep the flywheel weight on because thats the only thing keeping me from losing traction.

Hey were can i find fork springs and springs, ive looked eveywhere and cant find any?

Last edited:

rjl250

Oct 18, 2004
Click on the MXTECH link on this website. Use the spring generator to find out what part number you need. You can buy right off the MXTECH website or search through the myriad of parts suppliers to find out who's cheaper. Good luck.

Top Bottom