RM250 head pipe and silencer leaks oil

tbru323

Jul 25, 2012
i have an 03 rm250, full pro circuit exhaust and v force reeds is all i was told is done performance wise. i run amsoil interceptor 50:1 and it likes to smoke and occasionally loads up when im not in the higher rpms, i wouldnt say i beat my bike, but i definatly clean it out. it drips burnt oil from the connection point of the head pipe and silencer, called pro circuit and they said no clamp or anything is necessary, its just a slip fitting. would this be jetting, or lean the oil mixture out more, help would be appreciated, thanks!

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
I've got an 03 and the stock jetting is way goofy.

For an altitude of 0-1500 ft. I would go down one size on the pilot.

2-3 sizes on the main.

Get a different needle... stock is real bad. Goes from rich to lean too quickly. You can play with the pilot and main till the world ends, it won't fix your issues. I ended up with a YZ250 needle.

Go back to 32:1 or even 40:1 with your oil.

The headpipe spooge means you need some silicone RTV over the o-rings before sliding the pipe into the cylinder. More RTV at the pipe/silencer junction.

Re-pack your silencer as it is most likely contaminated with oil.

Good, fresh fuel no less than 92-93 octane.

Very stong-running motor when it's jetted right. :cool:

tbru323

Jul 25, 2012
i have reeds and exhaust though, so stock would most likely starve it? and it has spooge at the joint between silencer and head pipe, the headpipe to the motor is perfect. i was told to fix it using rtv at the joint, but if it was jetted right and running the right mixture, then it shouldnt have oil back there? is that true or am i always gonna have oil its just a matter or sealing it?

arnego2

Mar 8, 2008
Spooge is not about too much but about the temperature of the engine and the way you ride. First thing is how old is the top end?

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Using less oil will cause a richer fuel mixture (less combustibles being mixed with air.) Go back to 32 or 40:1 and rejet.

Go into the KDX forum, there's good jetting info in there.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Definitely need to rejet the bike. The brass and time is well worth the effort. My 05 YZ 250 with 8-10 hrs on it when I got did the same thing @ 40:1. Rejeted using Spanky's jetting guide (KDX forum) and I'm still on the same plug! Granted I have only put 20 hrs a year on the bike over the last 4 years but it still starts in 1-2 kicks and the top end is still stock. It is fine if you think I'm yanking your chain but if you were to throw a leg over my YZ and kick it, you would find very good compression and no loss for power thru the gears. Jet it right and you won't have to worry about it any more.

Top Bottom