Hackstall

May 29, 2007
I just bought a 2002 RM 250. I want to add a headlight for some twilight riding. Is there a kit or easy way to add a headlight? Do I need a battery or can I run off the stator? How to attach?

My bike also can with no kickstand, just a side stand. I want to add a kickstand, but there does not appear to be factory mounts. What do I need to do/buy?

Thanks.

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
I highly recommend the niterider lights for your bike, as the your stator won't power lights. Niterider is a battery powered system and simple to install and remove. I bought a set for my YZ 250. When I ride during the day, it takes about 5 minutes to remove, or at night, 5 minutes to attach.

I don't know about a kickstand, they do make aftermarket stands that attach to the swingarm.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
I think UFO has a kit that plugs into the power jet circuit on the carb if 02's have that. Not to sure how bright the kit is but looks to be easily removable. Other option would be upgrade the stator and coil set-up so it can run lights. As for the kick stand, check rockymountain, they had a nice one I saw a bunch of guys use that road MX bikes as trail bikes. Not to sure if you could adapt a RMX one up or not.

This is what I was referring to about the lights.
Lighting<----------

Its and old old article so not sure if its compatible with the newer RM's

CHR!S

Jun 30, 2006
sick 96 250 said:
This is what I was referring to about the lights.
Lighting<----------
someone said:
Doesn't look like it's worth it for riding at night tho. Pretty cool idea they had.

The Steahly website product description states: "Headlight is bright enough for casual trail riding or to be enduro legal, not for high speeds, dunes, street, ect"

it is however available up to '06 according to the website.

CHR!S

Jun 30, 2006
Someone said:
I have the dual Hellfire HID setup found here:
http://www.niterideroffroad.com/cm.shtml

I also bought an extra battery pack and keep it in my water bag/backpack. I believe the batteries are rated for 90 minutes, but I have used them for longer than that (turning them off for breaks may have helped).

The hellfire lights, battery kit, and extra battery come out to roughly $650! :yikes:

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
CHR!S said:
The hellfire lights, battery kit, and extra battery come out to roughly $650! :yikes:
Yeah thats pretty expensive I think, I would rather go with an after market lighting set-up for that price thats the real deal.

Hackstall only really mentioned twilight which could be anything, not exactly knowing the terrain or time he would be riding. For the UFO kit doesnt seem to pricey and I would think there are some tricks to how bright you could make it using certain quality LED's or something maybe?

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
That's about the same price you're going to pay for an eline/coil setup. I've had them both and prefer the Hellfire setup by far. They're brighter, and they still work when the bike isn't running (imagine crashing with zero light).

Plus the Hellfire setup is compatible with any dirtbike (resale).

CHR!S

Jun 30, 2006
Someone said:
That's about the same price you're going to pay for an eline/coil setup. I've had them both and prefer the Hellfire setup by far. They're brighter, and they still work when the bike isn't running (imagine crashing with zero light).

Plus the Hellfire setup is compatible with any dirtbike (resale).

You do make a good point. What kind of riding do you do? Do you think the output of the dual set up is sufficient for medium-high speed desert riding? can you individually position each of the lights?
Also, do you know if you can remove the lights from the bike and mount them on your helmet?

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
Yes, definitely good for baja type riding, that's what they're designed for. I guestimate I run at about 80% speed at night. I ride trails with thick vegetation. Each light is individually adjustable for any angle, even while you're riding.

The Hellfire lights aren't designed for helmet-mount, but they do make HID lights made for the helmet (same basic light with different mount). I am thinking about getting one myself, just to have the light where I am looking.

quintwatson

Jan 22, 2006
I suggest that you visit your local mountain bike store and see what they have to offer. About 18 months ago I bought the Light and Motion ARC Li-ION light. It is tiny and comes with a mount that can attach right to your handlebar. I take the included velcro battery strap and strap it right around my pro-taper cross bar pad.

I can't express in words how amazing this light is. It is orders of magnitude brighter and cleaner light than the factory off road stator powered lights or the light systems that come with quads, even utility quads with their big batteries. The battery lasts about 3.5 hours. I got it for about $500 from Performance Bike.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=19368&subcategory_ID=4320

Even if you don't end up with this particular light, do check out mtn bike lights...

CHR!S

Jun 30, 2006
Someone said:
Yes, definitely good for baja type riding, that's what they're designed for. I guestimate I run at about 80% speed at night. I ride trails with thick vegetation. Each light is individually adjustable for any angle, even while you're riding.

The Hellfire lights aren't designed for helmet-mount, but they do make HID lights made for the helmet (same basic light with different mount). I am thinking about getting one myself, just to have the light where I am looking.

Cool! Now all I need to do is dig up 650 bucks... Or rob a convenience store.

where do you mount your battery?

Hackstall

May 29, 2007
I don't plan to do any baja riding and I am not looking to drop $650 on lights so the niterider is out. I have done some poking around and figure I can probably cobble something decent together for $50 or so.

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
The battery pack for the Hellfire setup mounts to one of your forks behind the number plate.

I know they're pricey, but they work out of the box, and work well. $50 lights would be a great thing to buy if they existed.

Top Bottom