Ron2stroke1

Feb 28, 2008
Hi i own a 1997 suzuki rm250 which i have lost spark on. I was riding it the other day and i shut it off to take a break and when i went to start it back up i had no spark. I even put my figer in the spark plug cap and there is no power coming out of it. I then took the bike apart to check for a bad connection or a grounded wire and still nothing. I also pulled off the flywheel to check the stator and everything looks ok. I am out of ideas and i realy need help fast
thanks, ron

SBC383STROKER

Feb 28, 2008
No spark?

check the ground wire by the coil. Take the sparkplug out of the engine, insert it in the sparkplug wire, and then touch against the cylinder head to create a ground and kick it over several times, you should then see an intense blue spark. If that doesn't work then check the resistance coming from your coil with a multimeter.

antonyp

Jun 20, 2002
Pafos
Ron2stroke1 said:
I even put my figer in the spark plug cap and there is no power coming out of it.

Whao, that was brave dude :coocoo:

To check the resistance of your coil you will need a multimeter set to read Ohms resistance (or a plain Ohmmeter)and then you need to connect one of the multimeter's connector on the coil ground (the part that touches your bike's frame) and the other on the coil wire. If the reading shows zero or a certain number of Ohms then the coil should be ok. If the reading shows infinite Ohms then the coil (or the circuit between the wire and the ground) is dead/broken.

Good luck :cool:

Ron2stroke1

Feb 28, 2008
hey guys i have one more question, i found a complete electrical system off of a 1999 rm250(coil,stator,flywheel,cdi, ect.) Would it fit on my bike?

tomcat1976

Apr 24, 2008
try removing the spark-plug cap and take the coil wire and move it close to some metal on bike and see if it shoots a spark. i have seen bad spark plug cap get bad or go bad over my years at working at the honda shop. try and see what happens. keep us posted.

Ron2stroke1

Feb 28, 2008
yea i treied that too i remioved the cap to get to the bare wire and still nothing. I bought a complete electrical system off of ebay from a 1999 rm 250 so i hope it wil fit.

Top Bottom