psustang89

Jun 22, 2006
When I bought my 94 RM250 I found to my dismay that the oil plug had been stripped out and JB welded in place by some genius. I have since drilled, retapped, and helicoiled the oil drain. I fabbed a rubber gasket that was working for a while, but now it's dripping, ever so slightly, once again. Any suggestions for stopping the leak? I teflon tape the plug and still have dripping. Anyone have any luck using a silicone gasket sealer around plug head? FYI - this is one of the reasons I'm looking to upgrade bikes...

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Is it leaking between the case and helicoil or between the helicoil and bolt head? If helicoil and bolt head, why don't you use a copper, aluminum, or nylon washer like you are supposed to? If leaking between the case and helicoil, the only thing I can say is you should have Loctited it.

On another note, Silicone RTV IS NOT A THREAD SEALANT and really sucks as one. It makes a mess, too. Use Aviation Form-A-Gasket or Permatex High Tack for better results.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Form a gasket or the like works well. I used it in a pinch once and found I never had to fix it. I eventually welded it up and redrilled it when the cases had to be split.

Top Bottom