250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
Another stupid and potentially dangerous idea from 250girl;

While Mom was in bed Saturday morning, I commted the sin of sneaking my bike into the house (basement) for its winter makeover. New grips, fork seals, rear suspension work, some new bearings, new front tire. Crossing my fingers and hoping I can squeeze another season out of it before a top end rebuild. And praying to the RM250 gods that a bottom end rebuild is not in the near future. Mom didn't freak out too bad about it being in the house, just came downstairs, stopped and stared incredulously, "why the hell is "THAT THING" in the house???? :think:

I was talking at Mom today ( and I do mean "at", she dislikes my bike and really does not want to hear about it) and she made a good point that I never thought of. Since I do so much doubling on my bike, why don't I put passenger pegs on it? It would be a lot easier to keep my passenger from flying off the fender if she had her own foot pegs farther back. But I am rather proud of my MX bike, and wouldn't passenger pegs be an insult to it? :fft:

Anyways, I am wondering if you guys have any ideas, experience or knowledge of this sort of thing? I don't think you can get p.pegs aftermarket for an RM250.... but if you can, please let me know. My Dad can do all sorts of welding and fabricating, so my options are endless. If anybody has any creative ideas or suggestions, I would really love to hear them.

Thanks again :blah: ,
250girl

SVTMc-G

Apr 1, 2006
That sounds like an accident waiting to happen no offense

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
You know they make some really wide footpegs? Back in the day, trail bikes had buddy pegs on the swingarm, travel about 3 inches. Not a good idea when the axle moves close to a foot! The platform pegs would be your best bet, maybe dad can make them bigger! Sadly, you riding double is making you a better rider by yourself? Oh, and another fine story, frigg'in ma trying to mess up a dirt bikers winter dream!(having the bike in the house that is)

SVTMc-G

Apr 1, 2006
I remember riding double as a kid....and gettin some mean pipe burn. nowhere's to put dem legs!ouch

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Have a motorcycle salvage yard anywhere near? I would think adapting some peg mounting system to your swingarm might work... perhaps they could thread on somehow so they're removable when riding solo...?
Some bikes mount a kickstand to the swingarm by simply bolting into two alum nuts that are welded to the swingarm.

B

biglou

Anything mounted to the swingarm is going to be in motion relative to the seat as the rear suspension moves. Might make things interesting though!

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
^^^ Yup, the whole idea is potentially quite dangerous.
250Girl... I'm assuming your passenger is only being transported somewhere...? Carefully and slowly...?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Yeah right! Just an estimate mind you, but I am pretty sure we are talking 70 mph death rides through the mountain trails. Mud bogs, whoops, and probably jumping! A new race discipline, you may lose points for losing your buddy? And I would bet the 2 of them together do not weigh what most guys weigh riding that bike.

TWRT

Sep 13, 2001
We will sometimes ride two on one bike. I usually put the person up front, so they can hold on (some) to the cross bar and put their feet on the cases. Some bikes have more 'case' room than others. With the person up front, you can hold on to them with your legs and press against them with your chest. The rider sure does get a birds-eye view of what is going on.

Dave

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I'm pretty sure my KTM620 had passenger pegs. I know I have mounted the clamp type "highway pegs" that fold to the subframe on an MX bike or two in the 90s.

Another slightly more comfortable way of doubling is to have the passenger put their feet on the pegs and the rider put theirs on top of the passenger's. I did see a tall, liber girl with long legs wrap her legs around her broyfriend and cross her feet in his lap. She and Russ Schooley rode like that for a long time in the trails at the '99 Ride-The-Divide Colorado Spodefest.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
250girl said:
My Dad can do all sorts of welding and fabricating, so my options are endless. If anybody has any creative ideas or suggestions, I would really love to hear them.
250girl

Not as stupid as you may think twofittygirl.

Although your bike was not designed to ride passengers, it will be much safer to do so with the proper passenger pegs.

I have installed many sets of passenger pegs on mx bikes. There are two ways to do it. You can machine four threaded lugs to weld on the sub frame and bolt a triangulated bracket to the lugs and then bolt your passenger pegs to the bracket. Or use a thick plate welded to the subframe with two threaded holes to bolt the triangulated bracket to. If the subframe tubing is small and thin, the plate works better since it distributes the stress on the tubing over a larger area.

Or, you can weld the triangulated bracket directly to the subframe. I prefer to weld the threaded lugs or threaded plate to the frame because when you remove the footpeg brackets, it only leaves four small lugs on the frame.

Go to a motorcycle salvage yard and look for a set of brackets and passenger pegs from a crotchrocket. Many of them have trick triangulated brackets that move the passenger pegs back to a comfortable position for the passenger. Look at the one's on the KTM adventure bikes for some ideas.

Don't mount them to the swingarm. Like others have said, your pegs will move up and down with the swingarm and it will be hard for your passengers to keep their feet on them. It will also weaken the swingarm if you weld or drill on it.

If your dad has any questions, have him email or pm me.

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
Yep, whenfoxforksruled has got the right idea. This is not slow, careful, deliberate from point A to point B doubling. This is us going up the mountain for the day, mud bogging, drag racing, ridin' with the guys type doubling. I weigh about 130 ish?? and my friend weighs about 125 (lbs). My bike has complete aftermarket suspension set up for a 200 + lb rider, so thats not a problem.

I don't think the swingarm idea is going to work... as it has been pointed out, too much travel. Although it really could be interesting. I am thinking the frame-subframe is the best route to take.

OL'89r: your idea is sounding very good. My only question is, can those be designed to fold back agianst the frame like they do on the street legal trail bikes? My only worry about passenger pegs is having them always sticking out, and on one of the numerous occasions where I end up under my bike, one of the pegs gouging me. So can they be disigned to fold up and down?

Apr 30, 2007
Actually, check out the passenger footpegs for a kawasaki Ninja 250. They would be about perfect mounted to the subframe. You can possibly find them for 20 bucks if you look around. When you're riding solo, they fold back, and won't be quite such a danger to your legs.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
When your comment includes "mud bogging, hanging with the guys on mountain trails while doubling" I end up losing all confidence in your smarts... riding like that with a passenger is just plain stupid. Period.
I guess you like "thrilling" us and yourself by posting these stories.

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
Yes, we do double up the mountain a lot, and have gone out with other people like that too. May I point out that mud is soft. I have been doubling for years, and have yet to crash while doing it. I plan on keeping it that way. When I am responsible for a passengers safety I ride accordingly.

When you get on a bike, you are accepting risk. Period. But there are many different levels of risk. Some people just ride slow cold blooded as safe as possible bikes on easy trails. Some drag race on unrealisticially tricked out bikes. Some race motocross. Some do insane hill climbs. Then there are the FMX guys, Travis Pastrana, Evil Kanevil. And they are famous, for doing dangerous, stupid things. People die, are criticially injured, and even spectators sometimes get hurt. Its all by personal choice and part of the sport.

It is out personal choice to double. So who are you to criticize?

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
And I apologize if my stories seem more like showing off than asking for advice. I guess I will just have to be a little more quick and to the point with less blathering.

It was not my intention to' "thrill" anyone.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
2-Strokes 4-ever said:
When your comment includes "mud bogging, hanging with the guys on mountain trails while doubling" I end up losing all confidence in your smarts... riding like that with a passenger is just plain stupid. Period.
I guess you like "thrilling" us and yourself by posting these stories.
:whoa: Who pooed in your stew? :fft:

I carried lots of passengers and even rode biotch a few times. We used to rest the egde of our boots on the top of the swingarm. Almost everybody had a buffed up spot on their left boot from the chain rubbing. The crotch rocket pegs on the subframe sounds like a better idea.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
And 2strokes, you gotta remember, she's Canadian. They march to the beat of different drum. :whoa: :nener:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Pfft! Between the tracks up there, and some of the stories,,, too bad its colder than here! COULD WHOEVER LEFT THE FREEZER DOOR OPENED UP THERE, CLOSE IT ALREADY! Back in the day, there was plenty of double riding myself. Ain't no way that I would bag on you, or anyone else for that! Matter of fact, I commend you for being concerned! I never cared, if they fell off, oh well, I warned them!

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
_JOE_ said:
And 2strokes, you gotta remember, she's Canadian. They march to the beat of different drum. :whoa: :nener:
yeah, a Canadian drum. Sounds like an oboe.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
250girl said:
OL'89r: your idea is sounding very good. My only question is, can those be designed to fold back agianst the frame like they do on the street legal trail bikes? My only worry about passenger pegs is having them always sticking out, and on one of the numerous occasions where I end up under my bike, one of the pegs gouging me. So can they be disigned to fold up and down?

Yes they do fold up twofittygirl.

The type of peg and bracket that justalonewolf suggested are exactly the type I was talking about. The bracket moves the peg back to a comfortable position for the passenger. Plus, if your dad welds the threaded bosses or bracket to your frame, you can remove the peg brackets completely if you want to take your bike to a mx track. Go to a bike shop and look at the passenger pegs and brackets on the crotchrockets. You will get an idea of what I am talking about.

No need to apologize to 2 smokes forever. Somebody obviously pee'd in his Rice Crispys this morning. Maybe he needs a thrill.:nener: :moon:

My wife and I have ridden hundreds of miles packing double on an mx bike. We have done Phelan and Snowy Trail in Gorman many times even gone from Gorman to Sespi hot springs. That is a 80 mile round trip through some of the most gnarly stuff you have ever ridden. It makes all the difference in the world to have pegs for your passenger. It also helps to have a good passenger. My wife competes on horses and has excellent balance. Sometimes I forget she's even on the back.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Really I believe that 250girl through her exploits probably rides 2 to 3 times more then the majority of us here at DRN. Add on her passenger and that becomes 4 to 6 times. I just hope you are leaving the school girl skirt at home and just riding wearing it for your videos

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
250girl's first sentence in her first post:
250girl said:
After reading it, I ASSUMED she was just "transporting" her friend. Upon reading a later post, it looks to me as if they are really "riding" together. Again, I think that's just stupid. I've seen and experienced the negative side of that... we almost died (literally.)
It is obvious to me, based on her very first statement (above) that I haven't said anything she doesn't already know... since all of her comments after that one are merely her rationalizing what she knows is "A stupid and potentially dangerous idea."
Be wise 250girl, you're caring for someone elses welfare too.

And hey........ Have a Merry Christmas

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
since all of her comments after that one are merely her rationalizing what she knows is "A stupid and potentially dangerous idea.

Rational thinking? What's that? ;)

Merry Christmas to you too, A-hole. :nener: :cool: :ride:

Top Bottom