250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
Allright, 250girl finally took her worn out 2000 RM250 apart. Here is what she found;

The piston is definitely shot. It literally has 2 grooves worn into it where the piston rings join each other. I put pictures of my piston on facebook, and my friends are all amazed that the bike was still running when I took it apart. The cylinder's nycasil ( I think that's what it's called) coating is coming off on the edge of the cylinder and needs to be redone. Add to that the problems I allready had with the bike.... leaking fork seal ( and I JUST had them redone dammnit!), tranny oil leaking out at the kickstart because that whole metal sidecover piece needs to be replaced, and I need a whole new clutch assembly, aftermarket.

I thought that if I just had to put a new top end in, and hone the cylinder I could afford to fix it.... but it needs a lot more, and is it really worth spending that much money on this bike? I can live with the shot clutch and leaking tranny oil.... I just change and top up the tranny oil every couple rides and I have my special ways of dealing with the clutch, such as not getting into stupidly tight sitations where I really need it. But here is a rough estimate as to where I am at in fixing costs.. do you think it's worth it? ;

Top end kit - $250 (depending on wether it's Wiseco or OEM)
Replate cylinder - $350-$400
Kickstart/clutch sideplate thing - $127
Fork seal- $60
Aftermarket clutch - Probably around $300 and up, depending what I want. But, I can live without it..... grudgingly.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
if you defer the maintenance, the cost will add up. Sounds like if you were to get a new bike, just down the road you will be in the same situation. I would suggest you learn to how work on/maintain/fix and repair your current scoot.

You can replate the cylinder cheaper or buy a new one for that price. You can sleeve them also and buy a piston from the company you get the cylinder done at and they will match the 2.

For the other parts, $300 for a clutch? are you serious? If you need a new clutch, you can get a Tusk brand one for under $50 from rockymountainmc.com . If you need a basket, you can get one aftermarket also.

I think your best bet is a service manual first. Second, inspect the crank! If you have that much damage on the top end, the crank is not far behind. Then fix your leaking seals on the bike also.

madmike90

Aug 3, 2007
you can get a top end kit for around $150-170 with gaskets.
if you shop around you can get the cylinder replated for around $200
as for the clutch, im not sure what the problems are with yours but you can get new plates for around $125 shipped and depending on if your bike needs a basket you can get the basket for $220 shipped.

top end kit- $130
http://www.atomicmall.com/view.php?id=252599
add $20 for gaskets

cylinder replating- $180
http://www.lukesracing.com/luksr/np.html

Clutch plates- $112
http://store.58cycle.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BARN FRC KIT RM250 97-02

Clutch Basket (if needed)- $220
http://www.oemcycle.com/Item/product/1377/PU/H192/Suzuki_RM250_96-08

its not sooooooo bad. if you like the bike i say spend the money and have fun with it.

mxman2000

Jan 19, 2008
Yeah looks like maintinance is the problem here. i have an 01 rm 250 and its been a great bike. Its had its problems but if u keep on top of it then its fine. BTW i run a Talon clucth basket and they only cost £87, Maybe even try ebay for a second hand cylinder etc. but usually u can pick up a top end kit for way cheaper than what your getting them at.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
I agree, you're prices are way too high. I dunno who you were talking to but you should be able to get lancourt or us chrome to replate AND send you the wiseco piston they matched to it for about $350.

If you recently replaced your fork seals, don't replace them again, just clean between the seal and the fork tube with 35mm film or the like. That will stop the leak assuming the seals are good (and they should be).

I'm sure you can find the leaking cover on ebay for $20-$50, If you really want to replace it.

If you're trying to talk yourself into ditching the bike for something nicer, newer, or better, then by all means don't let us try to talk you out of it. Do what's gonna make you happy in the end.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Go buy a new bike, you'll get at least a couple years of riding before it needs all that stuff too.......

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
Madmike90;
Thank you for the links, but the place that does the replating says right on the top of the page that they are not doing anymore replating until further notice.

You guys amaze me, your parts and bikes all seem so cheap down there!!! Keep in mind, I live in Canada and things are stupidly expensive up here, also I only want to ship my cylinder so far for replating. The guys at the bike shop told me that a new cylinder would cost me around $700 :yikes:

Also, I have never tried internet shopping before, too risky for me. I've always just gone through the bike shops. The prices I quoted you are all from the shops, except for the clutch... wich I think I can live without.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Fast Enterprises in Winnipeg will replate your cylinder for $300. Talk to Kelly if you want to go that route.

Also Eric Gorr may have a bolt on big bore kit sitting around ready to go for that bike, his garage sale page is down for this month to be redone, worth a phone call.

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
Thank you guys so much for your help. I may just set up a Paypal thing... because there seems to be some very good deals on Ebay. I've never tried internet shopping before..... maybe it's time I did.

Thank you for your offer Joe, but I'm not sure I can make the auction that quick, I don't have an Ebay account or anything, I'll have to get this whole Ebay thing all figured out.

I like the bolt on big bore kit idea..... that sounds great. But that would be a pretty high priced item wouldn't it? Definitely interested though....

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Get a hold of Eric at Forward Motion. He knows people at Wiseco, they have everything you need. Quality gasket sets, seals and bearings. For 10 or 15 dollars higher, stay away from the pro x. The clutch kit is killer, arguably better than Hinson. Eric will need your crank and top end. Have your shop ship it to him? You can go to a bigger bore for just a little bit more? Talk to Eric! If cleaning your fork seals is ineffective, do a better job with the next ones or the brand maybe? You can have your bike better than new for under $700 us. A little at a time, or all at once? Preventive maintenance, it usually pays off better, and helps to sell your bike. Unless you find a glutton for punishment, like myself, to buy it off you as is for 100 dollars. Vintage Bob

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
You can have your bike better than new for under $700 us.

Somehow I really doubt that. Sounds nice though. I haven't even looked at the bottom end...... that will bump the price up into the thousands, and I just don't have that kind of money.

Stay away from Pro-x ?? Hahahaha that's the piston that Dad put in his WR250..... what's wrong with them?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Pro x, Sold as cheaper/lighter racing pistons. Basic Wiseco piston, best bang for your buck. The crank, crap, it needs to be pressed apart and put back together correctly, it will cost you only more to mess this part up. Eric should be able to swing this. Did you see the prices from Wiseco, the bearing and seal kits, the stupid rod is under 100? Ask Eric to hook you up for ALL the parts? My condolences to your Dad, I have been there and done that. Its the path chosen though. Which is your bike worth more, 100 dollars now, or over 2000 fixed? Vintage Bob

Bignig604

Aug 4, 2009
i agree with the extremelly high prices in canada, but if you know your local dealer you can eventually get some pretty cheap parts. i recently got now FLY bars with acerbis handguards, a new back hub, and new bearings and rear brakes/pads, and new rings for only $350. so if your parts are as expensive as you are saying, you need to look around more, even if it means you wont be riding for a couple weeks cause you wont have all the parts together, it could easily save you $300-$400 to wait and shop around for good deals.

Top Bottom