Dinohunter

May 12, 2001
Hi, I was wondering if any of you info on the 1999 Suzuki RM250's. I am riding again after a 16yr vacation and found a 1999 RM250 in excellent condition for $2500.00 and was wondering if this year was a good bike and if it would be a competitive machine(I plan to race next season)? I have looked online and cannot find any review of this year model, and very little information. Thanks in advance!:cool:

zorlac_147

~SPONSOR~
Jan 31, 2001
I owned a 99 Rm 250 for 2 years. They have a lot of topend and no bottom end with the right pipe and gearing set up you can tame them some what. The suspension is decent. But was too soft for me on the track for trails it was good, I had to go to stiffer springs. Mechanically the bike was always good, It is a RM either you like them or you don't. they can be a little unstable at high speed, but you get used to it. Over all handling is good they handle good in the air and turn very good.

Nathan

Dinohunter

May 12, 2001
Cool, thanks for the info! Yes, I like Suzuki's power. I started on a 79 RM80. The suspension has been done on this bike so that should not be a problem, he only raced it 1moto and then broke his collarbone and bought a 4stroke! Everything on it is stock except the bars. I was gonna pipe it but it seems to have plenty of power the way it is, how much more power will a pipe give me? I only rode it about 10mins and I tried to wind it out like a 125 and it scared the $#&% outta me. This will be the 1st 250cc bike I have owned and I think $2500 is a good price. Again, thanks for the info.:)

BermBuster

Apr 17, 2001
Although I own a '00 CR250, I've always been an RM fan. I loved my '91.

If you have been stagnant for 17 years, then I be that you'll be happy with the power. Hell, it's easy to rearrange the powerband to suit your needs if you prefer low-mid, which is the easiest configuration to use.

Besides, suspension is the most useful mod, and the most expensive. Since its been reworked already, you'll be ready to go !!!

I say go for it dude !:cool:

Dinohunter

May 12, 2001
:D Thanks, I am gonna get it soon! I really like mid/top end power therefore I will probably either keep the stocker or put on a FMF. The track I will be racing/practicing on is approx 2miles long so topend power should be perfect(I hope). Thanks for all the info!

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
If you drop the forks to about 5mm in the triple clamp, it helps greatly on the stabalization. Other than that, the other suggestions on mods to help the lower end are right. Porting will help whatever powerband you like and is cheaper than a pipe and silencer. Just a suggestion
Elk

Dinohunter

May 12, 2001
I did not ride it at too high a speed(not enough road) to see if it had headshake, but the track I will be riding on I will probably never get outta 3rd gear anyway. If I lower the forks does'nt that effect turning? I need it to carve, and I hear suzuki's are good turning machines. Thanks:cool:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
If you run it around 5mm, it shouldn't make that much of a difference on the turning but a big difference on headshake. I had a problem with headshake because my forks were at 10mm! Way too high, but by putting them at 5, I still have no problem carving a turn, but then again, I'm not Windham! Put some extra weight on the outside peg on your turn and it'll help you stick. By the way, the price is pretty low for that bike, make sure it ain't hot! (Or trashed)
Elk

Dinohunter

May 12, 2001
Cool, I will try the that setting. I was concerned about the bike being trashed too. I took alook at it and it's not stolen or trashed, the guy I am buying it from has a total of 5bikes and needed to get rid of one. This one broke his collarbone so it had to go. I checked it over it is clean and runs strong. Thanks again for all your help

Top Bottom