nospeed

Jun 27, 2006
Any recommendations on a clutch for an RM85? My son has been using a stock clutch but they seem to slip easily. I moved to DP clutch with heavy duty springs. The bike hooked up great and until today I was very happy with the DP clutch. Today the DP clutch went out which was less then half the time that a stock clutch lasted. Is this normal for a DP clutch? Any other brand or suggestions? Would it be worth trying the heavy duty springs on a stock clutch?

griffbones

Sep 12, 2006
I have a DP clutch for my sons KX85 but have not yet installed it, I was waiting for the stocker to wear out first. I hope the DP clutches are ok, I have never used them before. I know that the Moose brand clutches work really well! And I have used 10% stronger clutch springs with stock friction disks before with no problems, but this wasn't in a RM85 though.

Cody305

Jan 19, 2006
Remove the clutch lever! lol jk

My kid was really hard on clutches for a while, but we cured him of his problem in about a month.

We train with Chad Johnson (Arenacross Champ) and he recommended that I put in two steel plates between the center most friction plates (instead of one).
Made the lever pull very hard for small hands, but what it taught my son is that he didn't need to hammer the clutch 4-5 times in every corner.
One month of this and he was cured!

We use the Moose Racing clutch plates and they work really good.

Side note: If you are planning on replacing your Clutch Basket with a Hinson, buy the Moose racing basket.
1. It is cheaper than Hinson.
2. It is made by Hinson! Exact same basket with the Moose logo on it.

atrayn172

Sep 9, 2006
Hey Cody305?

So how do you recommend I get my kid to even use the clutch in the corners? He doesn't have a lot of time on the bike and is still used to the 50cc automatic.

nospeed

Jun 27, 2006
atrayn172 said:
Hey Cody305?

So how do you recommend I get my kid to even use the clutch in the corners? He doesn't have a lot of time on the bike and is still used to the 50cc automatic.

My kid practiced slipping it while going straight so he could get the feel of just feathering the clutch. Once he did that he moved to using it coming out of corners.

nospeed

Jun 27, 2006
Cody 305

Thanks for the input, I will try your suggestion next time. I wanted to get the bike back on the track ASAP so I went with a stock clutch (it was in stock).

Top Bottom