ron89

Aug 23, 2007
i picked up a rm85 cheap non running the other day but he was unsure of the year. i looked and i wouldn't find any info on how to find out the year. i have the vin if any one can help. and does any one no of any good places to buy parts from other then ebay?.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
A dealer should be able to decode the VIN pretty easily. OR you cn try a Google search for Suzuki VIN and see what comes up.

Generally Service Honda (Powersports) is a GREAT place to get both OEM & aftermarket parts for you bike. MX South is another excellent source and both sponsor this site.

ron89

Aug 23, 2007
Patman said:
A dealer should be able to decode the VIN pretty easily. OR you cn try a Google search for Suzuki VIN and see what comes up.

Generally Service Honda (Powersports) is a GREAT place to get both OEM & aftermarket parts for you bike. MX South is another excellent source and both sponsor this site.

ok thanks. idk my buddy got the bike for a dealer and they were unsure but they just said it was a 02. some one dropped it off and left it there for a year so they sold it off cheap.. ill check google..
i know some ppl do that 10th letter/number and you get you year out of that..

cause mainly i need to get mny cyli bored and new piston/rings gaskets. and just tires thats about it..

ron89

Aug 23, 2007
i asked my local dealer if they could find out what year it was they said they couldnt. hmm idk.. but i searched google and they all said the 10th letter crap. and my 10th letter/number was a 7 i dont think its a 07 cause of the way it looks but it could bee?.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Sounds like you have great dealer support, be sure and avoid them at all costs! Lame crap like that is a sure sign that they have no interest in doing anything but collecting dollars.

Post the first 12 letters/numbers of the VIN you have.

ron89

Aug 23, 2007
Patman said:
Sounds like you have great dealer support, be sure and avoid them at all costs! Lame crap like that is a sure sign that they have no interest in doing anything but collecting dollars.

Post the first 12 letters/numbers of the VIN you have.

ohh yea they really don't care unless you buy some thing haha, they did have a kid workin the parts department that was very help full but idk what happened to him. i stay away from the stealer ship unless i need some oil and don't feel like orderin it off rmatv..

'LM7RD75C0770' there is the first 12

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Are you sure that is the vin number, which should be found on the frame/neck of the bike? I thought all Suzuki vin numbers start with JS (for Japan Suzuki). Maybe you are looking an at engine number instead? Check your frame, up front by the steering stem/bars/radiators.

ron89

Aug 23, 2007
nikki said:
Are you sure that is the vin number, which should be found on the frame/neck of the bike? I thought all Suzuki vin numbers start with JS (for Japan Suzuki). Maybe you are looking an at engine number instead? Check your frame, up front by the steering stem/bars/radiators.

haha i know where the vin is man i am not that much of a newbie HA HA.. yea thats what i got maybe they changed it on the newer frames?.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
If that is the actual vin than the "crap" is correct as the standard is universal and has been for some time and you got yourself an '07. If you got it on the sly then you might have something to be worried about down the road.

ron89

Aug 23, 2007
Patman said:
If that is the actual vin than the "crap" is correct as the standard is universal and has been for some time and you got yourself an '07. If you got it on the sly then you might have something to be worried about down the road.

awesome thanks man. whats sly?. i got it at a dealer cause some one dropped it off to get the top end rebuilt and left it there for over a year then they were gonna scrap it i and i bought it with a bill of sale for 200bucks..

ron89

Aug 23, 2007
if i posted up the numbers on the motor could you tell the year of the motor by that?. i just don't want to tell the machine shop the wrong year and i get the wrong piston for it. any one know if they changed any thing from 02-07 or is all the pistons pretty much the same?.

Top Bottom