RM85 swingarm grease fitting

holeshot1

Aug 16, 2001
Anyone installed a fitting in swingarm yet??? I'm not sure if it works with this type of bearing... unless you put it in the open space between bearing and seal??? any thoughts???THANKS

MikeS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
It will help but not cure the issue. More grease will squeeze out than go into the bearing.

One guy presses out bearing and carefully cut a slot into it 3mm x 8mm or so then drilled and taped the intersecting area. After putting in the grease fitting he chamfered the inside area with a dremel.

We compared notes...Our kids both ran 30+ Harescrambles/events. I replaced the bearings around June (after the slop season) and I also greased them once before June and in September after replacing them, they looked great in September. We sold the bike in late November and the owner checked them and said the grease was just getting dirty but they are still tight.

Our friend's with the grease fitting mod never had them apart but had to replace them in late september as they started to wear.

IMO I would rather take them apart and clean them then go through the hassle of drilling, cutting etc. I found most of the wear to start on the sleeves. Grease looked good but you could still see a few thousands wear on the sleevs.

Long reply but we are on our 5th and Last RM80/85 and I am a maintainence guru..

MikeS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Woops I forgot 2 things as I am prepping Juniors...

I add Orings to the Sleeves to help seal out the crud. We use a Hi Impact Grease. This grease is super sticky, thick and waterproof. Truckers use it for 5th wheel pads and spring shackles. Powerwashing a glob of the frame at 2000 psi just makes it smear.

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
NICE mike. Where did you get this grease. I always tell myself I'm going to start cleaning the bikes with brushes but it's so difficult!!

MikeS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
It is made by a company called Wurth (Sig Grease). They supply bodyshops and mechanical shops, Especially European car dealers.
I am sure any truck garage or dealer would have a similar product.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…