Masu

Dec 29, 2001
Greetings all from Japan!

I recently thew the chain from my RMX, on the highway doing about 60 MPH through a tunnel packed with cars....

I'm here in one piece to talk about it!

The bike I recently bought used, it seemed in good nick, clean and not a lot of miles on it. It is a 95 SUzuki RMX250R, it is a re-import to Japan, so it has the lights and turn signals that an "S" model would have, but it is an "R" model, oh it also has passenger pegs.

I just oiled the chain and made sure it was adjusted correctly. The chain was a "Master Link" (ML) type, with "O" rings. It seemed in good condition, the front sprocket was a 14T and the rear was a 40T. This is too tall a gear for the track I want to go to, and it also makes two chains needed when I want to put the off-road rims on the bike, as it has a grearing of 13T and 46T.

I want a set up with a "Rivet" chain, for safetys sake.

If that other chain had not exited cleanly (very slight mark on the case) and dumped on to the highway, I would be at best in a hostpital healing, and at worst, well, I don't want to think about it.

I don't need anyone telling me about how great "ML" chains are, I generally agree, and I usually do the "Dab of Silicone" trick too, this time I did not. The chain was installed correctly, I had checked, and the swingarm bearings are fine, so are the wheel bearings, and the rear sprocket is OK too. I don't know why it happened, and we could not go back into a tunnel on the expressway to find the chain.

I have my RMX set up for Super Motard, and I was just comming home from a trackday, I had fun, did ok, but it was a new track to me, very tight and twisty, no real straight to speak of, gas on, gas off brake on was the entire day, and I loved it :p

Like I said, I have a 13T front and a 46T rear for the off-road wheels, and I want to use a 110 link "Rivet" type chain, no more master links for me! I want to go with the same chain, so I think a 14T front and a 44T rear should make it possible to use the same chain.

Now what I wanted was the gearing for the RMX.

I was hoping that one of you with an owners manual for the RMX might be kind enough to give me the gearing for the bike;

Primary Drive Ratio :
1st Gear Ratio :
2nd Gear Ratio :
3rd Gear Ratio :
4th Gear Ratio :
5th Gear Ratio :

Stupid me, but the 95 RMX is a 5 speed, right? ;)

Well if you could send that info, that would be great!

Cheers!

Top Bottom