mxman2000

Jan 19, 2008
So im finally coming round to getting a 4 stroke. Since i have had a suzuki long enough im pretty sure i will go for an rmz (unless theres a very good reason not too). Im just wondering on peoples opinions on them and if i should go for the 250 or 450. Currently i ride an rm 250 (2 stroke) And its just how i like it, I have tried every other 2 stroke out there aswell as cr and kx 500s both which i find too powerful and just not fun to ride.basicly the rm just feels at home for me and i was hoping the rmz is the same.

What i like about my rm is its ligth and i can throw it about, i assume the 250 4 stroke will be the same but what about the 450? is it a lump?

Will the 250 4 stroke feel too sluggish?

And is there anything that i should be watching out with the rmz or are they a good choice? Any problems with the fuel i njected models etc.

Also , how the suspension? I rode a ktm 530 recently and compared to my rm it felt like i was riding on clouds, i couldnt even feel any bumps.
thx

DennyDenny

Aug 24, 2009
mxman2000 said:
So im finally coming round to getting a 4 stroke. Since i have had a suzuki long enough im pretty sure i will go for an rmz (unless theres a very good reason not too). Im just wondering on peoples opinions on them and if i should go for the 250 or 450. Currently i ride an rm 250 (2 stroke) And its just how i like it, I have tried every other 2 stroke out there aswell as cr and kx 500s both which i find too powerful and just not fun to ride.basicly the rm just feels at home for me and i was hoping the rmz is the same.

What i like about my rm is its ligth and i can throw it about, i assume the 250 4 stroke will be the same but what about the 450? is it a lump?

And is there anything that i should be watching out with the rmz or are they a good choice? Any problems with the fuel i njected models etc.

Also , how the suspension? I rode a ktm 530 recently and compared to my rm it felt like i was riding on clouds, i couldnt even feel any bumps.
thx

I just picked up a '07 RMZ250 that didn't sell in '07 for pretty cheap, and it's been great. When it comes to size I guess it depends on what kind of riding you do and how big you are. I'm a 145lbs trail rider, and the 450 was too big. It was really hard to manover through super tight and rough objects like big roots, rocks and fallen branches. They are also extremely hard to start when you stall it hot. :bang: There were times I just wanted to leave it in the bushes. Haha. I'm incredibly happy with the 250 though. The hot start works good on it, and it has plenty of low/mid for tight stuff, and ample over-rev for hauling a$$ when you have the opportunity. Just jet it right and pipe it. That will help sooooo much. Good luck with your thumper man.

Last edited:

cbuckalew9113

Aug 26, 2009
i have an 06 rmz250 and i love it. you can drop it and start it right back up with one kick. for ex. i was thrown from the bike at around 30 to 35mph. the bike flipped one time and skidded for about 20 ft. picked it up, kicked it once, and took my ass back home!!! haha!!! the only thing i don't like about the powerband is that there is a small gap between 2nd and 3rd. i have seen in a magazine article that a 49 tooth rear sprocket (factory is 48) will almost eliminate it. as for the suspension....it's great! i'm 5' 8" and 135lbs so i have it set pretty soft but it still has great rebound and compression even at very soft settings. i would say you can't go wrong with the rmz....just ride one and you'll see

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
mxman2000 said:

thx

I haven't ridden a rm or rmz, but I have a Yz250, and my Cousin has a CRF250R. I like my yz, the power is there when i need it, the bike is skinny, and pretty light. I love it how about that?

When my cousin got his CRF he talked all this poo about how great it was and how powerfully it would be faster than my yz yadda yadda yadda. Well it being the first 4-stroke i have ever ridden i had no idea what to expect.

First though, damn that was easier to start than i was expecting. And the torque was amazing. You could corner and stay in a higher gear and the bike would pull you threw anything. The power cure was nicer than my YZ. The bike didn't seem any heavier. But the bike felt a little smaller and the center of gravity was a little higher up, and you could tell but nothing major. I liked it A LOT. I wish it had a little more power, but i could throw the bike around and do whatever i needed to on it. Oh and another though, The seat on that CRF hurt my ass. It was really skinny. But for some reason the suspension was REALLY stiff, but i wasn't messing with his bike so i rode it like that.

You would be happy with a 250 4-stroke. It has a lot of torque and does pick up pretty quick. But i would try and find one to ride before you made the decision.

Top Bottom