mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
i heard rumors about the rmz-250's having reliabillity problems. have any of you had problems with yours?

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
i know laugheridge had 3rd and 4th crap out on him at the USO, but so far that sounds like an isolated case because no one else seems to be having problems with them. i also heard about a recall to put a larger radiator port in but no conformation on that either.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Wrong forum.
Moved.

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
yeah, i heard they were spitting coolant, i guess ill pick up a water wetter and a kx125 cap when i pick it up. did mxa say the problems stopped after they did that?

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
all i know is that 3rd a 4th was hard for him to shift to so they had to borrow one of the motoworld bikes.

Endless Mike

Oct 30, 2003
Hmm, Ive seen a YZ450 that got a burr on the shift drum and had that problem. The guy just rode the crap out of it until it fixed itself. (Not that I reccomend you doing this)

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Saw one in the local dealer today. Supposedly been there for a couple of weeks. They got the CRF250 in this week too. Boy it's sweet!

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
i just talked to paul lindsey and he said to solve the cooling problems you should:
1) buy a 1.6 (higher pressure) radiator cap (stock is 1.1). you have to get it from a Kawi dealer. 2) drill out the plastic radiator louvers for better air flow. 3) try some type of coolant additive like Water Wetter, Engine Ice or Silkolene Pro Cool.
as for the tranny it sounds like these are isolated incidents

Racer#213

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 14, 2002
sounds like the New bike is just getting nit picked at. people are just waiting to find something wrong with it, and when 2 bikes have the same flaw (the tranny), then it must be something wrong with the bike. that's what it sounds like to me at least. i think they seem to be great bikes. CAN'T WAIT TO RIDE ONE!

jsmith811

Jun 21, 2000
They are fantastic bikes, I have had mine on the trail & track.. I rode alot of 1st gear long uphills on purpose.. with zero over heating issues. I do have Engine Ice, stock rad cap. I have owned several YZF250's last was a 03 with factory connection suspension. While the motor might be a tad better on the yzf if you ride at the rev limiter, the Kawasaki fits me 100% better with low to mid range power, feels like a 125 in weight, and can pull a higher gear easier than the yzf could(more bottom end). .. I say this after the new has worn off. There all good bikes this year & will only get better... pick a color.

Top Bottom