los36

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
I had been toying with the idea of getting an 04 RM250, but I can hang onto my 02 for 1 more season!

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
I was really impressed with the looks and changes to the "04" 250, but I really like my 02. Do you feal the 02 rm 250 is still competative with the newer 450's, at your local races?

los36

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
Two weeks ago, I got 3 holeshots out of 4 motos in the 250C and +25 B/C class. There were a couple of CRF and YZFs in both classes. I have a PC pipe/silencer combo and a Boyesen Rad Valve.
I think it's still very competive, but it's always nice to have that new bike feeling and peace-of-mind.
Ultimately, I still like my 02 enough and have enough confidence that I an going to keep it through the 04 season.

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
That sounds good to me, I have V-Force 2 delta reeds, Bill's pipe and silencer and am getting the head ported and polished this winter on my 02. I am planning to race the 250C class next season at a few local tracks. I have only been riding a little over a year, but I ride almost every weekend when the weather is nice and I think racing will be fun, also I am somewhat of a competative person so this will be a good release for that as well.

Thanks for the feed back.

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
Do you feal the 02 rm 250 is still competative with the newer 450's, at your local races?
How many strokes were in the motor of the indoor/outdoor national champ the past xxxx years? :)
DOWN with the EPA :)

IMO........Couldn't help it.

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
Wow, two 2002 RM250 owners, together. My brother in-law picked up an 02 RM250 bone stock... I'm curious what you guys have done and what are the short comings. Also, what jetting/fuel type you run and what altitude. I remeber the rags saying they didn't like pump gas, but he's had it out on 91 and it hasn't complained. Gentleman?

los36

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
Out of the box, it was a little lean in the upper-middle for pump gas. raising the needle 1 position fixed that.
Stock, it's a little dead until you get into the midrange. A PC or Bills pipe makes a HUGE difference. The very bottom is still pretty dead, but it really pumps up the low-to-mid transition and opens the top-end a tad more.
The Rad Valve (and I'm sure the V-Force) greatly improves the responsiveness...RMs always rev extremely fast in neutral but with the reed valve, it carries that quick revving onto the track.
I don't think that the jetting is a bad as some have said. I do tweak the air screw every time I ride. If the temps are really cold in the morning and then warm up, I will move the needle up and down 1 position.
Right now, for fair weather (65*-85*, 1500' asl) I'm at 45 pilot, the clip is in the 2nd groove from the top(stock needle) and I have a 162 main (I could probably go to a 160, but...).
For MX, the suspension does need some work. It's actually really good on everything except on landings. It bottoms out pretty hard.
Oh yeah...get some steel clutch plates and 2003 KX250 fibers when it's time for a new clutch.
Enough info for you?

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
I bought mine used and it came with the V-Force, so I don't know how it ran totally stock, but mine was also low power on the bottom with a big middle hit that was almost uncontrollable and would rev high fast. The pipe and silencer actually made a nice change, gave it more bottom and less middle, I don't know if it really gave it any more power just more usable power. I have put heavier fork and shock springs in it and that helped the bottoming alot but it still bottoms out on flat landings. I run mine on 93 octane pump gas and mix 32:1 Mobil MX2T, with no problems.

Thanks for the clutch plates tip, I hope I remember that.

zorlac_147

~SPONSOR~
Jan 31, 2001
I had the pro circuit shorty combo on my 02 RM 250 with a V-Force, I later tried out the FMF SST it gave it much more topend than the other setup but it lost a little lowend. With proper jetting and setup the 02 is a very potent track machine. I am very curious about the 04 as well if any one has one that could share what they think that would be very good. I am especially interested in the stock suspention which is now Showa again and looks like stiffer springs that the 02.

Top Bottom