BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
I'm a two stroke guy but I can read.

A friend bought a used 2006 RMZ450 that has some cam chain slap noise. I read the adjustment procedure in his service manual and did what it says.

"Set top dead center compression stroke, loosen the adjuster lock nut and bolt turn engine over two rotations then tighten"

:bang: The problem is when I turned it over, yes I turned it the direction that the illustration indicated, the cam chain skipped a couple teeth on the intake cam sprocket. So I fixed all that and started again. It was clear that the chain was climbing up on the sprocket again so I stopped.

How do you guys with RMZ450 experience adjust your cam chain tension? :bang:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Sounds like it needs a new camchain. The camchain shouldn't climb the sprocket enough to skip even with the chain adjuster removed. Also make sure the camchain sliders are in good condition.

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
I was thinking the same but the teeth look good. The sliders have no wear. The original owner said that he never adjusted anything and the bike has very low time...

What I did was set the crank on top dead center and loosened the adjuster, you could see the chain snug up. Then I tightened the adjuster and rotated the engine two revs and loosened the screw again, a bit more slack came out. Once more I tightened the screw then the lock nut and called it a day. Things are quiet now but I figured there has to be a better more consistent way?

mkelly04

Jul 27, 2007
BigRedAF said:
http://www.transworldmotocross.com/mx/how_to/article/0,13190,1110617,00.html

This is a link that I found that covers my question. If anyone ever runs across this topic this step by step will cover it.

The Suzuki shop manual says to turn the engine over two revolutions after you loosening the adjuster, BAD MOVE! That will cause the chain to skip.

Like others have said.... The fact that the chain skipped means there is a problem. Check the manual for cam chain specs and measure to see if it is out of spec.

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
BigRedAF said:
http://www.transworldmotocross.com/mx/how_to/article/0,13190,1110617,00.html

This is a link that I found that covers my question. If anyone ever runs across this topic this step by step will cover it.

The Suzuki shop manual says to turn the engine over two revolutions after you loosening the adjuster, BAD MOVE! That will cause the chain to skip.

The Transworld link is a good reference point to use. The 05 & 06 manual both contained bad information on how to adjust the cam chain. Suzuki sent a updated correction mid 2006 for both the 05 & 06 model years. DO NOT TURN ENGINE OVER AFTER LOOSENING THE ADJUSTER AS THE MANUAL STATES!

Remove the TDC plug & crankshaft hole plug. Put the motor at TDC compression stroke with a counter clock-wise rotation. Check the position of the cam-shaft. The cam lobes will be facing away from each other. This is the same position you check the valves in. Loosen the luck nut. Back the stopper bolt off. Then tighten the stopper bolt back down. Tighten locking nut down. Your done! :)

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
Sawblade your the man!!!!

I needed you a couple of days ago. I did what you said on my own after a couple of beers and a few choice words. After the dam chain jumped a few teeth I had to remove the intake cam, reposition the chain on the exhaust cam and start over.

I ended up just letting the adjuster take up the slack in the TDC compression stroke position. After the slack was gone I tightened it down and did the two rotations per the service manual and loosened it again just to make sure the slack was gone, it was. Everything is fine at this time but that F#@king manual sucks.

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
I've always just done the one adjustment and the slack is gone. I adjust the cam chain about every 12 hours. Its not that bad once you do it a few times. I also check my valve clearance since everything is open. Takes me about 45 minutes from start to finish.

Your lucky you figured it out. I've see others on another site that didn't with bad results.

The manual does suck big time. Its not clear and full of crap information. Glad you figured it out. :nod:

Top Bottom