slickpuss

Sponsoring Member
Jan 19, 2002
About a month ago, a guy came into my lane and hit me head on. My bike is totalled and Im laid up with luckily just some bumps bruises and a messed up lower back. I dont remember the wreck but some witnesses told me that I landed on the curb on my back. Which would make sense from the swelling. But what I really want to know is what is taking so long. The police have taken the max amount of time to write the report. The insurance people are slow to do anything. And dealing with the medical group is a pain. Has anyone delt with this type of accident and know what Im up against? Should I handle it myself, or get a lawyer? Am I going to get to ride my dirtbike this year?

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
consider yourself lucky (somewhat). when i was a kid, i was involved in a hit and run motorcycle accident. there were a couple witnesses but neither bothered to get the tag number of the car. i broke my leg and my back.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
You were probably hit by an ifluential politician. It's taking a long time to come up with a way to make it look like your fault.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
I was involved in an accident on my street bike about a month ago. I guy came right into my right side. All I got was a sprained knee, and two small scratches on the bike. He took off, and not a single person that was there got a plate number, vehicle make/model. Nothing...I called the cops that day, and talked to the insurance company the next day. Everything was taken care of right away. Luckily I wasn't hurt any worse, and my bike is ok.
A friend from work is still having problems with the inusurance companies, and this is 10 years later. Her husband was hit from behind and he flew 30ft, rolled into a ditch. He is now paralyzed from the chest down. All that lady got was a ticket for not yielding to the right of way. Her insurance did have to pay for everything. But now he is having complications from it, and the insurance company says they dont' have to pay it. Because it happened so long ago...she said when it happened it was taken care of right away, but now nothing...

490Dave

Mar 18, 2003
Hang in there Slick! it usually takes longer to settle these things especially when there is an injury involved. If it's just the bike that was hurt insurance can move pretty quickly. As far as the injuries go, dont force it, Take your time and make a good recovery before you jump back on the DB.

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Call the cops and ask for the report, talk to the cop thats doing it, dont be mean or rude, just stay on them, every day. Call all your local bike shops, and tell them to give you the RESALE value for your bike. Thats what they would sell it off thier floor used for, NOT blue book wich is what the ins co will try to pay on a totaled bike. Call YOUR ins co and see if they will work with you to get you paid, some will even though its on the other driver. Call some lawyers, they love this injury stuff and they will eat the offender up in cort and will often work without a retainer if you have a case and it sounds like you do.
Your injuries will take time to heal. Back injuries are very hard to recover from. The better shape you were in when it was hurt the quicker and fuller you will recover becuase your muscels will tend to hold the back in the correct posistions. Talk to your docs and tell them you want to ride and look into supports and or braces for the part of your back thats tweeked, the ins should even cover some of that gear. Im not one for squeezing Ins compines for gross amounts, but when some one head ons a motorcycle, you gotta make em pay and get you back up to speed.
I went down hard about 9 years ago, open fracture of my scapulea and collapsed lung among other minor injuries and totaled the only new vehicle I ever owned 6 monts after I bought it :( . I tried to blame the guard rail but they said it was my fault :) . Im 100% now but it took a good 4 to 5 years to get full lung capacity and full strength and range of motion from my arm with no discomfort. I was only 20 too so that helped me recover fast being young.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I hate to say this, but get a lawyer.  A good one.   And don't sign anything from your insurance company without checking with your lawyer first.

It's a sad state of affairs when you need a lawyer to get people and companies to do what's right.  But that's what our system has come to in CA. 

Let the lawyer worry about the BS and the insurance companies while you worry about getting better. 

Be patient and good luck!

stangale

Dec 19, 2000
Get a an excellent Chiropractor and a lawyer.
You shouldn't deal with insurance companies directly. They have an inherent conflict of interest with YOUR interest. That's what an attorney is for.
Find an excellent Chiropractor who really has experience in these types of cases. Othopedists / Physical Therapists aren't trained to realign your spine so that it heals right. If it's not realigned correctly, your nerves will be irritated and your body can't function or feel right.
You took a major hit. Don't wait and let it heal crooked - you don't get to buy a new one - (like your bike!).
Best,
Stan Gale
YZ250F
R1

jsirvine

Mar 20, 2002
Get a lawyer for sure. It may take a year to get a final settlement, longer if your injuries persist but a lawyer will do a lot of work for you. Start keeping a diary related to injuries, etc.

Neil Wig

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 22, 2000
If you have software like MS Outlook, keep notes in the form of emails to yourself. They end up in your server log, and would likely be admissible evidence. The notes would also be searchable.

Just a thought.

Top Bottom