shawn sharp

May 14, 2001
Alright, I want to read some race stories from the Rockford event. I was on row 70 and had an absolute blast for my second enduro - no crashes just a believe-it-or-not 180 off an angled log on an uphill. I am starting to ride better. I want to thank Zack (and crew) for the tremendous hospitality when I died the last mile of the race (and for that candy bar) on that rock hill. What have I learned? That everything at my level is - FORWARD MOMENTUM, and the need to do lots more push-ups. I also learned that there are still some very nice people in this world, which I myself could learn from. Zack if you are there, I hope your knee heals up fast. God Bless!

Lemming

Looking for single women!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 19, 2000
Well it was an absolutely perfect day to ride, but I had anything but a perfect ride. No crashes, but I rode "nervous" all day. The front end seemed twitchy and didn't want to stick to the trail. Between the big roots, rocks and loose soil, it seemed that I was trail riding instead of racing. Even with that I did have a good time and will be back for this one next year. I still managed to 2nd in my class which I have to admit surprised me :scream:

CNM

Sponsoring Member
Dec 28, 1999
Shawn,

I'll pass along the message to Zack. I was riding with Zack and John (on the KDX). Yes, I was the really pathetically slow one on the XR200.

John and I were on row 79 which ended up being the last row. The course was really rough and beat up by then. The race didn't start very good for me. Right off the start line, stuck throttle. Good thing I wasn't going that fast. I was able to make the turn (that XR needs better brakes) and then it stuck again. I ended up going off in some brush before I got it stopped. I messed with the throttle some and it finally seemed to be OK. I took it easy to the first reset and ended up dropping 9 in the first section.

All in all, that was the roughest, most gnarly race I think I've ever been to. By the time I came through, those rocks were HUGE!!! I was tired at the gas already. Zack decided to ride with us from the gas. They talked me into starting the second loop and just riding to the next reset (6 miles). When we made it to the next check, they talked me into not quitting. It was a little more difficult to convince me this time.;)

They stuck with me the whole 2nd loop and managed to coax me to the finish. 50 miles of hell total for the day! The bad thing was we were so late by the end (houred out and then some) they had already pulled the last few checks. Officially its a DNF but I know I finished (no short course cut off either). Thanks Zack and John.....I owe you one!:cool:

shawn sharp

May 14, 2001
CNM,

Congrats on your finish!!! I gather there were quite a few who didn't. I saw bikes being loaded up at the gas stop. I saw one guy on a gas gas crash like five times in twenty minutes --- he was ok every time I came up on him then he would just take off and crash again --- I bet he's real sore. I hope to see you all at future races and thanks again for stopping. At the time I couldn't decide if I wanted to pass out, take a nap, or just puke --- Zack definitely is an encourager.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
well, that was a fun enduro, & what a perfect day for a ride! no big stories here; only 1 crash on 1 of those really slick wooden bridges. i was on row 25. i bet the course was pretty chewed up by the time row 70 got there, esp. the 1 mudhole i got hung up in for a minute or so. thanks to the club members for all their hard work.

Top Bottom