Rod problem ?

YZ250Anthony

Jun 21, 2006
today i opened the top end on my 95 yz250 and removed the cylinder (cylinder is fine) and took the piston off and i moved the rod around and noticed the rod moved around a little bit to the side( side to side ) but not alot, just a tiny bit, but it didnt move around enough to hit anything, is that normal ,should i be worried or should i just install the new piston kit which it needs and not worry about it, any one got suggestions or ideas, thanks :uh:

cr carl

Dec 11, 2005
mine does that on my cr but i think it is pretty normal.i would say mine moves maybe 1mm side to side.you could always measure it and look in your manual if you have 1.in fact i actually thought the same thing???

cr carl

Dec 11, 2005
yeah 1 mm i think that is ok their has always been a bit of play in it on all my bikes as long it is to the side your ok mate!!

steve.emma

Oct 21, 2002
all bikes need some side to side play in the rod otherwise they would seize! its the amount of play thats the key, measureing the rod bearing clearance between the thrust washer and rod is a good way to determine the amount of wear in the lower end without disassembly. for example my clymer manual states 0.25-0.27mm for a 90' yz250. what you really dont want is for there to be up/down play (worn bearings). if you check the rod side clearance ands its excessive then you will need to look at a crank rebuild etc..

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…