weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
Had an interesting experience today. I was riding my VOR at the local track and started doing laps with a fellow on a YZ. Well I was able to get by with no problem.. on the inside of the corners. We were similar in size and skill. So what?

Figured it was just another day. I was riding with my friend who now has a VOR 503 Enduro. So after the last pass I pulled over to watch and chat with Brad, the guy with the OTHER VOR 503. After a few minutes the fellow with the Yamaha came over. Wanted to chat about the bikes. And offered to let me ride his new Yamaha. I resisted..he pushed and then I accepted.

What I found was a nice bike. Snappy power. Nice ergo's. etc. But I couldn't push the corners with it as hard as I can with my VOR. I actually bottomed the forks in the corners. Really soft setup. Realise I weigh 230 lbs and I'm a reasonable rider. Not really all that fast. So I suggested the guy add stiffer springs and just generally stiffen up the forks and shock..cause he was having troubles as well with the stock setup.

Then we talked him into riding Brads VOR 503 Enduro. If you ever have seen a shocker this was it...the guy just flat ripped. No way I could even get close to him. The bike just fit. And the power just fit his style. Incredible difference.

He then tried mine. He couldn't make it work like Brads, he thought mine had way too harsh a suspension and wasn't as snappy off the bottom (It isn't..but it makes more power on top) ...So where is all this going?

1) After this I just can't believe what I read in the magazines any more.

2) VOR's work really well for bigger guys...not as well for shorter and lighter ones.

3) These three bike were setup different and you could just see how the different guys fit the different bikes. Brad would probably be better off on the Yamaha. Marcus was RADICALLY faster on the VOR Enduro than he was on his bike and my VOR V-Cross. He came back thinking My VOR was way too harsh, his YZ was way to soft and the Enduro VOR was just right. He also was stunned with the power of the Enduro. I couldn't ride that YZ. Way soft, wobbled all over for me..a setup issue. The Enduro was way soft for me as well, but not like the YZ. I was fastest on my VOR which was way too stiff for the other guys.

4) VOR's turn just fine...

I wouldn't trade my VOR for that Yamaha for anything. Brad might trade his... Marcus would drop his YZ for a VOR in a heart beat..it works for him.

Guess as with all things, different strokes for different folks. All were nice bikes but some fit better than others.

Buy the way Marcus was winning his class in the Hare Scrambles (Check the VDR website)....he is scary fast on that VOR Enduro..

------------------
2001 VOR503 V-Cross
1982 husqvarna XC430
1974 Bultaco Frontera 360
6 Kids, Four Ride, 3 race. (cr125, yz80, 2 KX125's)
Case 780, INT 1066, Ford LTL9000...and a Percheron

MartyQ

Mar 4, 2001
Hey Weimedog, I took my wr to berthoud yesterday, it was a blast, wish i would have known you were going today I would have made a trip up there. When do you plan on going again? Maybe Ill meet you up there.

Marty

Ramski

Feb 6, 2001
That really shows how important it is to try and ride the bike you want before you make that purchase. Just wish I could find someone with a 01 Husky 570 or Husaberg in my area.

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
Why not a Yamaha or a VOR? Brad at Fun wheels attends every one of those Rocky Mountain Enduro's. He more than happy to let folks ride his VOR 503 Enduro. Its a demo bike.

------------------
2001 VOR503 V-Cross
1982 husqvarna XC430

Ramski

Feb 6, 2001
Well, I've kinda wanted a Husky because I've always liked them. One of my brothers is good friends with a dealer that carries VOR and actually both of my brothers got to ride it. One brother who still rides his 83 500XC Husky said the VOR was THE most powerful bike he has ever rode. The other loved it, but can't part with his super modified XR400. Like I said, I need to ride some of these bikes before I decide.

Max Factor

Sponsoring Member
Oct 18, 2000
IMO the Husky's are fantastic bikes. I've had a '94 & '98 TC 610, my brother a '96. I was surprised to find that they are virtually non-existant in the U.S.
The older models whilst are an absolute blast, were definitely a little old in ergo's, weight and handling. From what I've read about the leaps and bounds changes in the '01 model, I can't wait to get back to Australia and buy a new one again.

forloop

Feb 12, 2001
I think you have just proved that suspension is everything.

I have had my 01 426 for a month now. Yesterday I got my new springs .48 and 5.6. I am 225 lbs. In stock from the YZ is way to soft for me. Now with the new springs it's fine.

IMHO, get what you like, set it up to fit you and go have a blast.

------------------
Rick
01 YZ426 #85 Vet C

380ePete

Dec 27, 2000
This is just the kind of post I needed to read today. I was out at my KTM,VOR,Husky, and Husaberg dealer today looking at four strokes. I have no idea which bike would suit me best. I am 6'4" 230 lbs.

I think I will go back and inquire if they have a day set sometime in the future where they will let me take some of these bikes for a spin. I have heard they do this when they get the new model years in. I refuse to drop a wad of cash on a bike that I don't even know I will like.

------------------
"The trail less traveled has more to offer than the beaten path "

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
Its great to hear opinions from people whao have actually had the chance to ride these new bikes. Funny thing is, Dirt Rider actually said the VOR was soft compared to the Yamaha's. I guess thats just good ol' DR plugging the blues again!

------------------
2001 WR426F
"The measure of a man is what he does with power."

[This message has been edited by wayneo426 (edited 03-26-2001).]

[This message has been edited by wayneo426 (edited 03-26-2001).]

Blue Thunder

~SPONSOR~
Dec 20, 2000
Amen *william*, the mags are full of crap!! They would have you think it was a Cardinal Sin to purchase a YZ426 to ride the woods with!! I bought the 01' and love it, changed the CS sprocket to a 13, done! Get out and ride someone's bike if you really want to know how it suits you, or listen to what real riders say in forums all over the net.

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
I talked to my local dealer today...he's more than happy to let those in the middle of choosing a bike a demo test ride. A friend of mine who's kid got a new YZF426 had the same opinion as I did. Brad, the guy who owns the local VOR dealer is more than happy to let this freind of mine try a VOR. Bet most dealers would no matter what they sell.

By the way..so far neither Brad or I have had ANY problems of any kind with our VOR's. Brad has two Enduro's on his plus practice. I also found that the Jetting is pretty non- critical. Don't even need the choke to start it. Runs fine from 2300 ft altitude to 7,000 ft and from 20 degrees to 75 degrees...pretty flexible.

------------------
2001 VOR503 V-Cross
1982 husqvarna XC430

[This message has been edited by weimedog (edited 04-03-2001).]

Top Bottom