KC10Chief

Oct 10, 2004
I THOUGHT that I was fast on my dirtbike. I bought my first bike last month. It's an 01 KX250. I've rode it about 7 or 8 times so far. I've got the hang of it pretty good.

Today I went out to a local trail I have never ridden before for a hare scramble type race. It was 2 hours long with 5.5 mile technical laps. I rode in the sportsman class with three other riders. There were about 30 other riders as well in other classes. It was pretty cold and breezy this morning when I showed up at 8am. I was going to try and get a lap in but the cold was slowing me down so I decided to wait and save it for the race.

We did a lemans style dead engine start where we had to run about 50 feet to our bikes. Out of the four of us, I was the third one out of the start area. Right away, all four of us missed the first turn. We turned around and they were gone. I never saw them again except for when the lead rider lapped me on my last lap. I didn't pass anybody.

All of the kids caught me on my first lap. I got passed by this kid who immediately slammed this stump after passing me. He flipped over the bars and couldn't pick his bike up. I helped him out and he was crying. I thought he was hurt but he told me he was upset because he was the slowest kid out there. He was about 7 or 8 years old. He then proceeded to leave me behind in a cloud of roost. I never saw him again either. I wasn't feeling too confident in my skills after that.

Before I was even done with my first lap, I started getting passed by the expert riders who were finishing their second lap. I don't see how those guys can ride that fast. I doubt I will ever be that fast. I'm 26 and just starting out and these guys have youth experience under their belt I'd imagine. I would be riding along and look behind me where I could see for 5 or 600 feet and nobody was there. Then a few seconds later, somebody would come blasting around me throwing roost everywhere. Before I could figure out what the hell just happened, they would be gone. Amazing!

I finished my fifth lap just after the two hour mark so I was done. Only one other rider in my class did six. Even though I got my butt kicked all over the place even by the little kids, I still had an absolute blast. Everybidy I met was very friendly and willing to help out and offer advice. I think I had a smile on my face for two hours. I wasn't worn out afterwards like some people say, but that may be because I am so slow. I rode the entire time except when I stopped for about 30 seconds for gas. I did however have one fierce case of swamp ass.

On the way home, I got pulled over by the sheriff. I was doing about 15 over. He liked the set of plastic testicles hanging off the rear fender of my bike. He gave me a warning. Maybe it was the nuts?

I decided I hadn't had enough so I went out and rode my local trail for a few more hours. NOW I am sore. My forearms are sore and my legs are definately sore. Anyways, I had a great time and am looking forward to getting my butt kicked again in a few weeks at the next race! Matt

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Nice ride report. Sounds like my first hare scramble. Hang in there and have fun!

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
If there ever was a purpose for dangling "manhood" from your machine, getting you out of a ticket sounds good.

Congrats on your first race. Sounds like a blast.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Yeah, racing is the best way to learn how far you have to go to be as fast as you "think" you are.

XR3J

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 7, 2001
Sounds like you had a good time.To me that is the most important part, because i am slow also! Keep after it! :cool:
Jerry

KC10Chief

Oct 10, 2004
What is Monkey Butt? I'm guessing it's the same thing as swamp ass. If it is, disreguard that question. One thing that irritates me about riding my dirtbike is the constant wedgie I have while riding. My underwear or boxers or whatever I'm wearing underneath manage to get all twisted up. Now that you have a good visual, do you have any suggestions? Matt

taraker

Freedom Ain't Free
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Congrats on your first race. :cool:

At my first race I wrecked 5 five times within the first mile and was drug off the track by a official, as I was crawling on all fours puking my guts outs and who told me I looked like I was all done for the day. That's all the reason I needed so I finished, two miles my first race!!!! I think I was on my fifth x-country before I actually finished on the same lap as my class. :yeehaw:

Here is my start from the weekend, #C111Click Here for TORO Race

L

LukeRips

I think just about everybody has a first race story just like that one. Race after race, you'll see constant improvement. Nothing is more exciting than seeing improvement at racing. My first Hare Scramble was a complete mess. I completed one lap and it took me an hour. I THOUGHT I was fast because I had been racing MX for a few years. I knew nothing about setting up a bike for off-road or how to prepare. Now it's kind of a different story but you really appreciate the effort it takes to get to the podium as well as a respect for new riders. You may not realize it at the time but as they're lapping you, those Experts really respect your effort because they were there once too.

Whatever you do, race and race again!

Luke :aj:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom