Rode my new KX 500 today! Fun as hell!

mattb348

Aug 2, 2005
I finnaly got to pick up the 2002 KX 500 I bought today. It is basically brand new; only 5 rides on it. Hell, it doesn't even look like anyone even dumped the damn thing. Back & front tire still look like brand new, but are the original OEM tires.

Took it for a ride today and friggin loved it! Kicks over extremely hard but I got it started in like 2 or 3 kicks. Then I got it going again when it was stone cold in 2 kicks, and that was wearing nike air's :P

The thing sounds like a giant version of my KX 250 LOL! it has a PC pipe & PC factory sound 304 silencer.

As far as power, it has ALOT, but not quite as much as expected, based on what I have heard about the 500's. It definitely had alot more power than my KX 250, but it didn't have TWICE as much as it.

Wheelies in all 5 gears, and thats just on dirt, so I'm pretty damn happy. Also, it hauls some serious ass; I really think that KX 500's actually DO go 100 MPH :)

I heard that 500's handle god awful, but I really didn't think that it handled bad at all; it just seemed like a more powerful version of my KX 250. Of course, I haven't tried jumping it yet though.

Bottom line: I'm damn happy with it. Man that thing sounds mean, and it goes like a bat out of hell. Starts pretty easily, and runs DAMN good.

I'll prolly never ride my 250 again for the most part now lol. Luckily I have a friend that wants to ride it though. I wouldn't want it to collect dust since its pretty much brand new like the 500 lol!

rob129

Jun 27, 2004
Yepper, 500's are a lot of fun! Dont be decieved, its faster than you think...compared with a 250. The cool factor is the amount of torque. Idle up a hill while others are chainsawing their way up. BTW, congrats on your buy. :cool:

COLEMANAPP

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2002
My cousin rides one in the woods and loves it. When following him, the rocks don't come off the rear tire at ya, seems like they come falling out of the treetops.

mattb348

Aug 2, 2005
rob129 said:
Yepper, 500's are a lot of fun! Dont be decieved, its faster than you think...compared with a 250. The cool factor is the amount of torque. Idle up a hill while others are chainsawing their way up. BTW, congrats on your buy. :cool:

LOL yea it probably WOULD drive up hills whle idling. I never thought to try that :)

spiracing

Feb 24, 2005
It dosnt seem faster cause your blowing the tire away! I laced a 18" rim on mine and went with a 140 Tera-Flex. Now it HOOKS! The knobs are 1-1/4 tall. Welcome to the club.

mattb348

Aug 2, 2005
spiracing said:
It dosnt seem faster cause your blowing the tire away! I laced a 18" rim on mine and went with a 140 Tera-Flex. Now it HOOKS! The knobs are 1-1/4 tall. Welcome to the club.

Heh I noticed that it "hooks" pretty damn good on hard packed dirt :) And thats with the stock tire and rim lol.

Thing rides some awesome wheelies, thats for sure.

mattb348

Aug 2, 2005
Daisycutter said:
Betcha it's easier to ride then ya thought.

Yea, it is actually.

The funny part is that I think its actually easier to ride than my KX 250 right now since it has a perfect back tire, and the back tire on my 250 is bald as hell. Its like riding on ice with that damn tire the way it is.

I have a new tire for the 250, just gotta put it on :)

Top Bottom