fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
Trying to get the wheel spacer,seal out of rear wheel. Pry and pound with screwdriver? Bolt rod inside swingarm to bell linkage stuck. Again, do I pound out with socket extension? Does anyone know the torques to the 17mm, 19mm nuts on linkage, use locktite? No wonder I put off these jobs, thanks in advance.
'95 300exc

rollingp

Oct 31, 2001
When you put your bike back together apply anti sieze to the swing arm shft.
This should be done on axle shafts also. This will end the tight shaft syndrone.
It is not a good idea to drive in the new wheel bearings on the KTM hubs.
Better to use a threaded rod. Run it all the way through placing a large washer and nut on one end and using a socket as a press head on the side you are putting the bearing in. Better to make up this press because I have seen the hubs form hair line fractures from pounding in wheel bearings.
These fractures end up getting worse and eventually the hub breaks.
Same type of press works good on the heim joint for the shock.

OrangeCrush

Feb 25, 2002
Confused as Usual

I'm lost as to what is stuck?? " Bolt rod inside swingarm to bell linkage stuck Again." Does this mean he can't slide his axle out to get the rear wheel off? I need to know so I can go take mine apart and lube it properly.... I just got a 2001 300 EXC and any initial things I should do would be helpful. Any history as to these bikes needing the steering head bearings lubed from the get go??

Thanks, R.R.:cool:

fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
Clarifying, 2 different stuck items: wheel spacers on wheel(axle comes out fine), and bolt inside swingarm closest rear wheel. Newer pumpkins don't have this linkage. Haven't attempted main swingarm bolt yet, assuming more fun there. The steering head was a piece of cake to lube, and looked great.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
for the guy with the new 1: put anti-seize paste on the chain adjuster bolts & fork pinch bolts. put loc-tite on the shock bolts & sprocket bolts. check the sprocket bolts frequently, esp. at 1st. enjoy!

fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
So back to the swingarm and Linkage. I removed swingarm and L shaped link from swingarm, internal tubes seem to be frozen or stuck in place. Is there a easy layman way to remove these bearings? I take it needle bearings also need to be replaced?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I noted in the thread you found some were debating the packing the bearing full thing. I can tell you that you should never fill a bearing housing of any kind more than 60-70% full of grease in any situation, high rpm's or not.

fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
Ok, part of the mystery is solved. I was able to knock out the endcaps, bearing sleeves on parts. Now it's just a matter of cleaning the bearings and re-greasing inside linkage. It sucks doing things the first time.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom