Rookie Rider, few questions for the experienced

redramhemi

Jan 27, 2004
Hi, everyone, I am in the process of fixing up my first dirt bike, a 99 kdx 200. I am really excited to get out and ride (damn winters here in mn). I ordered a FMF gnarly woods pipe and turbine coreII silencer,what exactly can I expect from this? I have read great reviews, and am just curious as to your experiences first hand. I also plan on putting in a v force reed. will the jetting change aside from the new pipe jetting specs with this? Also I plan on doing the airbox mod as well.
Also I plan on maybe getting new tires, any recomendations? I picked up the bike on an offer I even thought was way too low, I was joking when I made it. $1000!! So I have about $600-$700 Im willing to put into it aside from riding gear which I may buy used from a friend.I am also considering Graphics kits, so that will eat some cash. How are these bikes on maintenance? I am a mechanic, so I can do all the work, just wondering what kind of maintenance schedule these bikes require. Any imput will be greatly appreciated! :thumb:

nectar

Sep 11, 2002
Congrats on the bike and I hope you don't have to much to fix-up. I would recommend you get the factory manual which will give you everything you need. Then go over the basics like tires...I use Kenda Unadilla...I think they work really good, plus they are cheaper than the bigger named brands....check the linkage, esp. lower shock bearing....I got a 220, w/ rad valve but the set-up you're going to have should be good...and get shock/forks revalve, frp did mine....good luck with it.

redramhemi

Jan 27, 2004
nectar said:
Congrats on the bike and I hope you don't have to much to fix-up. I would recommend you get the factory manual which will give you everything you need. Then go over the basics like tires...I use Kenda Unadilla...I think they work really good, plus they are cheaper than the bigger named brands....check the linkage, esp. lower shock bearing....I got a 220, w/ rad valve but the set-up you're going to have should be good...and get shock/forks revalve, frp did mine....good luck with it.
Thanks. bike is almost mint condition, neighbor just never rode it. I will be picking up a service manual soon, I need to get it running first. (3-4 y.o. gas in it.) I just ordered gear, moose chest protector and Shift clothing. all I need is a gear bag and boots ANYONE LIVE IN MN BY CHANCE?

redramhemi

Jan 27, 2004
P.S. I actually got the bike running on this gas last year, put about 5 miles on it. I plan on tearing it down somewhat and cleaning carb, do the jetting changes, install new pipe and silencer, and just getting to know the nuts and bolts of it :thumb:

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
and get shock/forks revalve, frp did mine....good luck with it
Imparative....IMO to be done over power mods. The stock KDX suspension (mainly forks) is pretty crappy. Nothing wrong with it, just sprung and valved wrong. The stock suspenders can't keep up with the stock motor so this is why I make this statement. Do the susp first and you can flog that bike through the woods w/ the stocker....

redramhemi

Jan 27, 2004
as far as suspension, any leads on part manufacturers? Also, how much do shops usually charge to to this? Im not looking to clear triples, and Im pretty big. 6-7 300lbs. Ive ridden streetbikes,snowmobiles, fourwheelers (actally tried to moto a polaris magnum four wheeler on a buddies track, I ended up wearing the machine as a hat. It was pretty entertaining though) I figured it was time to get a dirtbike.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Check CDave's site...linked at the top of this forum in the 'every kdx rider should..' thread.

Check out 'new bike prep.'

('check out' means 'do it')

Top Bottom