Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Well a grand time was had by everyone that endured my inability to manage my 400 on rocks the size of bowling balls all covered with wet leaves while situated on a 20 degree side slope.

Seriously, it was WET!!! According to the ranger on-site, we got 2 inchs of rain Friday evening. It started about 9:00 PM and continued unabated until about 6:00 AM on Saturday. Although the trailer was dry (except for one drip above Gene) it sounded like we were sleeping in a beer can that was being pummelled with gravel.

We headed out Saturday morning with the intent of making it to Muse for lunch. Three hours, maybe 5 miles and many soaked boots later we found ourselves looking for a quick exit from our self created mess. All the streams were up, which made for a few detours and one attempt at becoming a submarine.

I will let less guilty parties other than myself pass on their observations, but sufice it to say, we all agree it was WET!!

GhostRider32

Feb 10, 2004
Tony was right on, everyone had fun and Harley got a workout. Best of all, no one was seriousley injured. I.E. - no broken bones, ect...... If Harley hadn't been there, both Tony and I would have had some serious issues with the terrain. For those of you that don't know, I recently did a partial tear on my right MCL and a couple of times I couldn't pull my own weight due to the terrain, but the rest of the guys pitched in and helped me through it. Thanks guys. I hope I never have to return the favor, (I don't want to see you get hurt), but anytime you need help, look for me.

Thanks JMD for letting me borrow the braces, they helped a lot.

It was very wet and slippery but those wern't raindrops hitting Tony's trailer. I really was out there pinging his trailer with pebbles, all night. :laugh: :yeehaw:

Gene cooked some great chicken on the open fire Friday night before the rain came and I learned a new recipe. Gene also happened to be our GPS guy and he did a great job at it.

Everyone was fun to be around and I learned that I'm gonna have to cheat if I gonna keep up with the likes of Keeto and some of the others. Humm.......I have no idea how your gas valve got cut off???????????? ;)

Anyway, I had a great time and am ready to do it again.

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
all of the statements above are accurate and well placed.

Tony and I arrived late friday afternoon and as far as I could tell we were bringing sunshine and happiness with us. no sooner than we get stuff set up the bad karma starts. I go to start some yardbird and the regulator adaptor to the grill breaks. ok. ill just cook da bird on open fire. that goes ok. we sit around with our new best friends kieth and harley make this little trip a dual forum event. they are from allthingsmoto. both are a hoot...........without any alcohol and laughing so hard i cant see with the brain inhibitor. anyway, it gets later and ghost rider32 looks pulls up and is kind of unsure if he really wants to hang out with us :laugh: . we eat bird and zebra cakes.........they are kind of like indian tacos............but then again that is another story. we have beers, it clouds up but wait, more folks show up. its dwreck representing the HS spodes and he brings a jeff with him. even later, JMD from the NTSP shows up. he is the large man in a van down by the river, but this time it isnt the red river ie muenster. its late, i put in earplugs, and crawl into my sleeping bag. i never heard the gravel.

sat am is cold and cold with lots of water. on the way up i noticed oklahomas abundantly filled creeks and ditches. now they were really showing off. i came to ride so i dressed up and topped off the bike. goal was 30 miles away in a town called muse. we all dressed up and picked up randy the last of the group to join in the march into the "rain forest". for 7 out of 9, it was our first experience with the hills of SE oklahoma. first 100yrds looked like home then it got different. we come to a creek and harley, our guide for the weekend, carried his wr across the creek after he rode in over his tailpipe. as others looked for an alternate, we watched him empty the airbox and muffler. crazy thing started within 10 kicks. we all make it across with much fanfare and all of this is within the first 1.5 miles. i start noticing these things called R-O-C-K-S. they were pretty much everywhere. looked like they were all the size of loaves of bread with nine sides. kinda like a makemefalldownagon in shape. in texas rocky means every 20yrds there is a rock in the ground sticking up. some go fast thru the rock and most dont. :thumb: 1.5 hrs in and mile 4 we come to a creek with an immediate dogleg straight up 25yrd hill. there is much debate and prepping of the hill. we eyeballed the hill like it was the playoff hole at the Masters and we were all caddies giving advice to the one about to attempt the hill. everybody took their shot with 3 out of nine clearing it. we did whatever it took to get everybody to the top. one of the group needed to be on the road by 3pm to make an appointment at the airport so we decide to make our way back. we worked our way up a hill in search of a gravel road but ended up on the nasty rockslide of the millenum. we finally bushwacked our way back to the bottom and found a way out. we cheated down a county road and hopped un US 271 for a quick ride to camp.

damage report included a cracked throttle tube on randy's bike and a some contusions on tony's wrist and thigh. thought darrin lost a lung once or twice but he got his color back within 20 min or so. :laugh: . lets see 11 miles and 5 were on pavement/gravel with an average of 3.1mph. wow!! someone so eloquently put it hey this is ADVENTURE riding!!! we all decided lunch was next so we piled into a couple of vehicles and went to town.........and listened to how good indian tacos were and how we were gonna get a bunch and pig out. i heard so much about indian tacos that i was getting suspicious. they started to sound snipelike. all i knew was that i wasnt going to be the one who tried to "order" indian tacos. turns out they are real but we didnt get any...........they were out of fry bread. we eat hearty and leave our money on the counter and head back to camp. in the process we lose the stillwater twins and JMD. Survivor Kiamichi continues....

its down to 6. daryl, i mean darrin, packs his tent and gives me a bottle of hp2. says his new green bike doesnt like it and bids us farewell. randy licks his wounds and removes his bike at tribal council. now its back down to the original 4. its camp drn vs allthingsmoto. we gather around the camp firering of water and make bets about how much gas required to get the swamp wood going. camp drn wins the challenge. its been 30 min since lunch and hey whats for dinner? we all get our cow slices and throw them on the grate. harley had this chicken steak. really, that sucker flamed up no matter where you put it. threw the taters on and cooked some groceries. food came off and poof it was gone......along with some beers. we are having some good political discussions.........nah just bs about all things important to bike nuts. the weather is dreary and cold but so is the beer so we continue until 11:00 or so. in go the ear plugs and off to sleep i go.

its sunday and full of that stuff that takes 8 minutes and 93 million miles to get here. SUNSHINE! weather guy is off by 24 hours on his forecast. tony is dinged and keith says back feels bad. its too nice to just load up. tony gives me blessing and harley and i head off into the woods. we run the same route as sat. but this time it goes a little quciker. i still didnt make the freaking hill. what took 3.5hrs on sat only takes 1.5 on sunday. harley is a great guide. he rides and waits on you like a good guide should. heck, he will even carry your bike when you are too tired to ride it. we high tail it back to camp and start loading up.

we say our good byes and they head out seconds before us. HA HA camp DRN wins Survivor Kiamichi. tony and i split the 1 million and are going to spend it in Moab Ut.

bottom line is the place is great and a huge change of pace for riders in the DFW area. we plan on being back with numbers.

hlguthery

Dec 10, 2002
Well for those that dont know I am the "Harley". These DRN guys have to be some of the nicest guys around. I cannot tell you how many times I was thanked for this or that. I was feeling pretty bad because I got these guys lost and we were on some of the gnarliest trails SE Oklahoma has to offer. Heck JMD refused to let me buy my own lunch (oh and sorry about the Indian Tacos). Tony and Gene took care of me better then my mother would have and Daryl I mean Darren was always around when I needed a hug. The stillwater guys Derek and Jeff were great and too nice (when someone offers you their extra pillow because you dont have one TAKE IT).

When you guys are ready to go back please let me know. I had a great time. I will try to wrangle some who knows the trails better in to the trip.

Oh and Gene great write up. I had no idea there was money at stake. I guess you guys deserve the $$$$. I really enjoyed meeting new folks and a great weekend. THANKS!!!!

GhostRider32

Feb 10, 2004
LOL, I'm gonna work on this out of shape thing, that way I don't lose my lungs anymore. Better yet, I don't need to worry about it. If I give Harley a big hug, he'll carry me and my bike on his back the whole 35 miles. :yeehaw: I had a great time as did everyone else. :)

Top Bottom