YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
I had a great time out there this weekend. After a really hesatant last week weather or not I was going I am really glad I went. I had a good time.

Got to meet a few new DRN members. Most of which I cant remember there names.

Saturday was spent on the kids trail. 35 miles total. Little Digger is getting pretty fast these days. Never ceases to amaze me out there.

Sunday I pawned him off and hit the Big O with another buddy. We took off after the sweep crew had left. I couldn't help think that "this is a woodsy ride in the making" We caught the sweep crew within about 45 min, after 1st helping a corner worker get her Xr started. We did some single trackin and some dual sporting, picking and choosing the best parts of the trail in woodsy fashion. Had a hoot.

Got a few pictures for you all

Camp cook....Fast Freddy T and his stylin neck gear.

Freddy, Mweissen, and one other fella that I cant remember's camp

Camp yzman

More campers

Trailer city and the kids training in the distance

Whats his face?

And one wadded up KTM. This bike was one week old. He sold a XR and a quad to get it. This fella did this Friday when the throttle stuck in 2nd gear. He pasted a tree at warp speed. Luchly he walked away from it with just a few bruises. Oh and he had also got a nice ticket from the DNR just a little bit before this happened. Talk about kicking someone in the nads when they are down :(

LH side

RH side

Steering

Pipe

Wheel

Woodsy I hear you were there. I was taking the kid swiming up at the lodge when you stopped by. Although when I was driving back to the trailer I heard some open piped monster taking off down the road. I hear tell it was some madman on some chopped out creation wearing some goofy helmet and sportin a mullet. Any idea who that may have been?

Oh and Woodsy. As I was packing up to leave Huby (who was camped right next to me) pointed out the sound test sticker that they put on your throttle cable. He said " did you know they had a tribute to Scott on here?"

I was like HUH?

He said yea.....It says....."A tribute to all riders lost?" :nener:

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Ya want a nice hit on the wallet. The DNR was out in force with a zero tolerance policy going on. Meaning that you were getting a ticket. No warnings were given at all. I heard of one family that missed a turnoff and went past it on the road by like 50 yards. The DNR nailed them. Even though the reason they went past was cause of small kids that had to be stopped and turned around to get back to the trail the DNR wrote them up with (7) $100 tickets. OUCH!

I hear there was like 100+ tickets wrote on friday alone. Looks like the county got there quota filled for the next few months. Should be able to ride around there trouble free for quite some time as all the DNR folk will be at the coffie shop.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
THATS MY OLD BIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I sold it to a guy the Saturday of the spring pine cone! He was all pumped up about riding a 300 two stroke. He evidently spent a lot of time on a older XR, but also had a YZ426 as I recall.

Man I feel bad to hear something like that happened just after I sold it! I had rode it just the day before I sold it and no throttle sticking issues then! I dont know what to say about it!

I hope the guy is OK!

Mike

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Yea he looked ok. He was hurting and bruised but was walking around and telling the tale. I saw a wrapped up wrist and one hell of a bruise across his legs where the bars got him. But he was walking so thats good. Could of been a lot worse.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Oh - BTW - that bike had essentially a new motor - like about 15 hours on a from the main bearings on up rebuild - hundreds of $ of other new stuff i had just put into it! I suspect you will be seeing a 2000 300 EXc being parted out in the near future. The motor on it is solid!

Godzuki

Sep 22, 2004
so is the rumor true, that the little o is now or has always been off limits to non plated dirt bikes. now i knew the big o had sections of road where you had to have a plate, but i didnt know the little o was classified as needing to be street legal. that blows if it is. i kinda liked riding that trail, oh well just another reason to get my bike street legal.........................eventualy.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
Wow the DNR is really cracking down on things...I feel kinda bad for the family that got ticketed for going off the trail. Sounds like a fun event. We spent this past weekend trying to get some stuff moved into our new house.
The guy who crashed the 300 is lucky! He could have been hurt a lot worse

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
You can still ride the Little O. Its just the Big O, which runs right past Whiskey Creek, that needs to be street legal. yes the Big O does use portions of the Little O. But that dosn't mean that you cant ride the Little O unplatted.

Wolf Child

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 30, 2005
KTM Mike said:

I sold it to a guy the Saturday of the spring pine cone! He was all pumped up about riding a 300 two stroke. He evidently spent a lot of time on a older XR, but also had a YZ426 as I recall.

Man I feel bad to hear something like that happened just after I sold it! I had rode it just the day before I sold it and no throttle sticking issues then! I dont know what to say about it!

I hope the guy is OK!

Mike
Yep, Thats Darrel alright. I felt bad for him. :(

Wolf Child

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 30, 2005
KTM Mike said:
Oh - BTW - that bike had essentially a new motor - like about 15 hours on a from the main bearings on up rebuild - hundreds of $ of other new stuff i had just put into it! I suspect you will be seeing a 2000 300 EXc being parted out in the near future. The motor on it is solid!
I don't know about that... the header pipe was torn away from the head. and the expansion chamber was smashed flat. No telling how much damage was done without doing a complete teardown and testing.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
YZMAN400 said:
Ya want a nice hit on the wallet. The DNR was out in force with a zero tolerance policy going on. Meaning that you were getting a ticket. No warnings were given at all. I heard of one family that missed a turnoff and went past it on the road by like 50 yards. The DNR nailed them. Even though the reason they went past was cause of small kids that had to be stopped and turned around to get back to the trail the DNR wrote them up with (7) $100 tickets. OUCH!

I hear there was like 100+ tickets wrote on friday alone. Looks like the county got there quota filled for the next few months. Should be able to ride around there trouble free for quite some time as all the DNR folk will be at the coffie shop.

was sorry i missed it ..............now, not so sure. id rather not ride constantly pressured by the question in my mind "i am not possibly doing something wrong am i?"

as far as going to get the kids 50 yards down ....theyre lucky, if they decided to wait on them to come back they may be facing abandonment charges :coocoo: . those cops dont want this event to happen and the same will happen every year till theres no interest...ive seen it before. this thread has already discouraged at LEAST one person. cops dnr dont mess with functions that theres no interest in breaking up

my guess ,somebody big or somebodies do not like you good people for some reason

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
My bet is the Rites of Spring ride will move to another location next year.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
KTM Mike said:

I thought those graphics looked familiar! I was going to check some pictures to be sure.

Hey, looked like the front fender did OK!

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Wolf Child said:
Yep, Thats Darrel alright. I felt bad for him. :(

Wolf - if you see Darryl tell him I am sorry to hear of his crash. :(

It looks like he was haulin the mail when he hit. What a bummer. I am glad to hear he was not seriously hurt. He sure seemed pumped about going back to a two stroke. With any luck the pipe being torn away did not mess up the cylinder - but that should be evident externally. I cant see how any internals could of been messed up from the crash though? Regardless, I am glad he is OK physically - that is more important anyhow.

Wolf Child

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 30, 2005
KTM Mike said:
Wolf - if you see Darryl tell him I am sorry to hear of his crash. :(
It looks like he was haulin the mail when he hit. What a bummer. I am glad to hear he was not seriously hurt. He sure seemed pumped about going back to a two stroke. With any luck the pipe being torn away did not mess up the cylinder - but that should be evident externally. I cant see how any internals could of been messed up from the crash though? Regardless, I am glad he is OK physically - that is more important anyhow.

He lives like 3 miles from me. I was gonna stop by tomorrow and see how he's doing. I'll deliver the message.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Fred T said:

I second that opinion. The signs are clear that the Forest Service doesn't want us there, and the MCCCT staff appear to be fed up with it. Any thoughts on where it'll be? My vote is for the Kalkaska area and the Kalkaska loops. That loop is big enough to replace the Big O/Little O system, and there's no roaded areas, so road permits won't be needed. It's also all state land, so the feds would be out of the picture. There's two campgrounds already on the loop, and many close by. The only issue, and it would be a big one, is where the main camping, start site would be.

Back to this year's ROS, it was another great time. The group there were: YZMan400 and son, FredT, Fender, ET, Vman, Sally, Chance, Sparky, Debbie, MIndy, 70Marlin/Aaron and his brother, MIScott, Ron, Hubey, Smitdog, Zack, Maurine, McKenzie, Motomarie and Quinley, Napper, and special guest appearances by Woodsy and Larry's Road Show.

I was impressed by the ride that Sally and ET put in, great effort ladies!

I was thankful I was able to be physically back together enough to get in 81 miles, the last 30 being a combo of extra road with slices of trail thrown in. I can remember the docs telling me that maybe by July I'd feel like riding. Ha! What a treat to prove them wrong! Well, mostly - I spiked a good fever that night after the ride, but it came right back down by morning.

As with last year, half of us manageed to miss the cut-off AGAIN! The other half got there and beat the other half to the gas truck.

Saturday's dirt was perfect with the soaking rain we got Friday night, with only the last 10 miles having any dust associated with.

Reports at the camp were there were 940 bikers registered, and it probably grew from that number. Four hundred campsites were registered as well.

Thanks Fred for the great dogs on Saturday night. Sally, Debbie, Maurine and Motomarie (sorry if I missed anyone else) threw in some great dishes to go along with the dogs so if anyone went away hungry it was their own fault. While we all may complain about the whooped out trail, the dust, the DNR, we all manage to have a great enough time to want to come back next year.

Thanks for the great memories all!

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
I was at the prize drawing Sunday afternoon. Sounded like the Capital chapter folks were talking about moving the event for next year. Nothing on were. They were open to suggestions though.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001

Sounded like the Capital chapter folks were talking about moving the event for next year.

That’s a good thing………right? Then all the local business owners won’t have to be bothered by all those pesky dirt bikers wanting to spend their money on food, gas, lodging, etc.!

Imagine telling the bar owner that snowmobilers are no longer allowed to use the trail running past his establishment. Or, how about telling the person who owns the restaurant at the marina that power boats will no longer be allowed.

I sit next to a guy at work who owns a place at Whiskey Creek. He was there last weekend and he’s not a dirtbiker. He said “no big deal………….sure didn’t look like there were that many riders there”. Actually, he hates the Gestapo tactics of the FS and DNR as much as anyone because he can’t run his golf cart (legally) on the two trackers without risking a ticket. He did say that when he came home, the back way from Ruby Creek, he saw people out riding the two trackers after dark. That sure won’t help out the cause.

However, I wonder if the communists in the DNR and Forest Service will ever come to realize where their salaries come from and who actually owns the land (John Q. PubliC) that they are sworn to “protect”. I had this very discussion several years ago with a FS agent when I found a ticket on my windshield for parking along the PM River while fishing. I told the person that I was not going to pay the ticket because I had paid for the “privilege” of parking there when I paid my taxes on April 14th. Surprisingly, they let me off with a “warning”……….rotten suckers!

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Ok I just say whese photos of a ROS rider and had to share over here. This is too funny. This fella has to be a local rider :cool: Is he a relative of Darth Vader?

Picture #1

Picture #2

Picture #3

But hey he was out there and riding right :ride:

team-green32

MAGA
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 27, 2001
Chicago
On Sunday, I rode 97.4 miles.

Last edited:

Nestrick

Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 6, 2003
Hey Don & all who replied ...

Thanks for the great write up of the ROS ... all the neat pictures made it seem like I was there ... could almost smell the morning fog in the picture of Camp YZMAN.

Looks and sounds [reads?] like a good time was had by all with the possible exception of the dude who bought Mike's old KTM300. Funny, some of your pictures of the resulting carnage from this accident are making the rounds of the Internet ... I have gotten two sets mailed to me from folks outside DRN! It never ceases to amaze me how close knit our dirt biking community really is.

In another week or so I hope to be riding again ... my broken shoulder is healing fast and I am regaining my strength and mobility quickly now ... the compression break of a small bone inside the joint sure can cause a lot of pain ... hope to see some of you on the trails soon!

terry nestrick :cool:

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
darth is really gonna hate it one day when his dust mask ends up giving him a loose tooF :yikes:

Top Bottom