cleopatrisha

Dec 16, 2006
I have a couple of vintage yamaha 2 stroke dirt bikes and hate spending $9.00 a quart for Yamalube R. someone mentioned trying Rotella T instead at $9.00 a gallon. at my local Mart store I noticed Rotella makes 15w-40 as well as a 80w gear oil. I am confused should I put the gear oil in my motor or the 15w-40 motor oil? or should I try something else. the goal here is to use a cheaper quality oil.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Seems like lots of guys are making the jump to the Rotella T lately. I'm running it because of the Rekluse clutch in the YZ (it's what they recommend). No complaints here.

crashnburn

Apr 24, 2004
Have used the Rotella T 15-40 motor oil in my two stroke trans for three years, no problems. Just make sure you change at frequent intervals, usually every other ride for me.

Sapper33

Apr 15, 2007
on the topic of oils(sorry if this should be in it's own topic): I have two questions:

1) why exactly can motor oil be used in the tranny? It just doesn't seem right to me

2) If/when using gear oil in the tranny, which should be used: GL4 or 5? I know in my truck('86 Toyota) my tranny needs GL-4 and my diffs need GL-5

Ryan_KDX

Aug 18, 2002
I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the clutch. The 15w40 is light enough to allow the clutch to work like it should and heavy enough to still keep contaminents out of harms way. The gear oil (80w90) is too thick.
I dont no for sure though, thats just my unedumated guess.

As far as your Toyota, its just how that transmission is made I suppose. I mean, my 2000 Ford ranger, w/ a five speed, takes ATF, even though its a manual tranny.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
You should use the multi-grade Rotella engine oil (15w-40), as it has the most robust additive package, and the weight is suitable for the dirtbike.
The Rotella gear oils are too thick for use in a dirtbike tranny.
GF4 is the certification standard that you want, although the CI4 and CI4plus are quite sutible.

IMO, Rotella in either 15w-40, SAE 30/40 wt, and 5w-40 are hands down much better oils than anything with Yamalube on the bottle.

Top Bottom