whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Oh boy, oh boy, carnage in both mains? I got home too late to give feld mo money, maybe next time. Number 2 son did not make it back yet, maybe he will go on tour with the safety crew, he was the flagger in the first corner and his lead guitar bud threw the tuff blocks after the start. AT LEAST HE FINALLY HAS A JOB? He called and left a message, its like a dream come true? Calling Reed the winner is seemingly like making out with your sister, wonder why that is? Lap 15 something happened? The lites had Pourcel starting near the back? 4pm CST speed hd kicks off the lites first, and the SX class follows at 5! Chili made it down, hope he brought his cameras and lights! OH, and the Pastrana come back seemingly fizzled? He was like 3rd in b class practice, behind nolaw. LCQ was showing him in 3rd, and down and out??????

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I did not listen to the webcast, but caught the AMA "At the wire" on the web.

Looked like TP crashed himself out of a qualifying position in his heat. In the LCQ he was in 3rd and gaining on the last transfer before crashing out.

Speaking of crashes, I think JBS went down twice in his heat and got the 9th spot, barely avoiding the LCQ. In the main, he and Chad were gapping the field, and JBS eventually pulled a lead on Chad before going down. He did not gain on Chad after remounting.

Josh Grant led the first lap and then rode great after Reed and Bubba blasted past. Grant held 3rd the rest of the way.

Another strong ride by JLaw - looks like he was on Short's fender for 4th place the whole race. Millsaps and Windham got bad starts.

In the Lites, Pourcel must have crashed at the start, and worked up from near dead last to 5th. The top 4 were flying. Stroupe got Izzi at the end for 2nd. Judging by the lap times, it seemed Izzi gassed near the end.

Blair Wharton led wire to wire and nobody had anything for him. Excellent ride!

Anyways, it seems like some drama with crashes and some good racing, too, but not a whole lot of passing. Can't wait for the TV broadcast.

Last edited:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
James streak of heat race wins is done. The gap back to Grant was ridiculous. KW won a heat race, way to go. And yeah, this Wharton is flying for sure.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
TP was running fast but stalled the bike to lose his (6 or 7 place?) qualifier in the heat and then in the LCQ ....
He was back around 6 or 7 on start but moving up fast. jumped into second then bobbled and went back to 4. Still not giving up 2 thru 4 went into a corner and TP banged into Marsack and crushed his radiator. a lap later the bike siezed on the final lap with just half a lap tp go. he would have been in at that point if it had not happened. It was right in font of us and TP is typical style was still laughing and having a geat time. ONLY rider that can fail to make a main and get a standing ovation from the crowd. BTW 2 back flips from him tonight- one during intros over a bern that if he cught 10 feet of air I am as fast as RC and the second over the finish jump during the hot lap.

Bubba beat himself again Reed didn't have it to stay with him and was 7 or 8 seconds back with 5 laps to go whan JS got squirrely in the whoops and the going up the over/under his front tire buried into the face throwing him over the bars.

Pourcel looked like he just could not figure out the true american SX nitro circus track and never looked real comfortable or fast all night.

ODM2

Mar 16, 2009
Nice coverage Dave.

Really envious you guys went!!! Darn this crazy economy and limited fun tickets!!!

I can't wait to see the race later today.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
HiG4s said:
You do know Travis designed that track, right?

Really? WOW! Maybe they should have done some PR on that or mentioned it during the race a couple times or better yet Racer X and Cycle News should have interviewed him about it!

Yes... of course I realize he designed the track.

Doesn't mean he was prepared to race it. That track was different than any other track I have ever seen.

Ivan

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
while Reed might be the "grittiest" racer out there, and he has managed to be where he needs to when he needs to, he'll always have the fact that he's never beaten Stewart when Stewart didn't crash hanging over his head like the sword of Damocles.

Not that I'm a fan of either one, but I'm ready for Reed to beat Stewart straight up, then he can shut the critics (like me) up, and live up to his warrior status.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
Best track I've seen in a very, very, very...., very long time! :nod:

I'd like to see Travis do every track, from now on. He really is good at this! :cool:

By the way, I liked the track.

Ando400

May 2, 2002
XRpredator said:
while Reed might be the "grittiest" racer out there, and he has managed to be where he needs to when he needs to, he'll always have the fact that he's never beaten Stewart when Stewart didn't crash hanging over his head like the sword of Damocles.

Not that I'm a fan of either one, but I'm ready for Reed to beat Stewart straight up, then he can shut the critics (like me) up, and live up to his warrior status.

Or you could rephrase that as:

while Stewart might be the "fastest" racer out there, and he almost always sets the fastest lap times, he'll always have the fact that he very often crashes when under pressure hanging over his head like the sword of Damocles.

I am a Reed fan, but I'm ready for Stewart to show what it takes to win a championship, not just a race, and live up to his potential.

Davie

Mar 5, 2009
Im a Reed fan and loved the crash! anybody but Stewart can win and im happy heck the anouncers talks him up enough without him winning.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
XRpredator said:

I could tell Reed was all tore up about it on the podium grinning while he said "this proves the fastest guy doesn't always win."

If Reed wins the championship this year, he can probably say "I told you so" on Stewarts weakness" which seems to be that he has been so intent on proving that he is the fastest in the world that he crashed himself out of contention on 4? titles on the big bikes.

Neither had bike issues anyway...St Loius was about as straight up as it gets. It is obvious Stewart is under pressure being pts down and running out of races. Stewart pushing his luck until it runs out doesn't take anything away from Reeds more calculated win in my opinion.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I'm happy to see a close race for the championship. This season is exceeding my expectations.

I think Reed is riding faster than ever before, and if he can hold off Bubba, he will have a championship he can be very proud of.

When Bubba ripped off 7 straight wins after the A1 mishap, I thought he had overcome his tendency to push too hard. I figured he would just put distance on Chad the rest of the season, and go into Vegas with a big lead.

Bubba is rapidly getting to the point of losing the championship if he crashes again.

Now the pressure is ON.

B

biglou

Didn't they say if Reed could pull one more win he would wrap up the championship, assuming he and bubba ran 1-2 the rest of the season?

And yes, CR looks wicked fast on the yellow bike. I watched Bubba's crash in the main and called it before he did on the podium: He pulled neutral downshifting.

I agree with DBD, this season has been one of the best in a long time. Either that or my memory sucks.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
The championship is still, all in JBS's hands. CR or anyone else will benefit from his mistakes. All they can do is hope, and wait, or go for the first losers position. Not the best position to be in, IMO! Now, how these racers chooses to deal with this fact, is why I am not a CR fan..... I have said before, the gap to 3rd is even a bigger joke. The race was great, the action had to be way better there, the camera and editing can only show so much. Nolaw's speed is really impressive, especially for a B&B guy? The rhythm sections and track layout, if it was a little longer lap times, would make the perfect indoor track. Even at low 50's, it provided great action. Travis rode well, and MA is the new guy to just bounce into to pass, seemingly. Number 2 son flagged the first corner, he brought 1 autograph home, KW's! He also noted that TP is the best racer he has ever talked to? And he talked to a lot of racers this weekend! And there was a lites race also. The first time I have seen Pourcel out of rhythm, for 15 laps? 3 points gain per race left in SX, JBS still holds the balls.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
biglou said:
Didn't they say if Reed could pull one more win he would wrap up the championship, assuming he and bubba ran 1-2 the rest of the season?
Where's Nikki Numbers when we need her?

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Current JBS -11

Stewart 4 1sts and 1 2nd with Reed 1 1st and 4 2nds = net Stewart + 9. Stewart loses by 2.

I see what WFFR is saying, but I think its Reed's title to lose at this point.

Davie

Mar 5, 2009
Stewart is good that is for sure and it will be hard to keep him from winning the rest of the races. But im rooting for Reed..

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Before this season, I would say I liked/disliked them both equally. Big time Carmichael fan here.

Now I find myself hoping Reed wins the title. Usually I leave the room when they are interviewing Chad, so maybe that is why I like him more this year, lol.

The best possible way for Chad to win is beat JBS straight up at Vegas in an epic battle. That would be sweet to watch.

But the more likely scenario is Bubba finds another false neutral during the next 4 rounds and Chad safely races to a 2nd place in Vegas for the title.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Freakin' AWESOME track! Man it was a great reace to watch on TV and I can't imagine how cool it was to be there in the stands. I am really bummed out that Travis didn't make it to the main, that would have been really interesting.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
It was great to watch Travis again. His fun-loving nature is contagious. And that Rollerball impression at the end of the LCQ was priceless. I hope he tries again next year.

The track was outstanding. If lap times were another :10 longer it would have been ideal. Love the over/under. They should use that more often.

Ando400

May 2, 2002
Some interesting history...

- Of the 8 titles JS has competed in the last 4 years (4 MX, 4 SX) he has only completed every round on 3 occasions. If I was competing against him I'd be reasonably confident that he ain't gonna make it all the way, especially if under pressure...

- Reed's worst championship place in the last 6 SX seasons was 3rd in 2006 (equal points with Stewart but JS with more wins). Every other year has been first or second.

2006 was a very close season - CR, JS and RC all went to Vegas being able to win. RC took the title by two points.

As for winning the title but not being the fastest guy, in RC's titles in 2003 and 2006 he didn't win the most races either year.

As for Chad's best year I still think it was 2003 where he beat RC straight up 8 times. I think this year the big difference is that in past seasons his title hopes have been hurt by one or two mid pack finishes, whereas this year he has been on the podium every time.

I think on balance Chad probably has a slight advantage - he has the points lead, but knows he probably isn't going to win every race. Stewart on the other hand needs to win, knows Chad is going to be right behind him, and his record under pressure is pretty shocking.

Best of all, I've just moved to Toronto so I'll be watching my first SX in this part of the world this weekend!

Davie

Mar 5, 2009
I’m a new Super Cross fan always loved it but just started following it @ 36, anyway is there a certain length to a track just different obstacles? are all tracks the same length?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Ando400 said:
As for Chad's best year I still think it was 2003 where he beat RC straight up 8 times.

Chad was on fire during that streak, no doubt. But as a Carmichael fan, I feel compelled to point out RC had a big points lead after Chad had two poor finishes early in the season. By midseason RC's incentive was to slow down and win the title, rather than risk it all battling Chad for the race wins.

I agree that Chad is in a better position than JBS right now - I'd call Chad a slight favorite at this point.

I really hope Bubba does not throw it away - I want to see this go down to the wire!

Top Bottom