HUSAFREEK

Jul 21, 2000
I think I saw Tim Ferry pass and out run Ryan Hughes on the uphill at round 2. Was I dreaming? I didn't record it, oooops. Anybody else catch this? I think it was in the second moto.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Take two riders, same size, both bikes from a stand still, take off up the hill... still probably wouldn't determine which bike is "faster".

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
There is a very good cahnce that Ferry isn't on a 426, but something larger. I know that Button rode bigger bikes as did Henry.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
unknown

There's no reason to believe that Hughes is on a 450 either, other than what Honda wants to tell us.

Irish MXer

May 15, 2000
it would have just been easier to give the bike to tortelli and let huges stick to the 2-strokes.Seems like if they wanted it in the winners circle they wouldent have given it to huges.

hapanese

Stuff is good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 25, 2001
Here Here,
I watched Tortelli beat up on the competition over here in Japan on the Honda thumper in its infancy. Although, ( no offense intended to the Japanese racers) The racers here pale in comparison to the Pros in the U.S. I too would like to see Tortelli race the thumper in the nationals. I think he would do it some justice. Then again the CRF 450 might just be the key to success for LaRocco and his starting problem.

Irish MXer

May 15, 2000
yeah hapanese, that does sound like a good idea. Why not target who would buy most of the bikes and let LaRacco ride the bike. He is the "Vet." of the pro riders and It would probly let him get out in front like he cant seem to do with the 2-stroke. Another thing to think about is which one of the honda 250 guys is gona get sacked when RC begins with Big Red? Or will they just add another rider and keep lusk,tortelli,huges,laracco, and RC ?

hapanese

Stuff is good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 25, 2001
Good question,
Although LaRocco rides for Amsoil on a Honda. Honda has big bucks, and just might keep them all! Doubt it though. If I had to guess, I would say Hughs or Lusk will get sacked. Lusk has had some bad luck over the last 2 seasons, and I would think that his ride is on the line. I'm not sure, and I dont remember the source, but I think LaRocco was offered the 450 along with Tortelli last year and they both turned it down. I can't confirm that, so take it for what its worth. But man it sure would nice to see LaRocco win on the 450.:scream:

Tony Williams

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2000
Originally posted by IDkTm
There is a very good cahnce that Ferry isn't on a 426, but something larger. I know that Button rode bigger bikes as did Henry.

I believe the bike that Henry rode in '98 / '99 was actually about 440cc.

krash133

Feb 2, 2001
Factory Bikes

The factory bikes are just that, factory. Neither Ferry or Hughes' bikes are close to production bikes. The factories have tens of thousands of dollars invested in those machines. Reason why - well all the factories have a winning image to uphold. Win on Sunday - Sell on Monday.
So an accurate comparison of production bikes, needs to be done on production bikes. Unless your name is Ferry and Hughes, the closest you'll get to those factory bikes is by riding on a similarly shaped production model in your own garage.

Tony Williams

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2000
Caveat to Bigger CC's

I just want to point out that the bigger engines are only possible with a bike that is initially below the AMA displacement limits.

Currently, in the 250 class, that is 250cc for a two stroke (and must be a "production" bike, no handbuilt one of a kinds) and a 550cc four stroke (and I believe the AMA will match FIM with a 450cc limit very soon, if not already?).

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
450 limit

The new 450cc (four strokes in 250 class) limit for the AMA will kick in next season (Dowd is still riding a 520KTM this year).

Last edited:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Also, under the current rules, a new model can be raced for one year prior to production with no limits on 'works' parts. Next year, the bike must conform to the rules regarding production bits. IOTW, Ryno's Honda 4 stroke factory racer this year might be a true works bike and much more trick than next year's production bikes. Yamaha did the same thing with the YZ400.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by Irish MXer
it would have just been easier to give the bike to tortelli and let huges stick to the 2-strokes.Seems like if they wanted it in the winners circle they wouldent have given it to huges.

I think Honda made the right decision to put Hughes on the bike. He's been pounding out the laps on the sucker since the first of the year, and he's famous for being able to do lap after lap with consistent times all day long. Ryno has the seat time on the 450F, and Honda has the best chance of winning a National Championship with Tortelli on the bike he's used to (CR250), rather than unproven technology.

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
Hmmmm...

How do we know Dowd is really riding a 520?

Maybe its a 450..........:cool:

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i think honda put hughes on the four-stroke because it's a "can't miss" situation. hughes is not expected to contend for a title on it, so if he wins any races, that is just a plus. if he doesn't win, he wasn't supposed to anyway. either way, the bike still looks good.
if tortelli raced it and didn't win, like they expect him to, then the bike would look bad.
it's the very same reason they put voss on it in the last supercross.

as far as the 450 being a vet bike; it seems the four-stroke phase has passed here and many of the vet mxers have gone back to the two-strokes. maybe the honda will renew their interest in four-strokes.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
In the Uk 4 strokes are causing real problems due to excessive noise-the amca are thinking of banning aftermarket exhausts and are trying to get a stealthy one made.As for Dowd riding a 520(or is it a 450) it could also be a 540 or 570.:p

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000

Dowd on a 540 this year? Yeah, that's were I'd place my bet......:p

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
It better not be a 570......

Maybe KTM is testing the waters for next year, to see how well the bike can do at 450 cc's. Its hard to say this year for sure what displacement the teams are running on their 4-strokes. But next year its a sure bet they will all be 450 cc's.

I think Hughes was a good choice. He is doing just fine. He is very capable of winning a moto or two. And more importantly he will not make the bike look bad......

krash133

Feb 2, 2001
Dowd's bike can't be a 570 becaause the AMA displacement limit is 550cc for the four-strokes right now. I believe any of the strokers out there can run to this displacement because they do not have to be production bores or strokes on the motors. Hughes doesn't need production anything. Just trying to help clear the foggy air up.;)

Tony Williams

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2000
Originally posted by dirt bike dave
Also, under the current rules, a new model can be raced for one year prior to production with no limits on 'works' parts. Next year, the bike must conform to the rules regarding production bits. IOTW, Ryno's Honda 4 stroke factory racer this year might be a true works bike and much more trick than next year's production bikes.

The Honda CRF450R seems to be a "production" bike in every sense, presumably for testing. It might even be 450cc's !

Yamaha did the same thing with the YZ400.

In 1997, the Yamaha that Doug rode was the "YZM400 (f?)", and featured hand built exotica like engine cases cut out of solid blocks of AL. The Honda seems much further along in the developement process at this point than Yamaha was at the YZM's introduction. Of course, Honda has had FOUR YEARS !!!!!

Top Bottom