Round 5 - Six Gun Shot Out - River Valley MX

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Round 5 - Six Gun Shoot Out - River Valley MX

After five days of triple digit temps and very high humidity, race day for Round 5 of the Six Gun Shoot Out at River Valley MX in Watts, OK dawned with a forecast in the low 80’s, no humidity and a low for Saturday evening of 62 degrees! You couldn’t ask for a better forecast in the middle of July! Even better the promoter completely changing the track. The direction was reversed and all obstacles were new, big, fast and very forgiving. O, I forgot to say the new layout was very fast!

MX547 and I pitted together along with another fellow Vet Racer that I bummed a ride with since my son took my truck to play a gig two hours east of were we live. After setting up camp and getting ready for practice we settled in for an awesome night of racing both on the track and on the bench!

The cool temperatures brought out the Vet racers, which for the first time in ages allowed the Over 30 and Over 40 classes to run by them selves. I enjoy running with your class verses with another, as it can be difficult to know whom to race at times. Besides the normal cast of assorted characters, there were a few new faces that came out to play.

After two sessions of practice and walking most of the track both MX547 and I liked what we were seeing. For all new obstacles, the track had worked in nicely with no ruts on the jump faces which allowed you to use any line down the 5 gear pinned Autobahn.

For the first moto I lined up to the right side of the doghouse with MX547 to the left side. I’m still a little timid with the starts, but did come out of the hole with a good drive and made it to the first turn with the rest of the pack only to be pinched out in the second turn. I did much better verses two weeks ago at Round 4. I keep the rider in front of me honest for 3 laps before slowing down from lack of endurance.

The second moto I took the same gate to the right of the doghouse, only this time I rode a nice wheelie to the first turn. When I tapped the clutch to bring the front end down and set up for the first turn I slowed too much and two riders went around me in the second turn that is right after the first turn. The pack went to the right down the first straight and with all the roost from the 450’s I put my head down, aimed for the left side which was the inside of the third corner. When I raised my head, It was past time to be braking for the inside line. I contemplated t-boning the guy that was in the inside line, but then remembered I’m not MA. :p The rest of the second moto was uneventful with the exception of finely clearing one of the larger tabletops down the back Autobahn.

This was one of the most enjoyable evenings at the track I’ve every had. Temps just right, fun track, the big 450 and my good friend MX547 to bench race with. I’m a little frustrated with my speed and confidence, but it will come back with more practice.

The next and last round of the Six Gun Shoot Out is August 19th. Come on out with MX547 and myself. A great time is guaranteed.

http://www.rivervalleymx.com/index.htm

Did I say the track was like the Autobahn with large jumps? :nod:

Last edited:

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
the over 40 class there is fast. i'm riding close to my limits and still getting beat. to give you an idea, the guy that went 1/1 in over 30 also rode over 40. he went 3/2 in over 40.

i screwed up in the first moto. i didn't put on any tear-offs. i didn't think i would need them. of course my goggles got plastered with roost on the start and i couldn't see worth a darn but i still had a pretty good ride. i finished fourth but was close enough that if any of those ahead of me went down, i could've got them.

the second moto, i put on one tear-off, just for the start. i needed it and used it about half-way through the first lap. this time, i tried some different lines. i felt faster but finished further behind. i did get to battle my new arch-rival for a lap or two and that was fun. he kept making mistakes and letting me catch him. then he would pass me back. i did manage to put a couple legitimate passes on him by just holding the throttle on longer (i think it scared him) but by the end of the moto he had pulled a few seconds on me. once again, i finished fourth for fourth overall. i moved into third in the series standings and i should be able to hold that at the final round. they are also giving away a new bike at the final. i hope if i don't win it that tim does. then he could sponsor me. ;)

did tim mention how fast this track is? there are four sections where i use fifth gear. three of those sections pinned. despite that, it is a very beginner and vet friendly track. out of the last five or six times i've practiced or raced there, there hasn't been a single injury that i'm aware of.

okla/ark/mo, ks riders need to come ride with us. we're having the times of our lives. :cool:

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
mx547 said:
they are also giving away a new bike at the final. i hope if i don't win it that tim does. then he could sponsor me. ;)

If I win the bike which is a honest to goodness 1 2 5 two stroke its going into storage for 20 years as new old stock to be sold -bay. :) I figure that will finance our racing for the over 60 class. :ohmy: :whoa:

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
that's a long drive from okc. you're welcome to crash at my house, unless of course you are an axe murderer. then you can crash at sawblade's house.

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
mx547 said:
that's a long drive from okc. you're welcome to crash at my house, unless of course you are an axe murderer. then you can crash at sawblade's house.

:yikes:

Top Bottom