the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
I figured I'd check out Rowher Flat after all this time ... went on Monday. Only like 35 minutes from my place.

There were 2 trucks in the entire staging area when I arrived. Pretty dead. The guy closest was on a new KTM 400 G. His friend arrived a little later so I joined up with them (Mike and Rob). Turns out Rob on the KTM is the same guy who was walking out of Eric's Motorcycles in Pasadena with his new KTM as I was walking in to pick up my engine only a few weeks earlier. I thought he looked familiar. Strange coincidence.

Rowher Flat is pretty gnarly. Many rocky hill climbs and descents. Big ones. My friend Jon who got me into riding hates this place - now I know why (he hates rocks). I loved it !! We did 50 miles (I had 56) and I still had gas left. Of course that doesn't take into account the fact that I coasted with the clutch in for several miles on the way back just to be safe. They told me it was a 35 mile loop. Well it turns out it was 35 miles one way ! We took the shortcut back and made it but I was sweating bullets.

So the riding ... it's very, very hardpacked and rocky. Kinda like the hardpack stuff at Phelan but rougher and the climbs are generally bigger and way rockier. Alot more technical than Phelan. This place was a good challenge for the 1-2-5. I'll have to say the bike took it on admirably ... I actually don't think it's ever run better. You get really bounced around at Rowher Flat and the climbs might present a bit of pucker factor for some ... they are really rough and steep with lots of ruts and broken up rocks. There was also a really fine stretch of woods single-track which we descended on the way in and climbed on the way out. Switchbacked, rutted, with some rocky uphills. Rowher Flat is pretty technical.

Anyway it was a great place and Mike and Rob were cool so I told them to look out for our rides ... they seemed into it. In fact Rob had happened across a few of our Phelan posts and had been wondering what it was like there. The more the merrier.

We've gotta all get together and do Rowher.

Last edited:

EM rider

Apr 27, 2001
Eric,
Thanks for a great ride yesterday. That was one of the best I've ever had at Rowher/Drinkwater. Your bike must have been running well because the way it pulled some of those steep/rocky hills was very impressive. I'll look for future Phelan ride dates and hope to see you there.
Rob

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Rob - heads up - there's a ride this Sunday at Phelan. Check the "Places to Ride" forum. I won't be there but many of the other blokes will. Should be a good one as usual ..

Top Bottom