Royal Purple Synthetic 2-Stroke Oil

Dragmeistr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 14, 2002
Has anyone ever used this or have any comments on it? We use their oils for our race cars with great success, but have yet to try it in my bike. Here is the data sheet:

Royal Purple® 2-Cycle TCW III is recommended for use in both pre-mixed and oil injected gasoline two-cycle engines in outboard motors, motorcycles, jet skis, chain saws, etc.

Royal Purple® 2-Cycle TCW III is a high performance engine oil that improves performance and reduces wear in both standard and high performance two-cycle gasoline engines.

Royal Purple® 2-Cycle TCW III's synthetic solvency keeps spark plugs and exhaust ports clean for maximum engine efficiency. This engine cleanliness combined with Royal Purple® 2-Cycle TCW III's low coefficient of friction promotes increased horsepower and engine speed.

Engines operate with greater combustion efficiency and go longer between overhauls when lubricated with Royal Purple® 2-Cycle TCW III.

Royal Purple 2-Cycle TCW III® is suitable for premix in snowmobiles but due to cold soak (low temperature pumpability issues on oil injected snowmobiles) Royal Purple Snow 2-C™ is recommended for operation in temperatures below 20° F.

Standard Packaging
Part Number

Case of 12 1-Quart Bottles
Available in Cases Only

Case of 4 1-Gallon Bottles
Available in Cases Only

5-Gallon Pail

55-Gallon Drum

Typical Properties*

Viscosity

cSt @ 40°C

cSt @ 100°C

SUS @ 100°F

SUS @ 210°F

Flash °F

Fire °F

Pour °F

Corrosion Oxidation Tests

3 hrs. @ 210°F
1a

24 hrs. @ 210°F
1a

Rust Test

Fresh Water
pass

Salt Water
pass

Dry Air Oxidation
(<= 6% to pass)

312 hrs. @ 203°F,
% viscosity increase

4-Ball Wear Test

1800 RPM @ 130°F,
20 kg. Scar Diameter

4-Ball Weld Test, kg.

*ALL PROPERTIES ARE TYPICAL AND MAY VARY

zero_it

~SPONSOR~
May 20, 2000
Sorry to say I've run that crap. Back in 1994 I ran it for a very short time in a '93 RMX 250. Prior to that I had been running Golden Spectro at 50:1. That was a fairly dirty oil and I was looking for something that would run cleaner. I hooked up with the Royal Purple rep at a trade show and he sent me a case of their 2-stroke oil to try out. I mixed it at 50:1, completely drained my tank & carb of the Spectro, fueled up with the Royal Purple mix and went riding. The temperature was in the 30's with a little snow on the ground, which never bothered me or my bike before. In 10 miles I fouled 3 spark plugs and bee-lined it back home before I ran out of new plugs in my fanny pack. I talked it over with Royal Purple and they said I needed to lean out the fuel mixture when running in ambient temperatures less than 40 degrees, he suggested trying 70:1. I called BS, there's no way I'm going to mix special gas for different weather. The next weekend it was a bit warmer and the Royal Purple didn't jinx me. The following weekend was a local enduro. I fouled two plugs in the first 35 mile loop. At the gas stop I drained the gas, bummed some 50:1 Spectro mix, gassed up and finished the next 40 miles no problem. The next weekend I switched to Maxima 2-stroke oil and never looked back. The rest of the Royal Purple has been burned in brush piles over the years.

cfjulian

Sep 11, 2009
Royal Purple tcw-3 2-cycle oil

I recently had a bad experience with a group of Stihl saws and one Homelite after switching to Royal Purple brand 2-cycle oil. I had used it previously on my McCulloch saw with no trouble and on my Echo weed whipper. When I tried using it on my big Homelite saw, the saw seized up. Since it was old, I thought it was just tired. A couple months later, I hired a sawmill to cut a white oak into timber. This tree was 40" in diameter. A friend cut it down and then I had to cut off the branches and split the main trunk which was too large for the sawmill. First, my Stihl 260 quit after 1/2 hour. I thought that maybe the plug fouled out. I then got out my 660 and started splitting the log. Since we were looking for 17' timbers, this was a long split through a big tree. I cut for about 10 minutes and the 660 stalled and would not restart. I went to my other 660 and resumed the cut. After only 5 minutes, that too quit. I took these saws back to the dealer to be looked at. In the mean time, I ended up buying an 880 in order to complete the job. They supplied the first tank of gas. I got through the rest of the tree with no problem. When I went to pick up my saws, the repair man a Weingartz told me that all three had scored the pistons and cylinders because of bad oil. I had been running 25 to 1 Royal Purple oil. This was the air cooled variety. The repairs amounted to just under $2000.00 for these three plus the Homelite that had burned up earlier. I contacted the dealer for Royal Purple. He said to bring in a sample of the fuel. Weingartz gave me a jar of the fuel from the tank of one of the 660s. The people at Royal Purple tested the oil and told me that it was actually more like 20 to 1 but thought that in the handling and transport, some gas may have evaporated. The rep said that the oil was indeed their synthetic oil and that it passed all of their tests. I wanted to know if they were willing to pay for all the damage to my saws. The rep at Royal Purple told me no, the oil met their specifications and so they would not pay for any damage. He did tell me that the oil was the right type for air cooled chain saws and that he had used it extensively in his weed whipper with no trouble. I asked if I had to sue to get satisfaction. He then said that once a law suit was discussed, end of discussion, I would need to talk to their attorney. Since getting the saws back, I have extensively used all of them with no trouble using the Stihl brand oil and cutting big oaks and ash trees. I no longer buy anything from Royal Purple, even though I was buying their lubricating oil by the drum at work. The TCW-3 oil is not rated properly and will not run well in large hot running 2-cycle engines.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
cfjulian said:
The TCW-3 oil is not rated properly and will not run well in large hot running 2-cycle engines.

There are a large number of drag racers and road racers running high horsepower air cooled RD twins and air cooled Kawasaki triples whose experience is the exact opposite. They'll tell you Royal Purple is the second coming.

If what you say was representative of the oil's capabilities , then Royal Purple would have gone out of business years ago.

Your story has too many holes in it to be taken seriously as an indictment of the product. The fact that it's your first and only post on DRN and you dug up a 3 year old post makes you look like just another Internet extortionist trying to slam a company who doesn't appear to be at fault.

Your method of analysis is weak, and so is your rant. Take it some where else.

Last edited:

cfjulian

Sep 11, 2009
Royal Purple Synthetic 2-cycle oil

You can believe what you apparently have already decided is correct. My comments are from my own experience with the Royal Purple product and its representatives. When I first had the problem, I thought that I must have gotten a bad batch of the oil, since I had been using it for 6 months with no trouble in my smaller saws and in the large saws in the winter and had already used 2 quarts the previous winter. I normally do not do much saw work in the summer. The rep from Royal Purple claimed that it was not a bad mix. My real problem was using it in hot weather. I have always run a 25 to 1 mix because the Homelite called for it. I would rather retune the others than keep two separate fuels available. I currently own 9 chain saws and my crew runs all of them relatively hard. I supply the saws for NOHLC, a land conservancy, and Headwaters Trails, a trails group. I cannot be bothered to tune up saws and sharpen chains because I work a 12 hour day. I normally have Weingartz tune my saws for me so I can spend my time doing other things that I enjoy.

I could have spent much more time outlining a much longer story but decided to keep it short rather than bore you with all the details. I can say that in the past, I have purchased Royal Purple products by the drum and that I will never use them again.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom